Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 02, 2022

Wonderland Burlesque's Down The Rabbit Hole: My Weekends With High Society

Wonderland Burlesque's 
Down The Rabbit Hole
My Weekends With High Society

Turns out, if you keep wishing for something? You just might get it.

I had a vague recollection of this 1995 series. It struck me as well-written, quick and witty - in other words, something very foreign to American television. I was living in L.A. at the time, running with a crowd where television was verboten, so I was never afforded an opportunity to watch it. Yet, it stayed with me and I always hoped to see the show in its entirety. 

Well, imagine my surprise and delight to recently learn that someone has uploaded all 13 episodes on YouTube. And so, these past few weekends, I've had a chance to see what I was missing. 

Charmed, doesn't even begin to cover it.

High Society was a CBS sitcom starring Jean Smart (Designing Women) and Mary McDonnell (Major Crimes, The Closer) which aired Monday nights from 10/30/95 to 2/26/96. 

The ladies play a pair of lifelong best friends; a high profile romance novelist and her upper crust publisher. Campy, it's been likened to Absolutely Fabulous, though the the dialogue resembles a Noel Coward play performed at lightening pace. No sacred ground remains unscorched, no controversy unscathed. It's risque in the best way with a wily cast theatrically adept. 

It's all topped off with Chaka Khan singing the show's theme song, The Lady Is A Tramp.

Initially, Broadway's Faith Prince was part of the pack, portraying an old college friend who'd fallen on hard times. Her presence brought about a sort of Auntie Mame vibe, with Prince playing the role of 'Gooch', Smart as 'Vera', and McDonnell as 'Mame'. Sadly, that lasts only the first six episodes and Prince's character disappears from the series with nary an explanation. 

Despite the show, despised in conservative corners, doing quite well in the ratings, it never returned for a second season. That was the choice of the series' creators. CBS kept asking the producers and writers to soften the dialogue to make the lead characters more likable and 'warmer.' The creators, knowing that doing so would be the undoing of the show, refused. Instead, they chose to put the show on a hiatus from which it never returned.

Smart is over the top as Ellie, a jet set, pill-swallowing, booze guzzling, celebrity wannabe, while McDonnell holds court as Dott, with her couched, aristocratic, blue-blood purr of a voice. The pair play well off one another, obviously relishing their roles, the razor-sharp dialogue and the fabulous costumes.

The cast also includes Jane Meadows, who does a lovely turn as McDonnell's gentile, world-savvy mother. She is the only cast member to receive an Emmy nomination for their work on the series.

Guest stars include: Donna Mills, Stephanie Beacham, Erik Estrada, Barry Bostwick, Bronson Pinchot, Doris Roberts, Paul Dooley, and Tom Arnold.

Needless to say, I recommend seeking this one out. The quality of the recordings are a bit soft-edged, but bravo to whoever had the good sense to record all 13 episodes and then share them with the world via YouTube. 

Watching it has been a dream come true. It's fun. It's campy. And... it's oh-so gay!

High Society
(Just a taste.)


3 comments:

Bob said...

I vaguely remember this but I do adore Jean Smart!

Mistress Maddie said...

I remembered that show well and loved it, and couldn't believe it didn't come back for more seasons. While I did recall it being hailed as a American version of Ab Fab it didn't come close to me...but it made it it's own. And Mary McDonnell's character for me...was a set up basis for a future Karen Walker...just teak the voice high pitched. I enjoyed the show immensely.

And I was a huge fan of Janye Meadows

SickoRicko said...

I love both those women! It looked vaguely familiar.