Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 13, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Maya Rudolph

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Maya Rudolph

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to the Ladies Of Comedy. Theses are the gals who made us laugh and, on occasion, brought a tear to our eyes. They are visionaries, capturing aspects of the human condition while holding up a mirror to the world. Their characters, style, and phrases have helped form our daily vernacular in ways we are not even always aware of - but that is the power of comedy and the magic these ladies all possess. Breaking ground while breaking all the rules?

The always outrageous Maya Rudolph.

If this diva sees a way to get a laugh? She so goes there. 

Fearless. Confident. Living out loud.

She's equal parts brassy and demure. The color pallet of emotions she has to work with reads like an ever-evolving kaleidoscope. 

Her brand of comedy is bigger than life, a life she constantly seizes by the balls and drags around behind her. Oh, yeah... there's no keeping up with this comedic icon.

Braying and slaying, the number of classic comedic moments astounds. And she shows no sign of stopping. 

Her secret weapon? She's always kept it real, always lived a full-bodied life. It's kept her grounded... and smart, whip smart.

This combination of beauty, talent, and drive?

Well, it's safe to say we've only seen the first two acts of this epic production.

My advice?

Stay tuned.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Being A Funny Lady


"I learned the enormous power of writing for yourself, especially now that people seem to be receptive to the fact that women can write."

"I've never set out to write a funny movie or be a funny comedian as a woman. I am a woman. I don't really have a choice in the matter. My goal is just to be funny."

"I like being a funny lady. I think there's nothing sexier than a funny lady."

"I really love laughing."


"Before I had children, everything about my life was devoted to Saturday Night Live."

"I've been writing joke songs since I was a kid and it served me well at SNL. I can write those in my sleep. In fact, I have."

"I like comedy as a group sport."

"I don't know if comedy is a male sport. I always wondered that."

"Without a doubt in sketch comedy there are fewer women than men."


"I never thought I'd get a chance to do what I'm doing. It's such a dream."

"To have your childhood dream realized is a really big deal."

"When I'm acting, I'm much taller and thinner in my mind. Then I see myself and I'm like 'Oh, right. I forgot. That's what I look like.'"

"I feel like I'm a drag queen."

Shia And Maya - Maya Rudolph and Shia LaBeouf
SNL

Five Minutes Of Maya Rudolph's Funniest Moments
Netflix Is A Joke

I'm Your Mother - Maya Rudolph
SNL

And one last parting shot...

"I was a loud child, and if my mother sang to me, I would be quiet."

"My mom was black and my dad is Jewish, and I lost my mom when I was seven. That made me feel really different from other kids."

"Most of my life I didn't feel very normal. There's definitely been some moments where I feel like, all right, I've finally graduated and I'm a normal lady."

"To grow up with the loss of your mother is a scar that never goes away."

"There are days when I wonder why my mom couldn't be here to see this."

No comments: