Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 07, 2024

Sunday Divas/Three From The Hip: En Vogue

Sunday Divas/Three From The Hip: 
En Vogue

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to what can only be described as... The Sisterhood. No matter their musical genre of choice, these ladies came together as a unit, joined arms and mesmerized the world. Their harmonies inspired unity while creating an energy which was absolutely infectious. Hit after hit, they earned their place in music history, sharing their unique vocal stylings. 

One such group?

En Vogue.

Using new jack swing as a leaping off point, through the years that followed, these divas carved out their own special brand of R&B, delivering phat beats, exquisite harmonies, all with a powerful, uplifting message. 

From note one, they did it all with such style and grace. Runway beautiful with swag and composure to spare. 

Their time in the sun? So not over. For they are still out there, playing before crowds of adoring fans. 

And they have them. Loyal fans. People who bought their music and believed their message. These women influenced an entire generation of females and clued in the men paying attention on just how to treat a lady. 

The gospel according to them?

Well, her are three from the hip, dropping from their lips.

The topic? We'll just let the music do the talking.

--- ---


"The art of playing games now
Is not the hearts you break
It's 'bout good love you make
When his heart's on fire
Give him love every day
Remember he needs space
Be patient and he'll give his heart to you
Don't waste your time
Fighting blind minded thoughts of despair
Hold on to your love..."


"I remember how it used to be
You never was this nice, you can't fool me
Now you talking like you made a change
The more you talk, the more things sound the same
 
What makes you think you can just walk back into her life 
Without a good fight? 
I just sit back and watch you make a fool of yourself 
'Cause you're just wasting your time, oh

No, you're never gonna get it (not this time)..."


"I wear tight clothing, high-heeled shoes
It doesn't mean that I'm a prostitute
I like rap music, wear hip-hop clothes
That doesn't mean that I'm out sellin' dope
Oh my, forgive me for having straight hair,
It doesn't mean there's another blood in my heir,
I might date another race or color
It doesn't mean I don't like my strong black brothers

Why, oh why must it be this way?
Before you can read me
You got to learn how to see me
I said

Free your mind
 And the rest will follow
Be colour-blind
Don't be so shallow..."

Hold On - En Vogue

My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) - En Vogue

Riddle - En Vogue

And one last parting shot...

"I often fantasize the stars above are watching you
They know my heart and speak to yours like only lovers do
If I could wear your clothes
I'd pretend I was you
And lose control

There'll be some love making, heartbreaking, soul shaking
Oh, love making, heartbreaking, soul shaking

What's it gonna be 'cause I can't pretend?
Don't you wanna be more than friends?
Hold me tight and don't let go 
You have the right to lose control... "

No comments: