Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Bernadette Peters

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Bernadette Peters

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to what can only be described as...The True Divas. These are ones who may do many things in life, but from the moment they opened their mouths to sing they became the one thing they were meant to become: a true diva.

One such soul?

A Gibson Girl born out of time. A Kewpie Doll come to life.

The exquisite, fearless Bernadette Peters.

To say she cut her teeth on Broadway? Not too far of a jump. She was touring with her mother and sister in a production of Gypsy when she was just a wee thing, understudying the part of Dainty June.

Of course, we all know she went on to conquer 42nd Street. 

Along the way, she sang some songs and made a few films... a few television shows... won a couple of awards...

But her heart belongs to Broadway. And homeless animals. And the gay community.

Yes, this diva is multi-talented and as unique as any snowflake, any diamond. And when it comes to  causes close to her heart? 

She's fierce. The lady walks the walk.

She's long been an advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS. Her advocacy for the cause, includes decades of service as a trustee on the board of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, along with performing numerous benefit concerts for New York’s GMHC. 

And in 1999, with the late Mary Tyler Moore at her side, she launched Broadway Barks  an annual event that benefits New York animal shelters and adoption agencies.  

Big talent. Big passion. Big heart.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? The Gay Community

"I’ve always said they have great taste! (laughs) You know what it is, when a person is born and sensitive and when a gay person is born, they start to notice that they’re different after a while. They become very in tune to things that have meaning and importance. I’ve learned that I’m a sensitive person too, and I may gravitate towards songs or lyrics that might relate to those types of people."

"When I was on the road with Gypsy. I was thirteen and I just understood that some of the dancers were gay. I mean, they didn’t come up to me at thirteen years old and say, 'Well, I’m gay.' It was just part of my ambience. I wasn’t living in a society or a world or a place where people were afraid to come out. I was in a world where people were who they were."

"Talking about coming out: A dear, dear friend of mine had to come let me know that he had HIV. He wanted to let me know because we were so close. I said, “Well, let’s just deal with it.” And that’s what I did."

"When there's a terrible illness like AIDS sweeping through, you help people."

"When something isn't done, you want to do something about it."

"It was one of the most exciting, perfect evenings of my life, my solo debut at Carnegie Hall. And knowing we were all there to raise money for Gay Men's Health Crisis made the evening an extraordinary experience."

"I lost a very dear friend who lived with AIDS for about 17 years. Rejecting early treatments that were iffy, he thought he saved himself. I really miss him a lot."

"I feel strongly for gay marriage to be accepted."

"I think it’s healthy to commit to somebody and say, 'This is my life, and this is who I love, and we have a life together.' And it’s so important for young people who feel that they’re gay to realize they can have a lovely, loving family. And not to feel like something is wrong with them, to feel like they don’t have to hide anything. And I think even parents are coming around too, more and more. Not everybody, but more and more. That’s all good."

"I was for same-sex marriage right from the beginning. It took me a while to grasp 'my husband/my wife,' but those are just words, you know? It just makes me so happy to hear. I was talking to some fellow in the airport and he was just chatting. I saw a wedding band on him, and he said, 'my husband.' It just sounded so wonderful to hear him say that. It’s great. It’s just great."

Self-Improvement - Bernadette Peters

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Bernadette Peters

Falling In Love With Love - Bernadette Peters

And one last parting shot...

"Animals speak with pure affection. It's important to me to get something going in New York so we can get to be a no-kill city, and give the animals homes and more attention and love."

"My heart goes out to these animals in shelters, and the euthanasia that’s so unnecessary; they really do communicate with us if you give them half a chance. We’ve learned that dogs have a 500-word vocabulary. They understand a lot."

"A lot of people are now getting rescue dogs - dogs from shelters - where, at first, they thought there was something wrong with them. But there’s nothing wrong with them, it’s just that people get allergic, people lose their homes, people move, whatever. But there are very adoptable, beautiful animals in the shelter. And by the way, Washington D.C. has a great Humane Society. They do great work with shelter animals."

"I want to take it further and raise even more money... It’s a rescue group that works so hard. They are my heroes - who pull the dogs out of the city shelters and get them help. Get them adopted. And I really want to get New York to be a no-kill state. It’s great, because now they do Beltway Barks in Washington, and other people across the country, other actors, they’ve asked to do it also. Many more people are becoming more aware of rescues, and it’s absolutely wonderful. It thrills me that it’s becoming much more mainstream."







2 comments:

Bob said...

I swear she has been around forever and is still as amazing and loving and giving as always.

And I'm with her. I love to hear a man say 'my husband,' or woman, 'my wife.'

SickoRicko said...

I love Bernadette! She's so glam.