Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Ricky Martin

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Ricky Martin

In my big gay church there is a wing dedicated to The Divas Who Represent. They're not all flashy or cocks of the walk - in fact, some never officially came out of the closet during their lifetime - but they are all extraordinarily gifted, sharing their songs, music, and insights, allowing the world at large to learn, in the most subtle of ways, what it's like 'being green'. Thanks to their gifts and their bravery, they help make the world a little more gay every time their voices are heard. And that's been their true super power all along... their voice; they were heard. They mattered. And, whether they liked it or not, they represented!

One such proud gay man? 

Ricky Martin.

Since the age of twelve, he's been out there, strutting his stuff. Drafted as part of the ever evolving door that was Menudo, he caught our attention right off the bat.

From there it was just a matter of time before all that talent, all that energy and those dazzling good looks conquered the entire world.

It hasn't all been easy. Non-stop travelling, performing and recording takes its toll, specifically on a a personal basis. He had such little time to define himself, he allowed the media and his handlers to manage all that. That came at a price. For inside, was a gay man trying to find his way out into the sun.

Never has the gay community been more welcoming, as when this diva finally proclaimed who he was - an out and proud gay man.

A stable relationship and fatherhood quickly followed, and though the relationship may have altered, his commitment to his children never will.

Thankfully, to this day, he's still defining himself and redefining what it means to be an international entertainer.
 
The gospel according to him?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from his lips.

The topic? Coming out.


"Proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man."

"I had very steady and formal relationships with women. And I can say, I fell in love with women and it felt right."

"For many years I thought I was bisexual. And then I would ask myself, 'What is bisexual? Does that even exist?'"

"It was really intense for me to start having conversations with God, when according to the man-made laws in my religion - to be homosexual is evil."

"The homosexual community wants me to be gay. The heterosexual community wants me to be straight. Every writer thinks, I'm the journalist who's going to make him talk. I pray for them. I pray that they get a life and stop living mine!"

"If I had spent a quarter of the time that I spent manipulating my sexuality in front of a piano instead, I would be the most gifted piano player of my lifetime."
 

"Before I came out, I had a lot of anger. For years people would ask, 'How are you doing?' and I'd say, 'Good, fine.' It's show business, and that's what you have to show."

"I hated it when people tried to force me out when I wasn't ready. It was very painful, and it actually pushed me away from doing so."

"When someone isn't ready we must not try to force them out. People are being bullied and committing suicide because they're gay and it's horrible."

"When it comes to my sexuality, when it comes to who I am, I want to talk about what I'm made of, about everything that I am. Because if you hide it, it's a life-or-death situation."
 

"These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed."
 
"We all have to go through our own spiritual process. It is very difficult. Some people are struggling and they are in their teens. Some people are in their 50s and they're struggling. Some people go through life and die not being able to accept themselves. Tragic. But it's very individual. And it's about self-esteem."
 
"You just have to get rid of fear and confront the world. Look at yourself in the mirror and say to yourself, 'I love you and nothing will destroy you and you're not going to fall.'"
 
Maria - Ricky Martin

Livin' La Vida Loca  - Ricky Martin

CanciĆ³n Bonita - Ricky Martin / Carlos Vives

And one last parting shot...

"I always wanted to be a father. I have a beautiful relationship with my dad and beautiful memories. I always knew I was going to have a family."
 
"Every family is different. I am mom and I am dad and I'm going to do my best. You should be proud, walk through life saying I have the coolest family. I am part of a modern family."
 
"My priorities are: I need to be good; I need to be well within for my children to be well within; and then the creative process flows, organically and smoothly. I'm not looking to experience what I went through in the Livin' La Vida Loca days again."
 
"I just want my children to be happy. I want my children to be healthy."
 
"I want my children to be proud of their father and to say, 'My father is the best dad in the world.' And I want them to belong to a modern family, and live a path of happiness and calm."
 
"I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am."

3 comments:

SickoRicko said...

Great post!

Mistress Maddie said...

I have never been a fan of his music, but I like him...and he is so handsome, and I wouldn't be opposed to sucking his dick.

Xersex said...

very cute!