Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Wonderland Burlesque's Hot Beverage Quiz

Wonderland Burlesque's Hot Beverage Quiz

One could argue that this is little more than excuse so I can post pictures of hot men drinking coffee, or that it smacks of marketing research and desperation. But in my recent vow to keep October a happy month, I am trying to concentrate on things that make me happy. And right now? My first cup of coffee in the morning makes me extremely happy. It has me bounding out of bed, no matter the sweet dream that I am lost in, to get my personal percolator perking.

So pour yourself a hot one, and let's dig into today's quiz questions, shall we?

1/ Do you drink coffee? How do you like it?

I love it. My history with it has been hit and miss. I was addicted to it during my theatre days - I ran on cigarettes and coffee... period. I was a walking skeleton with an enlarged prostate and clothes that reeked. Eek. No wonder I was celibate (for the most part). I went through a period when I did not drink it at all... about the same time I quit smoking. Then, with my current job, I just fell into the habit again. One cup in the morning became two. And I started having coffee with my Mom at 4:00 each day, so another cup there. 

Now, I sneak a fourth cup, frequently... usually when I am feeling the afternoon drowsies at 2;00 pm.  I should cut down again... but, with things they way they are? This is one of my sure pleasures, so I'm reticent to give it up. 

I never add anything to my coffee. I don't do much dairy and sweeteners and sugar - blech. No, thank you!

2/ What time do you typically have your first cup? What is your cut-off point?

I brew myself a tiny pot at 5:00 am. Used to be 3:30 am, when I had to commute, but now that I'm working from home... So, first cup is done by 5:30, and I drink what is left in the pot (less than a cup) immediately after that. 

I've just started sneaking a third cup at 2:00 pm. Not a good idea. Me on caffeine? I don't wish that on anyone, including myself. Too unpredictable. 

Then I have a cup at my Mom's house at 4:00 pm while we watch Judge Judy and chat. She has been isolating since March 9th, as well. Not even church! So my visits are rather mandatory. Monday thru Thursday. 

On the weekends - I have my coffee in the morning - two cups and am done. Lately, I have started to make a tiny pot at 4:00 pm - but that is too late and it upsets my sleep schedule, so I am going to knock that off. 

3/ Do you like flavored coffee? If so, what flavors?

I used to think they were a terrible idea and made fun of them. I had a friend who bought things like Chocolate Cherry Creme. Back then, I was a hardcore basics person. Plain black coffee, please. 

Since Covid? I have been treating myself. Hazelnut, Vanilla Bean are typical. But I recently bought a bag of Pumpkin Spice (it was available for a limited time only - what could I do?). And this weekend I bought Autumn Maple (again, limited time - who am I to miss out?). 

So, I am over being a coffee snob. 

I bought maple-flavored coffee. Who am I to judge?

4/ Instant coffee? 

Coffee snob says 'no'. But camping trips and Covid have said, 'yes'.

I bought a jar of Folgers instant for a camping trip. Just heating the water was enough of a challenge for me. I didn't use that much of it... since we would steal away into town and I would take advantage and get myself some real stuff. 

This jar of Folgers stayed in my camping gear for quite awhile. Until Covid and the lockdown. I was cleaning  and found the jar and thought... why not. 

Hence the source for that third cup in the morning. That jar is ancient history. And I went without for a bit, but last week went and bought myself some cheap ass stuff. 

It is hot brown water and makes me happy.

And I take my happy where I can find it these days.

5/ Do you like hot chocolate? Marshmallows, yes or no? Do you drink instant (Swiss Miss)?

I did not. But then.. tah-dah. Covid. 

And afternoons are looooooong, when working from home. 

So, sure a little sugar. A little dairy. 

Not a good idea. Me and sugar. No. I become very animated, like a manic phase. I jabber. I become very chatty. Not me at all. 

But it is hot and sweet and every other week, I just want some. Because - why not? If it makes you happy, right, Sheryl Crow?

I had some Swiss Miss I stole from the office. I kept it on hand in case of the zombie apocalypse to entertain the children (?). I dunno. 

Turns out I am a child and this is a different kind of apocalypse... so, sue me.

6/ Do you drink tea? Herbal or caffeinated? What kinds?

Love them. Herbal, please. Although I like green tea, too... nice flavor. It is the only caffeinated tea I drink. 

I love lemon tea... and, in fact, I Love Lemon is a brand I used to buy. Now? It's whatever I can find. I bought some Vanilla Chai the other day. We'll see. I don't feel guilty about herbal teas because the ingredients are found in nature. What's not to love?

Favorites: Lemon, Apple Spice, Orange Spice, Mint, Peppermint, Chamomile and Cranberry Apple. 

Chamomile before bedtime? Rocks.

7/ Do you like iced coffee? Frappuccino's? 

No. Period. Like my coffee hot. Really hot.

And I dislike all those syrupy frozen concoctions.  Too much dairy. Too sweet. Tried them... not for me. It's like dessert. Who drinks dessert whenever the mood strikes you? Ick.

I know, right? Such a snob.

But then again... in times of Covid?  My track record is not good.

Naw. 

You have to rely on someone else to make those. And I am not going to do that.

8/ Back in the day, did you go to a barista on a daily basis? What did you order?

I have huge issues with paying $7.50 (includes tip) for a damn cup of coffee. Granted, when I do go, or had to go - because it was a meeting - I would order something. And while I like the social nature of coffee houses, I do not dig their price points (but how else are they to make ends meet?).  I get coffee and a bagel. 

Or, if I am not hungry or nothing they have looks good, I will splurge and get a small latte with whole milk (because if I am gonna cramp, why not make it really hurt). Sometimes half a shot of caramel. I always specify half a shot, because they put so much in it... who needs their coffee to be that sweet. Ick.

When I travel? I splurge. Especially at airports, where comfort is in short supply unless you pay for it. 

And I do like to support small coffee houses, not chains. Small coffee houses are the best.

9/ Do you/did you have a favorite coffee shop? Describe it and tell me why you liked it.

I did. 

It was run by a group of Native Americans. It was so nice. And they were so friendly. They had a tiny stage and I always thought that would be where I would try and play some time. They had a good business and the place was spacious, clean and comfortable and the food they offered, healthy and delicious. 

Then there was a fire in the building and everybody had to close shop while they fixed it. And the landlord demanded they continue paying rent, even though the building was not open. So, they went under fast. It was a shame. 

I have never found another coffee shop I like as much. 

Something opened in the same space, but it is all kinds of wrong. Very unwelcoming and uncomfortable and not clean.

And now... meh. Stupid Covid. I would love to hang out at a coffee shop... but it's take out only.

There is a cute coffee shop near my boyfriend's house. Across the alley. But it's run by these hardcore Xtians and I am NOT giving them any money. Don't smile at me with those white teeth and tell me that my 'lifestyle' is wrong. Fuck 'em. 

Oh, good news... these two lovely bears bought a tiny bakery shop two blocks from the boyfriend's house. Just the bakery is open right now, but eventually they will offer coffee and a place to sit. They are hella expensive, but... that I will support. The baker is an award winning chef and used to cook at a couple of hotspots here in Minneapolis. They are nice guys and remember our names when we go in... so I will happily buy stuff there. 

It's good for the community. 

Plus, they have this thing called a Kodiak Bar - a rice crispy square with a homemade peanut butter filling, half dipped in rich dark chocolate - for five bucks. And even though I am slightly allergic to peanuts? 

I still gotta have it. 

10/ This time of year, do you drink hot apple cider? Hot mulled wine?

No. And no.

Hot apple cider is deceptive. You think.. hey, apple juice. What's the harm? But it is just liquid sugar. 

And hot mulled wine?

What is this? A renaissance festival? Get outta here!

--- ---

Well, that's it for this week's quiz. Pretty light stuff, but that is my goal for October - keep it light and fun. Hope you've enjoyed this week's questions. 

Leave your answers in the comments section, or post them on your blog and leave a link.

Until next time... 

Thanks for reading.

Now... grab yourself a hot one!

