Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 03, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Elle King

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Elle King

In my own personal big gay church there are many wings. In one such wing reside those who have forged careers by marching to a beat only they can hear. They are unique - unlike any other, defying industry standards and norms. And it is that distinction which serves them well, both musically and stylistically as they forge their lengthy career. Yes, they create it. They own it.

One such soul?

Elle King

She burst onto the scene after years of toiling away, playing tiny bars to empty seats.

Having always had talent and the spirit to bring it to life, it was just a matter of time before she appeared on the world's musical horizon.

Retro? Maybe. Alternative? Definitely. She's got a voice that comes from deep within and, yeah... she can be a bit of a hellraiser!  

But it's the music that matters most to this American Sweetheart. She writes... and continues to grow as both a human being and an artist. Along the way this diva shares joy and insights unlike any other, doing it all in a style honed from working hard... and playing hard.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from their lips.

The topic? Covid-19 Isolation

"A crazy thing happened to our planet. Whether you look at it as an individual or as part of the global community, the same thing happened to all of us. I took this as an opportunity - I want to choose my words carefully - even in my own life, everything fucked-up thing has happened for a reason. For the past 15 years, I never spent so much consecutive time at home, in one place. I mean, I love my dogs and have had them for 10 years, but, I’ve never spent this much time with them. I’m used to long-distance relationships, but this time, my boyfriend came into quarantine with me. When I went to see my dad on Father’s Day, even he recognized that this was the most time I spent with one person - and I was once married!"

"I’m getting along with my family. Things are great between my father and I. I’m happily in love. I’m moving; hauling ass and getting the fuck out of Los Angeles for Santa Fe. I’m in forward motion. I had a birthday a week ago. And it was a sober birthday; getting high on my own life. I’m doing a sober summer, and looking at everything I put into my body, whether it’s food or sugar. I’m trying everything I can, because, what I was doing wasn’t working."

"If I’m being transparent, I was frightened by isolation. I thought it was taking its toll on me. But I had to be my own superhero, and ask: 'How do I want to be when I come out of this? What are we going to shed, better ourselves, further myself as a musician, lover, daughter, aunt?' So, I just wrote. I took guitar lessons. I pushed myself. I want to change. I crave change. 

"...why not sing about releasing all things that are poisonous? That are put on me throughout my life, from society, growing up? So many times, I thought that I had to put things in my body to open my mind and stretch my antennae further. I didn’t realize that all that was doing was putting a fucking sheath over it. I’m proud... I’m releasing things that have kept me stuck."

"I’m honest, always was, and proud of it. Besides, anyone has the capacity for change. 'Sorry' only means something if you truly make a change. If I think about partying really really hard, I didn’t realize I was hurting. I respect people more when they’re open and honest. I had a duty and a platform to share and be open. The more you talk about things, the less you carry with you. Now, should I have not shared every fucking detail? 100%. However, that’s who I am. How beautiful is it be honest. That I went through shit, pulled myself out, and that you can, too. Everyone’s stages of how they get out look different. My chapter of getting fucked-up was a pretty long one."  

"How do you live up to this personae of being a wild party girl? I’m still that girl. My definition of partying has changed. I didn’t need to put 30 things in my body to stay up. I’m still a total insomniac. 

"The only thing that’s changed is that I have a baby grand piano in my living room."

Ex's and Oh's - Elle King

Shame - Elle King

Drunk (And I Don't Wanna Go Home) - Elle King 
& Miranda Lambert

And one last parting shot...

"The beauty of love is being vulnerable and putting yourself out there. Love doesn’t always go as planned, but everything’s a lesson. Looking back on so many of my relationships, I’m, like, 'Thank God, I’m not with that person,' and 'Thank you, asshole, for teaching me about what I didn’t want.' ... I had time to work on myself and be alone before this, build on the idea of self-love. RuPaul says it best, 'if you can’t love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?'"

"I’m in my 30's now. I had to work on self-reflection so that I could bring a whole person - happy, healthy, respectful - to relationships. You should always take any opportunity to look at yourself and see why people are in your life: are they bringing out the best qualities in you? I’m finally in that. I’m OK to be alone, and didn’t have to go on social media to meet someone to fill that hole. We have to fill our own hole. That speaks to the progress I have made as a human being."

No comments: