Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 03, 2024

Weekend Onesie: Billy Joel Turns The Lights Back On!

Weekend Onesie: 
Billy Joel Turns The Lights Back On!

This past Thursday, I was working out, listening to my usual radio station; a station which typically plays popular songs from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. A song came on, one I couldn't recall ever hearing, yet sounded familiar. I thought to myself, 'How on earth did this one escape me?'

I listened quite intently, going about my usual workout routine. It sounded like an Elton John song. Your Song, in particular. But then there was a section which reminded me of Cat Stevens, perhaps the piano lines in Morning Has Broken. The lyrics were incredibly like those of Bernie Taupin. And as I listened more, I recognized that the piano technique was very much like that of Billy Joel.

But the voice...

It was so young. So pristine. So bright. The phrasing was spot on Elton John and I thought about all the wannabe artists recently who seem to ape portions of that artist's legacy - Ben Platt immediately sprang to mind, but this was definitely not him, this song had a different personality - it had a genuine one.

I thought, those three artists (John, Stevens, and Joel) should all get together and sue the crap out of this young man, for this song either was a big hit or will be.

Turns out that, after a seventeen year recording absence, Billy Joel has indeed, turned the lights back on... and is open for business.

Turn The Lights Back On is one of those songs that grabs you. You will always remember where you were and what you were doing the first time you hear it. I do believe it's going to be a huge hit.

And no matter how I may have felt about the artist in the past - for I've loved some of his work, found some of it lifeless and wanting, and downright hated a few of his albums - I am, at this moment, very excited for him.

Wouldn't it be nice if it went to number one? The charts are absolutely overwhelmed with music which all sounds the same, all from bright young things. This song is very different. Complicated. Complex and grounded in actual musical theory having been written by an artist with a great deal to bring to the table, not written by committee, hobbled together by industry movers and shakers, produced within a hairs breath and approved by an anonymous group of financial backers. There's flesh and blood at work in this one.

That said - it's hardly organic. There's something about the vocals which seem not quite right; they lack the weight and depth of a legacy artist of Joel's tenure. Perhaps they've been 'airbrushed' in the studio, or maybe he's found the fountain of youth and turned back the hands of time. In any event, he sounds incredibly young, vital and laser focused - there's no wear on those tires.

Still, I'd like to make a prediction - in a world which seems, at the moment, pretty unpredictable. The Grammys are going to be all over this. This will be nominated for song of the year, and very likely win. The Grammys love legacy artists making a surprising comeback and Joel, who is a journeyman, fulfills that with experience and years in the business to spare. Everybody loves a comeback story, so he'll be getting loads of free press. I also won't be surprised if the album is nominated for album of the year.

Even if none of that comes to pass, what a great moment in musical history. I can't wait to learn all the details of how the album came together and who is producing and what label he's on. His entire career has been Columbia/Epic Records, but... the industry has changed so much, perhaps he's gone independent. Plus, it's quite a story. I'm certain Joel will fill us all in on all the trials and tribulations, the personal struggles and revelations - the world will be riveted.  A healthier diet? A new view of life? The secret of remaining young?

We certainly could all use the distraction.

I for one will be listening. It was a refreshing moment, as I lifted my way through yet another workout. A breath of fresh air. 

It's nice to have the Piano Man back where he belongs... with the lights on.

Turn The Lights Back On - Billy Joel 

No comments: