Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 20, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Selena Gomez

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Selena Gomez

In my own personal big gay church there is a wing dedicated to those who belong to the Rhythm Nation. These divas got us to think, encouraged us to love and respect ourselves, made us feel sexy as hell and... most importantly, got us to dance!

One such diva?

Selena Gomez.

This diva is no man's valet.

Beautiful. Petite. Gifted.

This Disney Princess went on to establish her own kingdom... and won a legion of fans doing so.

Her music? Fun. But also... surprisingly deep and dark.

Her fame? It's not come without a price. Still, she's navigated it well. Don't let her persona fool you, she's not as fragile as she looks. She's a fighter, a survivor, and driven to succeed. 

Her future? Well, that's going to be interesting. She's multi-talented, able to leap in so many directions. It will be fascinating to see what she picks to do next. 

In the meanwhile, she's concentrating on acting - opposite a pair of industry legends - and holding her own.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic: Being Famous
 

"I want to keep pushing myself so I never feel settled. I don't really know if it's going to end up working. I'm stressed out most of the time."

"People are so terrified of other people. I see it in my generation a lot. There's so much anxiety and angst, and the pressure just keeps getting worse."

"I can count on one hand the people I could call and who would be there for me."

"I have a lot of wonderful people in my life - probably five, collectively - who I can tell everything to."

"If you have three people in your life that you can trust, you can consider yourself the luckiest person in the whole world."

"I don't trust anyone... It's something that I have to live with, and I have to find the balance of who I want in my life and who isn't good for me."

"You are who you surround yourself with. I know that's such a cliché quote, but it's true."

"Success is nothing if you don't have the right people to share it with; you're just gonna end up lonely."


"I'm not perfect. I make mistakes."

"I just try to be the best I can, but I'm human."

"I'm human, I'm not perfect. I make mistakes all the time, but I guess my job is to keep those mistakes to myself, which I'm already fine doing and just try to be the best I can be."

"There's such an emphasis on people being the perfect thing and then destroying them because it's good press."

"It'd be really nice to sit down with all the people who have hurt me and tell them all the reasons that they've affected me."

"I think it's healthy to gain a perspective on who you are deep down, question yourself, and challenge yourself; it's important to do that."

"If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken."



"My happiness is not dictated on this business. Once I realized that, everything kind of changed."

"I don't want people to look at me as someone who is just this celebrity person."

"This is a very superficial job. I sit in a chair for two hours and get hair and makeup done and talk about myself in interviews. That's a very vain thing to do. And I do get caught up in it sometimes."

"I would try to promote something that I loved, and the entire interview would be about my personal life. I would leave a room feeling defeated, feeling embarrassed, but I would always make sure to put that smile on my face because I wasn't going to let them get to me."

"For a while, my private life was the most talked about thing."

"It's so disappointing that I've become a tabloid story."

"It's awful walking into a restaurant and having the whole room look at you, knowing what they're saying."

"Most of the time, people say negative things for a reaction, and I can't even bear to give them the satisfaction. So there's something that I gain from feeling like I'm the bigger person, from walking away from a situation."

"Sometimes you have to lie to yourself to get through the criticism, and then you're in your closet crying. It's been like that for me a couple of times, but I only want to learn from those things."

Love You Like A Love Song - Selena Gomez and The Scene

Hands To Myself - Selena Gomez

Look At Her Now - Selena Gomez

And one last parting shot...

"P. Diddy gave me his valet ticket once... because he thought I was the valet lady."

  

No comments: