Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Sarah Silverman

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Sarah Silverman

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to the Ladies Of Comedy. Theses are the gals who made us laugh and, on occasion, brought a tear to our eyes. They are visionaries, capturing aspects of the human condition while holding up a mirror to the world. Their characters, style, and phrases have helped form our daily vernacular in ways we are not even always aware of - but that is the power of comedy and the magic these ladies all possess. Breaking ground while breaking all the rules?

That would be... Sarah Silverman.

In a nutshell.

Oy, the mouth on this one!

Sarah has never met a twisted bit of logic she couldn't twist a little more. Oh, yeah, she twists it hard - like a comedic dominatrix.

Clever, sardonic, cutting. This diva will set an audience up to walk on landmines. And  then, when the explosion occurs, she will smile and tell you why you had it coming while using her prettiest voice.

She's a good kid. It's hard to hold anything against her... because 99% of the time, she's right.

But, oh, that one percent! 

Silverman courts controversy like it was her favorite dance partner and every night is Senior Prom. 

Thing is - like her - her stuff is smart. How could it not be? 

As the world continues to spin off its axis...

Thank the stars, we have Sarah Silverman to keep us centered!

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Shocking And Offending


"I don't set out to offend or shock, but I also don't do anything to avoid it"

"Some people say my humor focuses too much on stereotypes. It doesn't. It focuses on facts."

"It shows the truth - that the real meaning of a word is only as powerful or harmless as the emotion behind it."

"I think I've been called edgy - but in all honesty, there is a safety in what I do because I'm always the idiot. Unless you're just listening to buzz words and not taking into account the context of the situation, you see I'm always the ignoramus."


"I really think everything is fair game."

"I have a ton of Holocaust stuff, and some of it is really hard core."

"Well, I'm not afraid to say something if I think it's funny, even if it's harsh or racist."

"Relations between black and white would be greatly improved if we were more accepting of our fears and our feelings and more vocal about it."

"Traditionally, I have no right to talk about race. I'm white; I didn't grow up in an all-black neighborhood. But the license I see for myself is I'm a member of the world."

"Jews, black people - any people who are hated or who have suffered, either as individuals or as a people - use humor. It is a survival skill."

"But I think you can make fun of anything as long as it's funny enough."


"I never defend my material. Comedy is subjective."

"That's not to say that I don't find anything offensive."

"I never want to be in a position where I have to defend my material. It's too subjective. It's for other people to defend or not defend."

"You know, I think whatever a comic talks about onstage is all they talk about offstage."

"I tend to be more arrogant on stage. Far more ignorant. I sometimes say what I think and sometimes say the opposite of what I think and the lines get blurred, but I can only hope that some kind of absolute power transcends."

"I like my messiness on stage, though I watch comics who come at a joke from every angle and I think, 'Yeah! That's how it's done!' But for me it's the audience. If I feel connected to them, I have so much fun, and if not, it stinks."

"If you are truly offended by an 80-year-old man saying you're not funny, then you're probably not funny."

Sarah Silverman's Sister Hates This Joke - Sarah Silverman

Jesus Is Magic - Sarah Silverman

Lesbian Niece - Sarah Silverman

And one last parting shot...

"I had a lot of depression as a kid."

"As a kid, I was terrified. I was a bed wetter, and I had to go to sleepaway camp every summer, which was humiliating and terrifying. I had lots of insecurities and scaredness."

"I have very vivid dreams - almost always action-adventure. I'm often on the run. I've always had dreams. When I was little, I'd go to sleep with my head on my hands, which were in fists like I was looking through a camera. I felt like sleep was the movies - just drifting off to the movies."


Mr. Rogers And Masturbation - Sarah Silverman

1 comment:

SickoRicko said...

I like her.