Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Wonderland Burlesque's Summer Favorites Quiz

Wonderland Burlesque's 
Summer Favorites Quiz

I sure am in a summer mood... a summer place.

'Tis the season. I say, strike while the sun is hot. And boy, is it ever, this year. About time we all get on board with this whole global warming initiative before that big ball of fire starts melting us like we popsicles. 

Now, if some of this seems familiar to y'all... that could be because just last week we did a whole quiz on summer activities. This is sort of related topics with a little bit of spillover. I know y'all don't mind, but I tell you... I just gotta be straight wit you (for once - ha!)

So, today we gonna take a look at those things that make the cork in our bottles pop in the morning just thinkin' about 'em. And I ain't talkin' 'bout whatever trick you dragged home last night, oh, no, honey. We all know he just a passing thang.

No, today it's all about your summer favorites. Those things you keep going back to, summer after summer - the things that help define the season for you. 

It's like me and that oak tree at the prairie. I spend eight months a year looking forward to the four I get to spend sittin' under it's mighty branches. I tell you, anything ever happens to that damn tree, I am just gonna be a mess. But I have faith, that year after year, that tree is gonna be there for me. I just might have my ashes sprinkled under it when I am gone. 

So... you get the idea. These are things we love to love. The things that make summer our summer every year. What's on your list? Here's mine...

1/ A Drink On A Patio (Alcoholic)

I'm sort of attracted to all those pineapple and orange juice kind of cocktails they serve in the summer. I think most of them are made with rum. I sure like reading about them and stealing a sip from whoever at my table I happen to convince to try it.

But in my heart of hearts... I just want a gin and tonic or a gin martini. One is fun and flavorful, and the other is for getting down to business... as in, talking dirt. Nothing loosens my tongue like a bit of martini.

And that said... guess what? I'm sort of off the whole drinking game this summer. I don't know. Even when I limit myself to one, I wake up the next morning regretting it. Now, it could be what I'm eating with my little gin cocktail, but something is telling me, 'no, honey... it dah gin.'

So, I have been limiting myself more and more. A social occasion with a meal? Sure, I will have one. But sitting around chatting or watching a movie? Well, unless I want to wake up the next morning feeling older than my years, I best reach for a bubbly water and leave that gin in the bottle for a different occasion.

Just a phase?

I certainly hope so. But last time I felt like this? It was a good five years of teetotaling. Which meant five years of being an uptight bitch nobody wanted to spend time with.

And that said... these days? Unless it makes me feel pretty, I ain't doing it.

(And I don't care how handsome the man!)

2/ Summer sipping - (non alcoholic)

Oh, just hand me a cold one straight out of the fridge... and I am talking a bubbly water. That stuff never gets old - though I do fear I am drinkin' far too much of it these days.  I like the ones with no calories, no juice, no sweeteners, no sodium.. The fruitier the better. Aldi's carries my current faves: blackberry, strawberry and grapefruit. 

The brand name is Belle Vie. It's rather inexpensive and I recycle, so I don't feel too bad about all those aluminum cans. 

Now, I read, one time or 'nother, that too much carbonation is not good for your teeth. So, that is a concern of mine. 

When at the prairie? Oh, dear... I drink cheap ass bottled water.

I always keep track of my empties and carry them back out with me. And they do have recycling bins, so that is good, though I still have a bit of guilt, being so wasteful. It's a matter of convenience - there is no potable water source near the prairie or lake. Yes, they have it plumbed so they can make fake snow in the winter, but if you want a water fountain, you will have to hike all the way back to the parking lot. That shared, I do like drinking plain water. I even enjoy pushing myself to drink tap water, so, no water snob am I!

Do I need or want ice? No. On occasion it's fun. And for an alcoholic drink, a must. But water is fine at almost any temp. And you never want to pour sparkling water over ice; it messes with the carbonation factor. And I'm all for getting the most fizz outta life I can!

3/ Favorite Summer Dessert

Not a big dessert person. A fruit bowl or a bowl of berries? Yes. And if you happen to swirl around a bit of real fruit puree on a plate to make it look all arty? I will be dipping my berries in it. Refreshing and delish. 

I used to like some fresh whipped cream on top, but, as I'm not doing dairy these days, that has lost all its appeal. 

I would also accept a small piece of dark chocolate with nuts in it. I shouldn't do the nuts as they have a tendency to make my throat close a tiny bit, but, I do love the combination. But it has to be the right temperature. Soft chocolate? Oh, no, child, not my thing at all. 

You know me... there's got to be a little firmness to it before it goes in my pie hole. 

And speaking of pie... I like the idea of fruit pies. I think they smell wonderful and are beautiful to behold. Oh, how I love me a nice flaky crust. But most pies are filled with way too much sugar. One bite and I am done. 

Still... pies. They look so nice.

4/ Favorite Summer Snack

I'm still on my granola kick. I just finished the last bag of that closeout brand that I bought all 23 packages of at the dollar store. It was so delicious. Sunbest Natural Granola Clusters. I miss it already.

I'm trying to get by, eating little protein and granola bars. They are good, but they don't satisfy in quite the same way. You know, more and more, I suspect that a tree-hugging hippy type has infiltrated my little group of 'personalities' and I never noticed. 

I also like plain oatmeal with raisins. When I'm at home, I will make myself a bowl when I don't know what will make me happy. It always does the trick. And isn't that what snacking is all about? 

Making happy?

5/ Favorite Picnic Food

I make a giant salad every night... almost always the same things, although, on occasion I will add or subtract something to keep things interesting. And we are talking huge - enough for eight people, I bet. 

It's a lot of cutting and chopping. Romaine lettuce, spinach, celery, grape tomatoes, strawberries, fresh pineapple, and grapes. Purple onion on occasion. Some sunflower seeds. Avocado on occasion. 

I chop up everything. The lettuce and spinach get cut with a pair of kitchen scissors until it's like silage. I like me a nice chopped salad. I toss it in a huge bowl with a spoon-faced spatula and put aside a small bowl for The Ex (I have to make sure he eats his greens.) Then I put a few dabs of this vinaigrette I buy at Aldi's on it before re-tossing it again with the spatula. 

Oh, how I do love tossing salad!

Then, I go outside and sit and eat my big ass salad. So, it's like I'm having a picnic every night.

Hercules, our dog, joins me and I give him a little bit of strawberry or pineapple (I know those are okay for him to eat - I checked) because then I'm not eating alone. I love it. It's generally very quiet. 

During prep time? No television. In fact, I think I may have given up on television completely, except on the weekends when I watch things with The Boyfriend. I used to want all that noise and distraction. But, ultimately found it to be not good for me. Quiet is what I almost always crave. Quiet is the thing that puts me in a better place. 

And quiet outdoors? Well, nothing goes better with summer. 

6/ Favorite Summer Movie

Adventureland
or Zombieland or Wine Country

Adventureland with Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Ryan Reynolds, Kristen Wiig is super fun. One of those summer job films with a little extra.

Zombieland with Jessie Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Abigail Breslin, and Bill Murray. Title says it all. More fun than any movie has a right to be.

Wine Country with Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Ana Gasteyer plus a gaggle of lovely, funny ladies. I'd road trip with these broads any day.

7/ Favorite Summer Songs

Mr. Blue Sky by E.L.O. 

Bottom line. Standing beneath a big blue sky?

Nothing makes me happier. 

Mr. Blue Sky - E.L.O.

And, because it always springs to mind when I think of summer and for all the happiness promised to be found there... 

Under The Boardwalk by Bette Midler

Under The Boardwalk - Bette Midler

For I would love to be down by the sea, on a blanket with my baby...

Nothing would make me happier. 

8/ Favorite Thing To Wear

I should say my beach towel, which I wrap around my waist at the prairie, wearing nothing but.

However, my favorite summer thing is this collection of really old, white t-shirts that have been washed paper thin. I like wearing them at night as its like not wearing anything at all. 

And, no, I don't understand my reasoning, but I think it might have something to do with feeling safe. And comfortable. They all should be thrown out, but until my new ones start replicating their texture and feel... I am gonna hang on to them.

9/ Air Conditioning or Sweat It Out

I would rather sweat it out. Always. I get sad when the temp dips below 88 degrees.

I love heat. I even don't mind humidity. I just want sun and warmth. Get in my bones and stay there.

I wish I was a solar battery... so I could get all charged up by the sun and store its power in me.

Air conditioning? 

It gives me sinus headaches and all sorts of nasal issues. I would much rather have a quiet fan set on low moving air around than feel the chill of that artificial machine. I don't want to live in a refrigerator.

Besides... I think sweat is sexy. 

Wanna work one up? 

