Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Wonderland Burlesque's Bring It On Back Quiz

Wonderland Burlesque's
Bring It On Back Quiz

Today's quiz is all about those moments which occur when a thought flashes in your cranium, such as, 'Whatever happened to...", or 'Wouldn't it be nice if...'

It's all about bringing something back to life, to improve the quality of our lives.

So think about it. What do you think should make a comeback?

I've provided five topics, but feel free to get creative and volunteer anything that you'd like to see return to common use, something you've come to appreciate, or something you miss. 

It's all good. 

So? What's on your list?
 
1/ Fashion

Men's Shawls

Remember the Spanish shawls that Rudolph Valentino or Roman Norvarro used to sport on occasion?

They were sort of part of the matador get-up? 

Well, I want to bring something like that back. But maybe modernize the fabric and Stevie Nicks it up a bit. Less gypsy, more mysterious international traveler?

I have this fringed lap blanket. It's made of this fuzzy knit material. I fold it into a triangle, so the fringe is on two sides of the triangle and wrap it over my shoulders, sometimes throwing one end of the triangle over one of my shoulders. It's a burnt maroon and for some reason, the combination of the textures and color makes me feel dashing. 

I remember an aging Truman Capote doing something similar and, while he struck me as rather tragic, the cut of his shawl made for a dashing figure. His always had fringe and it looked awesome.

I want that. It's urban. Its vain. It crosses gender lines. It's... well, it's downright comfortable and versatile. 

If you're on a plane? You've got a blankie!

In the park? You've got a place to lay in the grass.

Cold? Drape it over the top of your head, like a hood. It really keeps you warm. 

I really like the look. Topped off with the right fedora? Or a porkpie hat? Provided you have the head shape and chin to carry it off? 

That's a striking look.

2/ Furniture

Make-Up Vanities

Remember those large, round mirrored make-up vanities that women had in the 1920's-1950's? 

They were so stylish. And romantic. The art deco-infused ones? Sleek perfection.

I think those should make a comeback.

I know we all don't live in McMansions, so it might be hard to give up that much space in the bedroom, but imagine one at the far end of a walk-in closet.

The little benches/stools varied quite a bit. But the vanity's overall design was quite consistent. I loved the little side drawers and the way the table in the center was lower than the sides. Whenever I see the in old movies, I simply melt.

They'd serve as a simple, rather inexpensive means of bringing class and a real sense of style into one's everyday routine.

3/ Transportation

Electric VW Bugs and VW Karmann Ghias

I love the overall design of both these vehicles. 

I was never so overjoyed when VW reintroduced their classic bug model and was very sad when it went away again. I had a 1974 bug in L.A. and adored that thing. I loved everything about it. It was fun to drive. And comfortable. It even smelled great. 

And I am amazed that the VW Karmann Ghia has never made a comeback. Talk about a sporty, but affordable car. It looks like much more expensive vehicles, while retaining a style all its own. Whenever I see one? I melt. They seem so romantic.

With the need to move from oil to electric, I think both these designs are the perfect, affordable way, to help expand that market share. People will want these vehicles. And it's more than nostalgia - it's because the design elements themselves are so very classic and classy.

I would also like VW to come out with a Herbie The Love Bug model. I think there's a definite market for that kind of nostalgia as well. Hell, maybe Disney could get into the auto industry? Would make for an interesting partnership (as much as I still dislike Disney.)

4/ Music or Movies

Murder Mysteries

When Knives Out came out, I was so excited. I adore a good murder mystery. 

Sadly, it came up a bit short. They had Jamie Lee Curtis on board and she was horribly underutilized. It was a great cast, but something was not right. Maybe if they'd filmed it in black in white?

But I miss a good old-fashioned murder mystery. No, I'm not the type that goes to those themed dinner things, though I do understand their appeal. I simply want to observe. I want to solve without having to actually be involved. 

Classic film noir, from the 1930's through 1950's frequently got it right. And even when the plot or acting seemed a bit ham-fisted, there was still that lovely cinematography to sustain the right mood. 

I'd love for that to become a new wave in cinema. It's simply begging for a bit of gender reversal or LGBTQ+ sensitivity to spice things up. 

Me? I'd be front row and center.

