Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 02, 2023

Sunday Diva / Three From The Hip: Lucille Ball

Sunday Diva / Three From The Hip:
Lucille Ball

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to the Ladies Of Comedy. Theses are the gals who made us laugh and, on occasion, brought a tear to our eyes. They are visionaries, capturing aspects of the human condition while holding up a mirror to the world. Their characters, style, and phrases have helped form our daily vernacular in ways we are not even always aware of - but that is the power of comedy and the magic these ladies all possess. Breaking ground while breaking all the rules?

One such zenith...

Lucille Ball.

Cut from a mold no one imagined, this true beauty's wisecracking slapstick has kept the world in stitches for centuries.

Which is amazing, because to hear her tell it - she had no talent.

Yet she created the magical whacky world of Lucy, entertaining generation after generation.

With her husband Desi, they forged what would become known as the sitcom.

From that moment on, just as television was transformed forever, nothing in their lives remained the same.

And all it cost them was each other.

Still, singularly this diva broke ceilings and records, dazzling us with her antics even today.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The Topic: I Love Lucy


"I wanted to get out of the pictures and stay home so that I could have children."

"TV started for me just as a means of keeping my husband Desi off the road. He'd been on tour with his band since he got out of the Army, and we were in our 11th year of marriage and wanted to have children."

"I'm sometimes scared of everything that has happened to us. We didn't think Desilu Productions would grow so big. We merely wanted to be together and have two children."

"How to do half-hour comedy innovatively is something I do pride myself on. We invented it with I Love Lucy."

"How I Love Lucy was born? We decided that instead of divorce lawyers profiting from our mistakes, we'd profit from them."

"I hate failure and that divorce was a number one failure in my eyes. It was the worst period of my life. Neither Desi nor I have been the same since, physically or mentally."

"I will never do another TV series. It couldn't top I Love Lucy, and I'd be foolish to try. In this business, you have to know when to get off."

"I don't think you should write a book until you tell the absolute truth. You can't do that until you're 85, and I don't want to live that long. I've always prided myself on knowing when to get off, and I hope it works out that way."

Bring On The Beautiful Girls 
from the musical Ziegfield Follies

The Chocolate Factory - Lucy & Ethel

Bosom Buddies - Lucille Ball & Bea Arthur
from the musical Mame

And one last parting shot...

"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead."

"I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I've got to keep it this way."

"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."

"A man who correctly guesses a woman's age may be smart, but he's not very bright."

3 comments:

SickoRicko said...

I Love Lucy!

JiEL said...

I've always liked her and her show and humor.
As a matter of fact I have the full shows on DVDs and even the movie she did with her husband.

whkattk said...

Always loved her. She did 3 sitcoms - but all were based on the character she created in I Love Lucy. She did Carson(?) after she remarried and bemoaned Desi as "a loser."
Desi Jr lives in Boulder City and is just a bit nutty.