Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Sam Smith

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Sam Smith

In my big gay church there is a wing dedicated to The Divas Who Represent. They're not all flashy or cocks of the walk - in fact, some never officially came out of the closet during their lifetime - but they are all extraordinarily gifted, sharing their songs, music, and insights, allowing the world at large to learn, in the most subtle of ways, what it's like 'being green'. Thanks to their gifts and their bravery, they help make the world a little more gay every time their voices are heard. And that's been their true super power all along... their voice; they were heard. They mattered. And, whether they liked it or not, they represented!

One such silky siren?

Sam Smith.

With a voice unlike any other... with a quiver, and a coo, and a soar.

From note one, he's got you.

He came big on the scene... the vocals for Latch and Naughty Boy. 

One listen and you just knew... this was it. This is whom we've been waiting for.

He poured his heart out. And the world listened.

He conformed and starved and strived... to... fit... in.

And then? One day...

He got real.

He found himself. He accepted his body. And artistically, he moved on.

'Where next, Sam?' - we ask with bated breath.

Oh, don't worry, darling... we are so going with you.

The gospel according to him?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from his lips.

The Topic: Stay With Me


"Stay With Me, for me, is my own personal anthem to the 'walk of shame...' that we've all gone through. It's the feeling after a one-night stand of not wanting that person to leave, even if you don't love them and don't even like them. It's about having that body next to you."


"I'm not a really religious person, but those moments onstage feel like some sort of religious experience because no one holds back, especially Stay With Me when I finish the show. It kind of turns into an anthem when I perform it live, and it feels like there's a lot of love in the room.


Hearing a whole entire room sing back to me, 'I guess it's true I'm not good at a one-night stand,' you know, I just can't explain the feeling. It's unreal. You feel like you've just read your diary to thousands of people and they've gone, 'It's okay. We still love you.'

Stay With Me - Sam Smith

Dancing With A Stranger - Sam Smith / Normani

Unholy - Sam Smith / Kim Petras

And one last parting shot...

"I'm a gay man who came out when I was ten years old, and there's nothing in my life that I'm prouder of."

"People say, 'He doesn't want to be a spokesperson for the gay community.' I do, of course I do, but I want to be a spokesperson for everyone. Ya know, straight people, gay people, bisexual. I don't want it to be limited."

"I've made my music so that it could be about anything and everybody - whether it's a guy, a female or a goat - and everybody can relate to that."

1 comment:

Mistress Maddie said...

I'm a bad gay. I should be a fan, but I am so NOT a fan of his voice.