Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Wednesday's Question Of The Day: Shaking Your Head

Wednesday's Question Of The Day: 
Shaking Your Head

Hump day? Well, I'll give you something to ponder.

Yes, it's time for Wednesday's Question Of The Day.

Each Wednesday, a new question to give you the opportunity to do a bit of self-examination.  Think of it as a way of getting to know all about you and a chance to learn a little more about me. 

That's right. You know me; spill that tea! For I am the king of over-sharing!

Oh, and please leave your responses in the comments section. 

Why, think of this as a little blogging kiki!

Okay! Ready, set... 

Here's today's question:

What is something in the world that has you shaking your head?

This list could be really long.

I could blog about the things I don't understand for the rest of my life.

But something that recently bugged the 'F' outta me?

Why do people take dietary advice from obese people?

I'm looking at you... celebrity chefs with your reality shows, road trip shows and cooking segments, spouting praise for tons of butter and deep-fried everything.

Now, just to be clear - I'm not body-shaming...

I'm diet-shaming.

From time to time, I get these notifications on my phone for stories that might interest me. The other day, it was a chef sharing his favorite midnight snack. Of course it's a round-faced white man sporting a goatee with spiky bleach blond hair. He's 'edgy', I guess. I looked at the ingredients of the sandwich he was promoting and was appalled. Not only was it not something one should eat before going to bed, it was something no one in their right mind should eat - ever.

The sandwich this fool was promoting? It was gross. It was so unhealthy. 

And that's when had to I ask myself... why are we - the public - paying any attention to what these obese people are telling us to eat? Obviously, it's not working for them - why would we want to follow in their footsteps?

And why aren't these chefs promoting healthy eating?

Because healthy food is simple food. Eating whole foods? Not exactly a time-slot filler.

Also - people don't want to eat healthy. They crave junk food. They want to fill up the emptiness of their existence by eating crap that satisfies. They are looking for instant gratification.

For, once you eat something super-salty or deep-fried or dripping with sugar-coated/salt-infused condiments and sauces? Suddenly something as simple as a carrot doesn't have any flavor or appeal.

And how is that a good thing? How is that a thing to hang your hat on and promote?

It's about money. And fame. Filling airtime. And filling people's mouths with garbage food.

I also sometimes wonder if they are in league with the pharmaceutical companies...   

Diabetes? Never goes out of style.

Now, I realize a cooking show about eating healthy? Well, that's about three or five episodes and you've pretty much covered it. Plus, keep in mind that the general public still thinks vegetables are things dorks eat.

And I am aware that a few of those celebrity chefs have tried to clean up their act (and their health) a tiny bit, losing a few pounds, but... come on, folks. It's too little, too late. And it's not consistent.

Personally, I plan on living to be a ripe old age. I do not have the strength or interest in carrying around twenty or thirty or seventy-five extra pounds. I value my heart. I value my arteries. I don't want to be indebted to the pharmaceutical companies or visit my doctor more than I already am. 

I also have no desire to feel guilty about what I eat. 

Do I splurge every once in awhile? Of course. We all should. Eating should be fun. It should be an adventure. But there are culinary road trips I don't have any desire to take. And a steady diet of the crap food these chefs offer up? 

No thank you.

Trust me...

Healthy tastes great. 

Eat healthy and live a long, illness-free life.

Eat It - Weird Al Yankovic

2 comments:

whkattk said...

Reality shows. No, not the cooking shows or the home reno shows or the nature shows. Not even the game shows. I'm talking The Bachelor, The Housewives, the Married at First Sight, the 90-Day Fiancee...the true dreck that is put together to fill air time. Oy, vey!!!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I really don't understand reality shows like the Kartrashians: people famous for being famous and good for very little.
I just can't.

XOXO