Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Sunday Diva/ Three From The Hip: Brenda Russell

Sunday Diva/ Three From The Hip
Brenda Russell

In my own personal big gay church, there are many wings. Today, we visit the wing dedicated to those of The Quiet Storm; divas who have the ability to mesmerize with their voices, bringing us into their world, seducing us, providing emotional shelter and a uniquely intimate experience. One such emotional seer...

Brenda Russell.

Her beauty and radiance shine so brightly.

Singer/songwriters come in many forms, but few can touch the smoky peaks of Brenda Russell.

Graced with wisdom and abundant talent, she began her career as part of a duo, but quickly found her feet.

Since then, she's become an industry standard by which other songwriters judge their work. With her effortless chic and metropolitan attitude, her influence spans generations. Her work packs a sophisticated intelligence and emotional maturity few artists achieve.

Three songs instantly spring to mind: Get Here, popularized by Oleta Adams, Dinner With Gershwin, recorded by Donna Summer, and her own Piano In The Dark. But there is so much more to her catalog of songs - all as timeless as the diva herself, and well worth exploring.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic: Songwriting/Singing


"I've always been insecure about my singing. That's why I've focused so much on my songwriting."

Being a background singer is one thing, but being on stage as the star is something else again. When you walk out there with all those people staring at you, it's like you're naked to the world. And I hate being criticized."


"I learned early in my writing career that if I try to tailor a song for someone else, I'm usually off base. They're usually looking for something from you with your character."


"I follow my instincts. Maybe I'd be more successful in my business and my private life if I did things like everybody else. But I just feel like I'm different from everybody else.

So Good, So Right - Brenda Russell

Piano In The Dark - Brenda Russell

Kiss Me With The Wind - Brenda Russell

And one last parting shot...

"It's pretty cool that artists like Flo Rida and Bingo Players can be inspired to interpret a song like Piano in the Dark in completely new genres. As an artist and writer, it's the highest compliment we can be paid."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brenda Russell and her partner Brian were affiliated with the Elton John' owned Rocket Records label for a while. They sang background vocals on albums released by various Rocket artists signed. And if memory serves correct they released a few singles on the label but never any album length records. But like many of their label mates, Rocket never seemed to be able to figure out what to do with them. Same thing happened when Neil Sedaka and Cliff Richard were signed to Rocket. Perhaps fittingly EJ doesn't devote much time or space to the label in his bio.