Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Kate McKinnon

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Kate McKinnon

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to the Ladies Of Comedy. Theses are the gals who made us laugh and, on occasion, brought a tear to our eyes. They are visionaries, capturing aspects of the human condition while holding up a mirror to the world. Their characters, style, and phrases have helped form our daily vernacular in ways we are not even always aware of - but that is the power of comedy and the magic these ladies all possess. Breaking ground while breaking all the rules? Second nature for these queens of comedy.

One such cutting edge chameleon?

Kate McKinnon.

There's something so genuine about this person. All her comedy seems to come from a place of love. 

Whether big screen or small, there's nothing one-dimensional about her characterizations. Filled with energy and a potential wild abandon, you never see where she's going until she gets there. And she does; the lady lands it every time. 

And don't underestimate her for a second, for, while not calculated, her brand of comedy is well-rounded, well thought out, and grounded in the smartest of realities. It's like she's testing the waters with her intellectually infused performances almost daring us to 'get it'.

The thing is... there's so much more to come from this one. Oh, yes, she's just getting started. But if her past is any indication of her future, we, as an audience, will continue to be unable to take our eyes off her. Whether chewing the scenery, sharing an insight, impersonating a celebrity, stealing a scene, or cutting through the crap, this diva manages to keep the world riveted on her every move. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The Topic? Being Tragically Uncool
 

"I'm a very low-key person, but for some reason, I like to act out."

"I was very serene, and I still am, until I start talking in another voice, then suddenly I have a lot of volume and I'm frantic. But I didn't want to be one of those people who's always talking in accents in real life, so I started doing sketch comedy."

"I only come up with things when I am talking to myself, which I do constantly. The sidewalk and the subway are the best places for this. I speak at full volume and then laugh at myself if I like what I just said."

"I found I could speak louder and was more comfortable if I was doing it in someone else's crazy voice."



"You can't make the audience fall in love with a character you don't like."

"I tried for a short time to be something I wasn't, and had no success with it. It's a practical solution to just be yourself."


"I pride myself on being tragically uncool."

"If you asked me to seriously kiss someone on a screen, I would be very uncomfortable. But I will lick any part of your face."

"I love gross kissing. I think it's the most fun thing to do."
 
On Set Interview - Kate McKinnon
Big Gay Sketch Show

SNL Presents Kate McKinnon as Justin Bieber

Weird Barbie - Kate McKinnon
from the 2023 motion picture Barbie

And one last parting shot...

"Nothing makes me laugh more than farting."

"It's such an insult that foul gas comes out of a hole in our butt with a sound to announce itself. It's the ultimate bad thing about being a person."

1 comment:

Bob said...

Love her! Can do anything.