5/ Life

Summer

Oh, I know... it's way early to start bemoaning the dregs of winter while yearning for heat and sun. But then again, hey... it's me! You'll be listening to me whine, on and off, for the next six months.

This six months of damp, wet, freezing cold, dry air? No thank you. 

I know there are probably more practical things to wish for when it comes to life - like common sense, common courtesy, people taking responsibility, people being kind. Empathy. Civility. Perhaps an end to disease. World peace. An end to suffering. A healing of the planet.

However, the sense of decorum we gained during the Kennedy 'Camelot' years and the idealistic ideologies developed then? Decidedly absent.

There are all sorts of behaviors lacking in the United States; we are a damaged people. No... seriously. There is something seriously wrong with us. We're like a clogged toilet... yeah, I wouldn't try to flush it right now.

So, I tend to focus on things I can count on. Like the seasons of the year. 

Because - like everyone else? I like getting something I want, something I enjoy.

So, I'll focus on Summer. 

--- ---

And that's enough of me.

Okay, your turn. You know what to do. Leave your answers in the comments section. Get creative. Or, post them on your blog and leave a link here.

That's all for now.  Until next time...

Thanks for reading... and participating!

Sing It Back - Moloko




























Bring It Back - Lil Yachty

7 comments:

Xersex said...

so sexy guys

Mistress Maddie said...

A fun topic!!!!!

Fashion. The Mens corset! I did a post a few weeks ago on the men's corset designer Sammy Barbosa and he looks downright hot in them, and I love them!!! They look great with their boning and fantastic fabrics, and think how great they'd look layered with today's fashion.

You almost have me with makeup tables....but the fainting chaise or chaise lounge should be way more popular...still. I mean their are still GOP holding office!!!


Transporation. Hands down, easily, the vintage Citroen!!! Big heavy, well made, runs forever and speaks to chic and style design. I'd only wished my grandfather hadn't sold his and he still had it, I'd taken it in a minute. That thing once sat for years in his back garage, and it started right up before it sold. They had such style, rode nice, were roomy, and had a quiet ride for that time. Yes... the vintage Citroen.

Music or movies. Murder Mysteries? Have you seen the BBC! Our PBS airs so many of their newer Murder Mysteries it isn't funny. But I adore them too. I say bring back some black and white films...just for shit and giggles.

Life. I can't believe how improper and casual and disposable we have gotten. I wish that fine quantity and long lasting would return, that proper greeting and gentlemanly behavior would return, civil and friendly salutations, proper manners, and dressing up would return. Nothing wrong with ripped jeans from time to time or trendy clothing, but the society of sweat pant wearing, tee shirts, crocs, Uggs, and sneakers with everything? And active wear as fashion!!!! Makes me stabby. OVER IT! Would it kill anyone to dress up and clean up before stepping outside their door? Where are the guys looking sexy in jeans and nice brogue shoes, the women in high heels, that extra flair of fashion accessorizing? What happen to hats? Not to mention dressing appropriate for the weather. I see so many in cold weather wearing light coats or none at all, or in the rain without a proper umbrella. I tell you, it's an afront to the very delicacy of my nature.

course we had my way, we'd be back into the Edwardian era of dressing.

And burn all CROCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whkattk said...

1. In Fashion: I've never worried about it at all. Just dressed so I felt comfy.
2. Furniture: TV stands. Hate this screw-to-the-wall stuff.
3. Transportation: Classic body style of the 66 Camaro (convertible, of course).
4. Music or Movies: Vocals where you can understand the lyrics.
5. Life: No, I'm with you on this one!! Bring back Summer!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ohhh men in hats? Yes, please!
I wish hats and suits would make a comeback. You watch films from the 30's, 40's and 50's and all the men wore suits and hats. Love me a man in a suit.
Also, I'd be right there with you if VW Beetles would make a comeback!

XOXO

SickoRicko said...

Nice hats.

Jimmy said...

1. I miss wearing a kaftan around the house in winter. So comfortable.

2. A Butler's Table. I thought they were timeless.

3. I had a Karmann Ghia when I was in college. They use to call them, "The Poor Man's Porsche". I drove from Ft. Lauderdale to Asheville NC for $9.00! LOL

4. No Perry Mason moments here, please.

5. Winter in Florida for me is Paradise.

Xersex said...

#27 love his body, but what a pity so much ink on his skin