Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Adele

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Adele

In my own, personal, big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to Those of the Heart. These are the singers, songwriters and muses who have spent a lifetime capturing various aspects of the human condition. Frequently, due to the whims of the music industry, their lives were not always their own... but they persevered... ultimately remaining true to their roles as seers of the heart. 

One such soul?

Adele.

Simply, Adele.

Or, perhaps... not so simple.

It's been interesting. Watching her evolve. Listening to her grow. She's grown up before our eyes.

And now, this rather unexpected butterfly has emerged. 

But the sound hasn't changed. That core. Where it all begins and lives. That remains quite real.

And visceral. 

And relatable. 

Time and again, as a writer, as a singer, she's managed to tap into a universal well of emotion and reveal to us and for us... something we all know - something we all experience. 

You could do worse than sharing such things with Adele. 

She's one of the world's mirrors. We see ourselves, whomever we happen to be, in her. Through her music. 

That is her gift.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here's three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic: Writing Personally

"It's warts and all in my songs, and I think that's why people can relate to them."

"When I sing Someone Like You, I know that every single person in the room will be able to relate to it. That's where that emotional connection comes from. I have sympathy for myself, I have sympathy for them, they have sympathy for me, and I know that we are all there knowing exactly how each other feels. It's like a big pact. You can just feel it. You can slice it."

"I don't write songs about a specific, elusive thing. I write about love, and everyone knows what it is like to have your heart broken."  

“Heartbreak can definitely give you a deeper sensibility for writing songs. I drew on a lot of heartbreak when I was writing my first album, I didn't mean to but I just did.”

"I don't think sadness is always devastating. It can be quite uplifting and joyful as well and sometimes, you have to let yourself be sad in order to move forward, so once I sort of started looking at it like that, I was quite happy to do it and also I felt like I didn't need to let myself go this time in order to access my creativity, so that was good."

"The way I write my songs is that I have to believe what I'm writing about, and that's why they always end up being so personal - because the kind of artists I like, they convince me, they totally win me over straight away in that thing. Like - Oh my God, this song is totally about me."

"If I were a writer and not a singer in ten years, I don't know how I'd feel about writing really personal songs and getting someone else to sing them."

"I wouldn't be able to write a song like Someone Like You and get someone else to sing it because it's so personal. It's like giving away your heart."

Chasing Pavements - Adele

Someone Like You - Adele

Easy On Me - Adele

--- ---

"I love a bit of drama. That's a bad thing. I can flip really quickly."

"My life is full of drama, and I don't have time to worry about something as petty as what I look like. I don't like going to the gym. I like eating fine foods and drinking nice wine. Even if I had a really good figure, I don't think I'd get my tits and ass out for no one. I love seeing Lady Gaga's boobs and bum. I love seeing Katy Perry's boobs and bum. Love it. But that's not what my music is about. I don't make music for eyes, I make music for ears."

"I used to fucking love the drama of all of it, but now I'm a mum I only have so much head space. I've got to clear a lot of stuff the fuck out, which is really therapeutic, 'cause I can really hold a grudge. Life is so much easier when you don't hoard your past."  

"I haven't got time to fall apart. I'm the backbone for my kid, and I want to be there for him. And I want to be there for my boyfriend as well, and I don't want to bring them down with me for my art."

2 comments:

Bob said...

One of my all-time favorites from the second I heard her. The opening chords of 'Someone Like You' bring tears to my eyes and the idea that it's just a voice and a piano is stunning.

Thanks for starting my Sunday with these three gorgeous tunes.

SickoRicko said...

I love her music.