Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Oleta Adams

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Oleta Adams

In my own, personal, big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to Those of the Heart. These are the singers, songwriters and muses who have spent a lifetime capturing various aspects of the human condition. Frequently, due to the whims of the music industry, their lives were not always their own... but they persevered... ultimately remaining true to their roles as seers of the heart. 

One such stirring soul?

Four-time Grammy nominated Singer, songwriter and pianist Oleta Adams.

She's so much more than her signature song, Brenda Russell's Get Here.

Discovered doing four sets a night in a hotel lounge by the guys from Tears For Fear, she was catapulted into the spotlight - because her voice was simply undeniable.

And it remains so. 

Gentle, thoughtful, grateful...

Through it all, she's never lost sight about who she is and what she wanted to accomplish in this life. 

Her serene sounds continue to captivate audiences to this day.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here's three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic: Integrity And Gratitude


"Learn your craft well. Take care of your own business. Success (popularity) is fleeting for most, but longevity lies in a quality craft with integrity. Oh, and don't take yourself too seriously."

"When I stay focused and honest about who I am and the image that I hope to portray, then I won't find myself stranded in unfamiliar territory chasing money or popularity. If the work that you do is quality, then you'll be rewarded. It's also good to stretch musically within the realm of your ability, but not if it compromises your integrity."



"I enjoyed all of the tours and learned something from everyone."

"I have never stopped performing live. I've been blessed with the talent to sing and play the piano so I can fit into a lot of different configurations and venues. I play public and private performances and it has served me well. And I've been fortunate to work in Europe and Asia as well as The US."


"To all of the people who have remembered my music and the one's each day that I check on under my Instagram, Facebook and website, who are telling me, I play your music everyday and that it inspires and helps me start the day in a positive way. That just makes me feel great and that's the reason why I'm putting out music. It's for the benefit of those who need that extra pat on the back and extra inspiration, so I thank you so very much."

Get Here - Oleta Adams

Window Of Hope - Oleta Adams

This Love Won't Fail - Oleta Adams

And one last parting shot...

"Praying is simple. Use the words that you know. You don't have to be eloquent, just sincere and reverent."

"I've recorded songs that are prayers in different styles, not just in the traditional gospel style that can help and comfort them. It's the words that matter most."

"As a nation we've been faced with so many tragedies since the beginning of this Millennium and I believe we have even more reason to pray. Many people don't feel capable in that area and I wanted to create music that helped them find the words that could bring peace."

No comments: