Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Acquired Tastes XLIII - Gay Pulp Fiction: Adult Book, Part Three: Dick Dale, Don Holliday, and Jay Vickery

Acquired Tastes XLIII: Gay Pulp Fiction
Adult Book, Part Three
Dick Dale, Don Holliday, and Jay Vickery 

Continuing on with our exploration of Greenleaf Classic's Adult Book imprint, today we'll be looking at three more authors: Dick Dale, Don Holliday, and Jay Vickery.  To learn more about the history of this imprint, check out my previous two posts: Part One and Part Two.

These three authors' works are also part of the slew of gay-oriented titles published under the Adult Book banner May thru November of 1968 - with one exception. 

Don Holliday (Victor J. Banis) was already an established author in the genre, albeit under a different imprint. So it comes as no surprise that his Three on a Broomstick is one of two gay pulp novels published by Adult Book, back at the launch of the imprint in October of 1967.

And here's another surprise: Jay Vickery? That's Victor J. Banis, writing under a different pseudonym. Notice the play on his actual name. So, truth be told, we are only examining the works of two authors today, not three. 

Okay, let's have a little fun at their expense.  

Three by Dick Dale

Dick Dale is the author of nine books in this genre, three of them as part of the Adult Book imprint. He also had works published under the banners of Late-Hour Library Book, Night Stand Book and Companion Book. We'll get to all those eventually. 

Gay Paragon
Cover Art: Darrell Millsap
"Greg had a body fit for a queen!"

Greg certainly does have a great bod. But could that g-string be anymore 'gee'? If that thing snaps, it's gonna take someone's eye out. Maybe the eye of that pervy photographer? Love the purple passion couch. I'm sure Prince owned one just like it... with fewer stains. No. Probably more.  A lot more.

Callboy
Cover Art: Darrell Millsap
"He hustled muscle in two sin-towns!"

I dunno. Looks like a possible drug deal to me. That's a very odd handshake. And the older guy... is that... Hugh Hefner? And is he hitting on a young Andy Williams? Who the hell knows what went down in the grotto back in the day. But something tells me Callboy is about to find out. 

The Fag End
Cover Art: Robert Bonfils
"They hurried on down at the gay soul's picnic!"

OMG. I have been looking at this cover for days and just realized that the two gentlemen are headed toward the open door of a double-seated outhouse! (Been there, done that.) Soul's Picnic? Well, someone sure looks a little stoned. I wonder if Laura Nyro was invited. Gawd... I hope they don't plan on eating in there.

Two by Don Holliday


Don Holliday (Victor J. Banis) wrote books at the same rate most fifteen year-olds masturbate. He certainly was firing 'em off.  Under his various pseudonyms, he is credited with 173 novels on LibraryThing. I will need to do a bit of research to verify that number, but something tells me it is spot on. Victor is referred to as 'the godfather of popular gay fiction'.  He recently passed away, in February 2019.  More on him to come...

Three on a Broomstick
Cover Art: Robert Bonfils
"A gay cauldron of campy vamps, flying..."

Okay, so I love-love-love this cover art. It seems so 'Sweet Charity' inspired, but this book actually predates that film.  But how is that not Shirley, Paula and Chita? I may actually have to buy a copy of this one. It seems so... zany. And I hate that word, but it sure applies here. I mean, just look at the hairy gams and googly-eyed tits on the redhead! And those black silk stockings with the stocking belts showing... to die for. Plus... They're Witches! (I guess.)

Home of the Gay
Cover Art: Ed Smith
"A Hollywood heyday of dark desire!"

Hmm. So, is he comforting the man on his knees, or trying to guide his head downward? You know those Hollywood types... or at least I've read about them. Sneaky, sneaky.  And that poor manservant. Oh, you just know that once that young stud becomes a star he is going to wipe the cum off his face and leave that poolside romance on a shelf in his past. And that's when the faithful man servant, tray of cocktails in hand, will declare his love and blondie in the red trunks will realize that his one true love was always close at hand. 

Three by Jay Vickery

As mentioned, Jay Vickery is one of 19 aliases Victor J. Banis wrote under. These three are the only three works written under that name. 

Man Into Boy
Cover Art: Ed Smith
"A spellbinding tale of love transcending time!"

A sci fi / roman gods / aquatic / time travelling / gay romance? Oh, do tell. Just how many sub genres are we attempting to shove between this book's cover? Know what? I am spellbound.  Apparently Mr. Banis enjoys mixing his genres as much as he enjoys mixing a cocktail... or should I say, cock tale... (sorry).

Gaydreams
Cover Art: Darrel Millsap
"He lived in a sensual shadow world of..."

Darrell Millsap, once again, knocks it out of the park. No one draws clingy, dewy-eyed fashion-minded dames like he does. Is she his beard? His fag hag? A former high school sweetheart? A marriage-minded co-worker? Or the clueless, fawning girl across the hall?  You know what I really want to know? Who infected the dude around the corner with kryptonite. Looks like he glows in the dark. Well, that way he won't be hard to find. Know what else isn't hard to find? That not-so-subtle dick print on blondie's jeans. Nice touch, Darrell.

Brandon's Boy
Cover Art: Darrell Millsap
"The Greek went South and the Southerner went greek."

Great tagline. I assume Brandon is the one standing in his birthday suit on the front lawn. Strike a pose, Mary! That lass has got sass!  I love the Greek with his pants wide open. Could he shove his shirt in any further?  He looks a bit like a teen idol past his prime... Bobby Sherman... Bobby Darin, maybe? And are they standing in front of Brandon's big old plantation style house? Why I do declare! Maybe Brandon could make some clothes out of those drapes!

--- ---

Like what you see? I hope so, because there is a ton more where these came from. Did I get something wrong? Let me know. Speaking of which: slight correction to my last gay pulp fiction post: that collection of over 4,000 works (1950-1965) at the Stonewall Museum in Fort Lauderdale are in the archives, and not on display. I found the info on their website and didn't realize I had chosen the archives tab. 

Stoned Soul's Picnic - The 5th Dimension

3 comments:

whkattk said...

Well, will you lookee here!! I'm able to leave comments again! Yippee!

I wonder if gay books like this still sell well. Maybe I could learn to supplement my income....

Hot guys said...

"The Fag End"... LMAO! 😜

Oh my, some of these!! 🤷‍♂️

Deliciousdeity said...

OMG I want that purple couch! I love these old pharmacy rack pulps! Thanks for the witty and colourful post :)