Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Who Did It Better? Ashes By Now

Who Did It Better? 
Ashes By Now

For today's Who Did It Better? we have a significant change of pace. Not only is this little chestnut fairly unknown, but it's also... now don't turn away... country. But it's the best kind of country. Sophisticated. With a touch of rock 'n roll to it. This puppy burns like the fuse on a stick of dynamite. Does it explode? Well... you be the judge.

Ashes by Now was written by Rodney Crowell. 

It was first recorded in January of 1978 in Los Angeles, CA. The session featured musician Ricky Skaggs playing the fiddle. 

It first appeared as the B-side to his 1978 single Elvira. The song was later re-released in April of 1980 as an A-side single on Warner Bros. Records, hitting #78 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles and breaking into the Hot 100 at #37.  It was included on Crowell's 1980 studio album But What Will The Neighbors Think.

In 1981, the song was covered by a frequent collaborator and tour mate, 12-time Grammy Award recipient Emmylou Harris on her Evangeline album which was mostly composed of leftover material from past recording sessions which had not fit onto any of her other albums. Ashes by Now served as the tenth and final track on the album which was released under Warner Records and the B-side to her Mister Sandman single, a leftover from the famed Trio sessions with Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton. The single reached #10 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart, and - coincidentally - #37 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Harris' only single to reach the Top 40.

Lee Ann Womack, hot on the heels her huge hit, 2000's I Hope You Dance, released her suped-up version on October 21, 2000, as the second single from her third studio album which shared the name of her worldwide smash. It peaked at number #4 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart #41 on Canada's Country Tracks chart and #45 on the Hot 100.

And that's the whole story!

Now, on to the competition.

The Song: Ashes By Now
The Competitors: Crowell vs. Harris vs. Womack

Ashes By Now - Rodney Crowell

Ashes By Now - Emmylou Harris

Ashes By Now - Lee Ann Womack

Rodney Crowell

Some bare bones, spare accompaniment there. Very earthy, with a kind of psychological insistency. His voice is pleasant, maybe a bit pedestrian. With a bit of plaintive whippoorwill thrown in for color. 

I do like how the guitar and bass work against each other; very atmospheric stuff. And they've certainly chosen to throw his vocals way on top of the mix. 

Interesting instrumental bridge... with that nice piano, rolling like thunder. Buying time?

Into the second verse... hmm. I wanted a chorus. With that spare opening and lack of chorus after the first  and second verse, I see why this didn't get more airplay. 

That third verse... demonstrates what a great song this is, I adore it. Great lyrics.

I wanted more of an explosion into the chorus - and I'm on the fence with that piano acting as counterpoint to the melody. I find the backing vocals rather sloppy. And all those percussive touches don't really do much for me. I was kind of hoping for a tighter delivery, here. He set it up with such a nice bit of tension in the opening salvo, not sure why he went all sloppy pop with the chorus. Was hoping he'd deliver on that intensity. 

The interplay between the piano, the rest of the band reminds me of Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. 

I like that fourth verse and segue into the chorus. Nice. Though I don't care for that counterpoint crap. It dates this terribly and sounds incredibly insincere. Love that chorus. This is one well-written song. I rather like it when the double his vocals. 

Fun ending. Bet that plays well in concert with the audience. 

Emmylou Harris

Same grassroots opening, but the guitars are scratched and plucked a lot hotter. And they waste no time getting to it. I have to say, that natural trill in Harris's voice is magic - as magic and haunting as a bottle neck guitar. Her spectral sound works well with the lyrics and that chugging accompaniment moving like a ghost train being held in check. 

Very nice mix. The production work is quite deft. The dynamics at play are fascinating. Her voice is such that it would be so easy to overwhelm her, but they wisely keep it all in check, allowing her to remain the sole focus. Still, that chunky guitar is scratching at the inside of my skull before suddenly opening up and flowering. 

Huh, she has that instrumental break, but its more finely tailored. Nice bass pick up going into verse three. Oh, and that train is getting mighty close...as it wells up into a near scream. 

Yeah. This is such a slow cooker. Adore those backing vocals. So tight they're as one. Huh, funny little guitar burp there. Still... the steady fire of this version has me excited. Oh, it's a harmonica! Neat. And when the backing vocals do step out a bit, I find it very effective. 

Great atmosphere. It's all hues and washes. And again, the pairing of the vocals, sweet. And the piano just works the air around it all. You could quibble with her leaning a bit too hard on her 'en' sounds' it comes off pointed and nasal - but that's country, right? I sure am enjoying all that guitar work. She uses the guitars the way Crowell used the piano - as counterpoints and fills. I think hers is the more effective way to go. 

By the 3;30 mark, they've got it all kicked in and cooking. And when she goes up a third on 'hurt me baby' - I am so sold. And that final... "I should be ashes by now..." Perfect.

Lee Ann Womack

Huh. That sure is different. Conga-like percussion. That needle like guitar stabbing in and out. And that tempo... jacked up. Her voice is very bird-like. And I think I could grow to like this... but when that second verse starts, where's the bottom? I do like all the tension. This is wound so tightly right from the get-go. And... she introduces the chorus where, quite frankly, I think it belongs. So, I have to hand that to her. The guitars are competing with her vocals quite a bit on that chorus. 

Seems a little noisy. 

And bratty. I get it... this is not 1978 or 1979 - this is country 2000. Organic, this is not and I rather miss the subtler approach of those former years. On the third verse, her voice is fully engaged and I must say, I like it. That is a lovely sound; full, melodic, with a wonderful lilt to it. And she does so in pop attack mode. That's a good singer.

Sadly, there's no anger or fire on that chorus. It's not distinguished enough from the verses and I rather enjoyed that contrast on the other two versions. This is just full-speed ahead, business as usual. And I really want more bottom. I can't feel this. Wow, by the time that fiddle joins in those vocals are hot as hell. Nice backing vocals on "as much as you hurt me, baby". Unfortunately, they're sort of drowning in a sea of sound.

I like both the breakdowns... fun. The mix is rather messy and not in a good way. Everything is bumping into and competing, no where more so than on that instrumental break. I want some separation in there. It simply feels busy and loud, but to no effect. And every time you think they're going to right things, as in those breakdowns or that fascinating new wave guitar part that bubbles up in the drop out.... but then they just return to business as usual. Not effective. 

The Verdict

Crowell's version brings to mind Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. Not his vocals, but the arrangement, accompaniment. As much as I like the piano, it's the other filler that kills his version for me. I didn't get a sense of him delivering what he promised at the beginning and what he works his way into doesn't sound very sincere. 

Harris's brings to mind The Eagles in Witchy Woman or One Of These Nights mode. She remains true to the atmospherics and the song - getting it to percolate ever so slowly. A great, restrained performance all-around. Bewitching. 

As for Womack, I think she is undone by the arrangement and unsympathetic producers. Had they worked with that slight new wave element they had going and created a more focused environment, I think this could have been a killer cut. As is, it's noisy and a tad colorless. 

So, for me... it's Emmylou Harris. By a Kentucky mile. 

--- ---

And that's enough of me.

Okay, your turn. Leave your choice and thoughts in the comments section. You know how I love a differing opinion.

Until next time...

Thanks for reading... and listening!

Ashes By Now - Lee Ann Womack

2 comments:

whkattk said...

I surprised myself...I was never a fan. Emmylou Harris gets my vote.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I thought Harris took it, too.
She sounds like I think Country music should sound.

XOXO