Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Wanda Sykes

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Wanda Sykes

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to the Ladies Of Comedy. These are the folks who made us laugh and, on occasion, brought a tear to our eyes. They are visionaries, capturing aspects of the human condition while holding up a mirror to the world. Their characters, style, and phrases have helped form our daily vernacular in ways we are not even always aware of - but that is the power of comedy and the magic these divas all possess. Breaking ground while breaking all the rules?

Second nature for one such fireball...

Wanda Sykes.

She'll cut you... but you'll laugh as you bleed.

The lady has a way of cutting through to the truth, revealing a side of life you had never considered.

Her POV is pointed and formed from a lifetime of experience. 

She tried to be straight. Now, she's happily gay. Married to a French woman, they have two kids.

Her voice? It's like a wise old man telling you a story. There's something familial about her tone. You trust her... instantly. That's come with time and a long line of different gigs.

She's done it all... stand-up, specials, writing for others, television, sitcoms, movies. She even hosted the Oscars. 

Now? She's part of the American vernacular. And if you're smart? You'll pay attention to what she has to say... sure, she's funny - but there's a lot of common sense being served up in all that patter. 

Smart is funny. 

And if there's one thing Wanda Sykes brings to the table? It's smart.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, falling from her lips.

The topic? Stand Up.


"If you feel like there's something out there that you're supposed to be doing, if you have a passion for it, then stop wishing and just do it."

"If you're passionate about your work, it makes the people around you want to be involved too."

"I'm here today because I hated everything else."

"I'm here today because I refused to be unhappy. I took a chance."


"I really can't pinpoint the one moment when I said I want to be a comic."

"The first time onstage, a light went on. 'OK, this is my thing. I'm comfortable here. This is my thing."

"I watched a lot of comedy growing up."

"I knew I was outspoken when I was a kid because, whenever my parents had company coming over, they would pay me to leave. 'Go see your grandmother. Get out of here.' That was my first paying gig."


"It wasn't until I became more confident with myself and I put myself forward instead of the jokes; at first it was put the jokes out there and I'm just behind the jokes."

"My voice is distinctive: there's a rhythm to it, and also, it's funny. I was just blessed with a funny-sounding voice."

"It's not until you develop your own voice, your own persona onstage that you become your own comic, who you really are."

"I'm finally just relaxed and comfortable with who I am."


Get To Know Wanda Sykes In Six Jokes - Wanda Sykes

My Family Is White - Wanda Sykes
(2015)

First Girl Crush - Wanda Sykes
(2023)

And one last parting shot...

"My wife asked me if I ever thought I would ever retire from stand-up. And I thought about it, and I was like, 'No, because it's my job; it's what I do, and I enjoy it.' It's still the most challenging thing for me to do."

3 comments:

Bob said...

Wanda is common sense funny, story-telling funny.

whkattk said...

Adore this woman! Whether she's doing her stand-up or in a TV show or film...she's got it!

SickoRicko said...

I really like Wanda.