10/ Favorite Mode of Transportation (Boat, canoe, kayak, bike, motorcycle, feet, car, bus, plane...)

Feet. 

Love to walk. Love to walk in the heat. Love the prairie and all the little trails. Around and around I go, I don't care how hot it is... I work those trails.

And that's the thing about walkin'... I always need me a place to go. A purpose. I'm an A-Z kind of guy.

What? You don't think my walks around the prairie have a purpose?

Oh, honey... you just ain't been payin' attention.

--- ---

And that's enough of me.

Your turn. You know what to do...

Leave your answers in the comments section or post them on your blog and leave a link here. 

I can't wait to hear what's your favorite summer song.

Until our next quiz...

Thanks for reading and participating. 

Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas















































































































Heatwave - Linda Ronstadt

6 comments:

Bob said...

1/ A Drink On A Patio (Alcoholic)
I will have a nice ice-cold Stella … or maybe a really good New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc … or maybe my own personal cock-a-tail, The Bobarita™: Reposado, Lime Juice, Grand Marnie, chilled, shaken, served straight up.
2/ Summer sipping - (non alcoholic)
Iced Tea … not the sickeningly sweet tea of the South but a tinged with sweetness Iced Tea.

3/ Favorite Summer Dessert
Fresh fruit.

4/ Favorite Summer Snack
Still on fresh fruit … Georgia Peaches are dee-lish right now.

5/ Favorite Picnic Food
My Mom’s Potato Salad. Yum.

6/ Favorite Summer Movie

I don’t think I have one ….

7/ Favorite Summer Songs

I cannot think of a favorite.

8/ Favorite Thing To Wear

Shorts and t-shirts.

9/ Air Conditioning or Sweat It Out

I don’t mind the heat, but the stupidity humidity gets me bothered, so I will take AC.

10/ Favorite Mode of Transportation (Boat, canoe, kayak, bike, motorcycle, feet, car, bus, plane...)
I’m with you: feet.

Your French Patrick said...

Gorgeous! 125 photos, 125 wonders.
As usual.
Best regards.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Whoa. Those menz are surely giving me Summer, no?
Ok, let's see:
1. I don't usually drink. I loathe the taste of beer and most hard liquor. I do like cocktails. My favorite is called Oaxacan Penicillin.
2. For summer beverages, I like fruit juices: mango, papaya, tamarind. Yum.
3. Summer dessert? All? Dessert has no season for me.
4. Summer snack? All?
5. Fav picnic food? I do like potato salad. I know, pedestrian, but I like it. And anything with avocado.
6. Summer movie? In the Heights.
7. Summer song? Crush, by Jennifer Paige.
8. Shorts. I love wearing shorts, a t-shirt and my Converse.
9. Air conditioning. 100 degrees and humid is not cute.
10. I was just thinking I need to dust up my bike. I have not used it yet this summer. It's about time.

XOXO

whkattk said...

1. Mojitos seem to be the go-to lately. That or Moscow Mule.
2. Iced tea. Always.
3. Strawberries and cream...which I first had in London. Yum!
4. A handful of pecans.
5. When we used to picnic before a show at an amphitheatre, it was always chicken.
6. ??
7. You hit mine. But missed "A Summer Place."
8. Nothing. But if I must, a tshirt and 501 shorts.
9. A/C unless I'm lounging poolside where I can jump in.
10. Lately we've been walking - though it's very difficult for me.

SickoRicko said...

Summertime and the livin' is easy.

Mistress Maddie said...

1/ A Drink On A Patio While I do gin and tonic year round, I do mix in patio day drinking with either a Pimms Cup, or a cold beer.

2/ Summer sipping - flavored water.

3/ Favorite Summer Dessert I'd have to say blueberry ice cream.

4/ Favorite Summer Snack Chilled shrimp.

5/ Favorite Picnic Food Deviled eggs. And I make very tasty deviled eggs.

6/ Favorite Summer Movie Don't really have one.

7/ Favorite Summer Songs. Not a song, but a cd. A house mix cd by Junior Vasquez. It forever reminds me of the beach.

8/ Favorite Thing To Wear Wear? I spend a good potion either in a square cut or speedo, or just nude.

9/ Air-conditioning or sweat it. I do use air unless it gets really hot...Im a hot house flower and don't really mind the heat.

10/ Favorite Mode of Transportation Preferably riding the hard cock of a hot man, I'd say.