Natalie Cole - Coffee Time



















































Coffee - Miguel


5 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh Hello, Miguel.
As for coffee, I’m going to have to say that I don’t drink it? I know, heresy. But I don’t really like coffee. Both my mom and my grandma started the day with a cup of hot, black coffee. No sugar. No milk. There was this old coffee maker pot in my house that I think my sister inherited that was hyperactive every morning.
But I don’t drink it. I love the smell of coffee but I don’t like the taste that much. Too bitter.
And I didn’t know that about apple cider! What?
As for men and coffee, I’m partial to the gentleman in the black sweater and the gentleman in the red shorts. I’ll take those two. No sugar.

XoXo

anne marie in philly said...

1 - coffee, cream & sugar
2 - one cuppa in the morning to wake up
3 - hell no
4 - FUCK NO
5 - yes to marshmallow hot cocoa; swiss miss is fine
6 - herbal tea; licorice, raspberry zinger, orange and spice, lemon lift
7 - neither
8 - spouse makes coffee at home
9 - no coffee shop
10 - neither

Mistress Maddie said...

Do you drink coffee? How do you like it? I drink Ethiopian Yirgacheffe everyday with a touch of sweet creme in it baby.

What time do you typically have your first cup? What is your cut-off point? Around 9ish and done my 1230. On weekends a pot might last me all day!!!!

Do you like flavored coffee? If so, what flavors? I like my daily coffee most but I do on occasion switch it up with French vanilla or Hazelnut. I love Hazelnut.

Instant coffee? HELL NO! Even glamping I take my coffee pot and canister of coffee!!! The grill has on of those burners on it. Unless hiking and pitching a tent over night, then maybe I might.

Do you like hot chocolate? Marshmallows, yes or no? Do you drink instant i use a brand called Marie Belle. OMG! They have one called Aztec hot chocolate....so good. Yes marshmallows!!!! If I have glamped really late in fall, then I have taken instant.

Do you drink tea? Herbal or caffeinated? What kinds? Yes, sometimes. I tend to like Prince of Wales or Darjeeling. I take it English style, spot of cream and sugar. These two teas together is what I also make my summer ice with.

Do you like iced coffee? YES but only in the summer.

Back in the day, did you go to a barista on a daily basis? Yes when working. At my first Bloomies location the little coffee shop was heaven and the boy there would slip me free coffees some days. Two years later we ran into each other out at a club once, and we ended up in a stall together and blew each other. I got many free ones after that.

Do you/did you have a favorite coffee shop? Not really. Although last time home mother and I went to a baby shop near her house. It's so adorable. My ex co worker had her baby during covid 19 and I wanted to get her a few things to send her. While the lady giftwrapped it we went to a small coffee shop, which I could see it becoming a regular haunt. And they only let two people in at a time to order, and sitting was all out doors.

This time of year, do you drink hot apple cider? Hot mulled wine? OHHHHH DARLING!!!!!! I am most famous for my hot apple cider and mulled wines. Not to mention the old family recipe of eggnog at christmas. NOTHING like hot apple cider with spices and a pinch of ginger liqueur and brandy!!!! When my friend come to visit in the autumn, they are always greeted with it. Not to mention it makes the house smell sooooooooo good and fall like.

That great to shop and support local and even better when it's gay owned!!! I don't care if I have to pay more or not...Two bear I met while walking Buster two years ago owned a placed called Bear Claw, but they didn't make it through the covid, the place shuttered. They now own a Owow Cow ice cream place in the old fire station building. It s very cool.

I like these and enjoy reading everybody's answers



whkattk said...

1. Absolutely. At home with creamer and sweetener or, as I like to put it: With Chemicals. Out: Black
2. first thing in the morning; 5:30 - 6:00. 2 or 3 cups, then another one at 4:30 or 5:00pm.
3. Not really. Once in a while a chocolate mocha.
4. Nope. Never. It always seems..."chalky."
5. Sometimes. Never packaged - always fresh whole milk and real chocolate.
6. All. Day. Long. Iced with lemon and sweetener.
7. Yep. Iced Mocha.
8. Nope. I always thought there were better ways to spend money.
9. No. If I feel the need - really anything but Starbucks.
10. rarely. But I like both.

SickoRicko said...

One mug (=about 2 cups) with milk, beginning around 06:00. I sip it for about two hours. I don't mind if it's room temperature.