Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Weekend Onesie: The Last Monarch

Weekend Onesie: The Last Monarch

When at the prairie, I tend to pay attention to the wildlife, the insects, the various grasses and plants. For the past few years, I've noted an incredible decrease in the number of Monarch butterflies present. 

The Loppet organization used to offer a class about Monarchs and bring groups of children to the prairie to learn about their habitat. They no longer offer that course. 

There used to be dozens and dozens.

Last year, there were two.

This year... there is one. 

The last Monarch. 

I know that their breeding grounds in Mexico have been under attack for a number of years. And, of course, the prairie has been under attack as well, as The Loppet Organization continues to create 'opportunities' for families at the expense of its health and welfare.

But, I never thought I'd see the day.

Maybe it's an anomaly. Or maybe there are other Monarchs, but they're shy or don't work on Fridays. 

But, as of this writing, I've only seen one. And I've been monitoring the situation since May. There are other kinds of butterflies about, but their numbers, too, seem on the wane. 

It's hard to remain passive in the light of the extinction of something so precious. And yet, humankind seems content to do just that. Those of us aware, we spend hours contemplating what such an event means and mourn such losses, but... seriously? What can we do?

No, I'm asking. 

Are we powerless? Is there nothing to be done? Are the powers that be so very ominous and faceless that we are unable to engage them in conversation? I wouldn't even know where to begin. Whatever the source of the issue, it seems too far 'out there' for me to have any impact. Too faceless. Too complex. 

And, so, I simply try to enjoy the moment. The Monarch appears here and there, flitting about. That is their gift. Every time I do spot them I take it as a sign of good fortune. They seem content and happy, so I simply feed off the color and joy they bring to the prairie... even if it's only one. 

As I am one.

One person. 

I do my part... or effect change where I can. Every Friday, the first thing I do is scout the prairie for litter. I gather it all up - no matter how gross - and pile it up. Then, when I leave for the day, I take it with me and deposit it all in a designated trash can at the mouth of the main trail, just before I return to my car. 

It's a little thing. 

And I'm not patting myself on the back, either, for my motivation isn't exactly all that altruistic; all that garbage? It gets in the way of my being able to enjoy the prairie. It's unsightly and off-putting. I want to surround myself with beauty while I spend time there - not somebody's used condom wrapper. 

So, yes, a little thing. 

Something no one else seems to have the motivation to do. That's my opportunity to contribute to the prairie's well-being, so I take it seriously. And I do tell others that I do it, as my hope is that they, too, will take up the cause and try and have a positive impact on the area we all enjoy and love. 

It's a tiny thing, which makes a huge difference.

Not unlike a single butterfly.

Not unlike...

The last Monarch. 

Save Me - Morandi











Frozen - Madonna

2 comments:

SickoRicko said...

Picking up the trash has a big impact.

As for the decimation of the Monarchs, we are powerless.

manrico said...

I generally have quite a few monarchs flying in my Bay Area yard because I have lots of milkweed planted (really self-seeded). Unfortunately birds eat a lot of the caterpillars, but I guess enough make it through because there are the grown butterflies, fluttering in the air.

Picking up trash is great, and if you have a yard, plant a milkweed or two.