Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2022

Acquired Tastes XLIII: Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 107: HIS69, Part 36 of 44


Acquired Tastes XLIII
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 107
HIS69, Part 36 of 44

The HIS69 imprint was active from 1971 thru 1988, delivering an astounding 531 titles. Surrey House, Inc. / Surree Ltd, Inc. of San Diego and Santee, California are responsible for this imprint which was distributed by the same company as Trojan BooksManhard Books, Gay Books and Gay Way Books; the Zorro Distribution Company, also operating out of San Diego.

It should be noted that many of these titles, with original artwork included, were simultaneously republished under the Gay Books imprint and then, later, minus the artwork, were also republished under the ManPower imprint.

The artwork for the HIS69 books would go through only two minor shifts with all the covers featuring ink drawings by various uncredited illustrators - artwork quite similar to what we saw with the Manhard imprint.

We did well this week; like old times: eleven out of twelve covers. 

Notell Motell III 
Author: Ace
HIS69545

Well, I finally found one. Last week we featured parts I & II of this series, but failed to find the covers. I must say, this cover isn't what I would have expected given the title. But I do like the little punk kid, especially his stitched-topped, side-open skintight pants

This series transferred from HIS69 (possibly because the imprint ended) to Adam's Gay Readers, where they peeled out another four books.

--- ---

Summer Sex Mates 
Author: John Hartley
HIS69546

'Now try the best', indeed! Looks like blondie is ready to take his latest discovery out for a quick test drive. Adore the split side of blondie's little athletic shorts. Which reminds me, I need to get a new pair for the prairie. All that quick on and off has stretched out the elastic in the waistband of the two pair I wear there.

--- ---

Tender Loins
Author: Bjorn Peters
HIS69547

Cute couple. The pretty ones always manage to find one another. Sigh. Young love. These days, I enjoy watching it bloom from afar. Feeling matronly about my young flock at the prairie. Watching them pair up and frolic about in the tall grass? Well, it beats sitting at home.

--- ---

Dial M For Meat 
Author: J. W. Schooter
HIS69548

Well, at least it's not murder!

The idea of ordering up some sexy stud like Asian take-out food? Not for me. I don't find the idea of commerce meeting sexy time very appealing. A financial transaction to seal the deal kills the vibe for me, but to each their own, Looks like blondie has ordered up a sweet looking pony boy. Hard to resist the cut of those jeans! Seems quite the value! Let's hope he gets the bang of his life for his bucks.

--- ---

Growing Pains
Author: Michael Scott
HIS69549 

Having had my hands cuffed behind my back, I must say... it is not comfortable at all. So, for those who can stand it? More power to you. This little piggy seems all bound up as that dom works his hole. I found myself in a similar situation in St. Paul once. The first two times we played, the gentlemen took me into his dungeon for fun and games. But he must have formed a bit of fondness for my form, for the third time he invited me into his bedroom... and yes, those bedposts sure do come in handy!

--- ---

Lincoln Park Studs
Author: Carl Enders
HIS69550

Lincoln Park is a section of Chicago which includes The Lincoln Park Zoo and Conservatory. I don't know if those happen to be cruisy, gay-friendly areas, but I bet our good friend Sixpence over at Lo Imprescindible might be able to clue us in.

These two boys appear to be doing it in the bed of a pick-up truck, which, in a pinch, will work. It sure brings a whole new meaning to the practice of tailgating!

--- ---

Satanic Suck 
Author: J. W. Schooter
HIS69551

I am 100% sure that if this came up for auction at eBay, it would fetch a hefty price, nearing or exceeding the $100 mark. Why? Because, even though the cover isn't exactly the sexiest thing ever, the subject material holds a special fascination for some collectors. Personally, I find rituals of this nature a tad yawn inducing. I guess its from all those years doing theatre, but I am totally over the whole costumes, music, script, and drama thing. Maybe it reminds me too much of organized religion - which, actually, is what Satanism is all about. Well, to each their own, but... I'd rather sit under a tree reading a book.

--- --- 

Boystud Holiday
Author: Ward Michaels
HIS69552

Sorry about the absence of the border, but this is the best I could do for this one. I also am not sure why it has that fleshy/pink wash to it. I don't believe that would be found if you purchased the actual book. Anyhoo... hooking-up while on holiday? It used to be a lark for me, but more and more, I find it to be a waste of time. It's a matter of where you want to put your energy. Do you want to be cruising the entire time? Your eyes glued to Grindr, scoping out potential playmates? Or... do you want to live in the moment and drink in your surroundings?

I have a feeling many of you practice the latter and end up hooking-up anyway (which is how gay bars used to work before cell phones and the internet changed everything.) That seems a natural part of being on holiday. I tend to take it a bit more... seriously. Or used to. I'm lightening up. Getting me some strange? Not as important as it once was. I'd rather go to a museum. Or stare at the ocean. I think about past trips and have to say? I really missed out on taking in the scenery. Oh, I saw plenty. And did plenty. Hmmm... in hindsight? Maybe I did too much!

--- ---

Gay Brothers I 
Author: Dirk Van Damm
HIS69553 

Incest! With a promised sequel!

I have to say, I'm not understanding this illustration. Are they in prison? A men's room? I can't tell. And, given the genre, I will most likely never bother to find out.

I have an older brother. Sexy is not what comes to mind when I think of him. His is more a story of needed/deserved comeuppance.

--- ---

Town And Gown Sex 
Author: Andrew Martin
HIS69554

I had to look-up this phrase. Town and gown refers to the relationship between citizens of a college town and the students and faculty. So, the above illustration would seem to have something to do with a frat house and going 'greek' in the most delectable way possible. If you must wear a toga? Keeping it short is a great fashion choice. Whether you choose to wear anything underneath it? Well, that's a matter of what kind of attention you're looking to attract. You go freeballing at my frat house? Oh, yeah, I'm gonna pledge you... pledge you real hard.

--- ---

Sonny Side Up 
Author: Carl Creamum
HIS69555 

It took me a while, but I finally discerned what is taking place on this cover. It's a bike shop and the seated gentleman in the cap is holding aloft a bike tire which is attached to an air pump. A very curious scene to choose to capture, but I guess it gets extra points for uniqueness. Having frequented a number of local bike shops, I can attest... the staff does tend to be of the hunky/sexy variety. Makes me want to get my bike serviced on a more frequent basis.

--- ---

Horney House Boy 
Author: Chris Carver
HIS69556 
(Cover Not Found)
 
This is the only one I couldn't come up with this week. 

I always laugh when I see some aging queen advertising on Grindr for a house boy. I get it. It's a win/win for both parties, but I can't imagine that being the basis of your relationship with someone you live with. Seems it would have the potential to be fraught with drama. I did know someone who had such a relationship. The energy in the house always struck me as strained and odd and weirdly sexual... but then, that could have been my imagination at work. 

--- ---

And that's all for now.

Next week? Another dozen scintillating, titillating titles.

Will we find them? Tune in and find out.

Until then...

Thanks for reading!

Sunny Side Up Summer - Bob's Burgers
from The Bob's Burgers Movie

4 comments:

whkattk said...

Well, now...a few of those covers are quite.... Uh, revealing. LOL.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ohhh
Some of the covers ARE racy! Love me some smut that's smutty. And I'd love for those running shorts to come back. I was looking at some vintage photos and men used to go out in crop tops, running shorts and tube socks. Oh, Adidas shoes. Hot.
And I asked around and it seems that area has never been too cruise-y? There were other areas near the lake that were iconic cruising spots in the seventies and eighties, though...

XOXO

Deliciousdeity said...

Dial M! OMG hahaha love it. Commerce and sexy time, I concur. I think my favourite title is 'Boystud Holiday'. It has a nice solid ring to it. (Btw, your Lo Imprescindible link in Lincoln Park Studs just pops me to the top of the page).

Jimmy said...

There was a 'No tell Motel' in Asheville NC when I was in college I used a lot with my first relationship.