Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Tanya Tucker

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Tanya Tucker

In my own personal big gay church there is a special wing dedicated to The Working Girls. These are ladies whom have had long careers spanning decades with great chart success. They've hosted shows, appeared on variety shows, championed causes and had their ups and downs. But they kept working.

One such journeywoman? 

Tanya Tucker.

Ups and downs seems to be the course life handed her. 

Of course, much of it was her own doing, but...

When you become world famous at the age of 13, well, things are bound to get a little rocky from time to time.

She had the market cornered when it came to innocent young things singing about very adult going-ons. 

And once she and her management decided it was time to move into adulthood? This little lady kicked the door down with a pair of rhinestone cowboy boots!

The saga of Tanya and Glenn. My, oh, my, the tabloids had a field day. The shenanigans the two of them got up to are the thing of legends. 

And it was all good fun, until... the day it wasn't.

From then on, things got a little better, until they got a little worse, until they got a little better...

Through it all, she sang her heart out.

At the moment?

Thing are great now. 

She's taking her victory lap. One doesn't have a career with the length and and amount of success she's achieved and not deserve a few well-deserved standing ovations.

Thing is?

There'll never be another like her!

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? The Road To Wellness


"Everybody has problems."

"There’s no way to be able to tell what it’s like to be a country singer until you’re walking in the shoes."

"The more people told me that, you know, wow, you should be so blessed. Don’t you feel blessed? And you have all this—mansion and all these beautiful things. And I said, you know—the more they told me that, the more depressed I got."

"When I was younger, I thought about retiring."


"Well, you know, certain—for one reason, I think that the intervention process is a good process for most people, but for me, it just looked like a bunch of my friends trying to get back at me and sit around taking jabs at me, you know, when I couldn’t defend myself."

"I don’t think I was really addicted. I used it as a party tool."

"I have always been the life of the party. When I got to the point where I wasn't anymore, I knew something was wrong. I didn't know what it was. Once you figure it out, you can start to fix the problem. It's a day-to-day struggle."

"At one point, I didn’t get out of bed for, I think, three months, and I went down to the bottom of the hill one day and I had to call somebody to get me to come back up—come pick me up because I couldn’t physically walk up the hill."

"Words are not even within me. They’re not in my vocabulary to really express the kind of feeling that I had."


"That’s the era we grew up in. It’s weak to go to a psychiatrist."

"He does all research now, but he put me on some medication, Zoloft, and, I tell you what, a lot of people have had pros and cons about it, but it was my wonder drug."

"But the main thing is that medication, too, is not all the help."

"You know, as any parent will say, you know, life happens."

What's Your Mama's Name? - Tanya Tucker

Soon - Tanya Tucker

When The Rodeo Is Over (Where Does The Cowboy Go?) - Tanya Tucker

And one last parting shot...

"I don’t know what keeps me going. Sometimes I wonder… I think it’s just pure perseverance and wanting to succeed and having that burning desire to always have success."

"I have an unending desire to be better and make myself a better person, better mother."

"The best thing is being able to perform in front of people and to express my feelings, whatever they may be at the time. Just to be able to make the world a happier place to be."

No comments: