Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 15, 2020

WFH : Working From Home

WFH : Working From Home

I've been working from home since March 1st. 

Initially, I didn't think I would like it. I imagined all the potential distractions that typically come with home life; only... they never materialized.  I also thought I would be lazy and shiftless and take advantage of the situation: doing the bare minimum, watching Netflix, doing personal business during working hours. 
But that hasn't happened, either. 

That first week, I created a list of things to get done around the house, thinking, finally, I was going to get caught up. But after that first week? That list fell to the wayside (I think I've accomplished about three things on it). Oh, on certain days I might throw in a load of laundry. Or sort a cupboard (I have been playing CD's I forgot I owned). Or I clean a bit - I enjoy dusting. But other than those momentary time-fillers, my mind is on my job.

Turns out - I like to work. 

Part of the reason it works so well is because my home office is in a bunker. My little apartment in the basement allows for a minimum of distraction. Yes, I hear the dog bark, or my ex stomp around upstairs, but mostly I enjoy the hum of my tiny fridge and the whoosh of my circulating fan and laptops. 

I get up at 4:30 or 5:00 am and hop on-line. Surrounded by three laptops (I actually have five - but two of those are music related), I work up until 11:00, when I stop and meet the boyfriend for a bike ride or run. An hour later, I am back at it and remain so until 4:00 pm, at which time I cross the street and have a cup of coffee with my mother. 

And it doesn't stop there. I check in at 7:30 pm. And I check in just before I go to bed. I would say I am actually spending more time working now than ever before. 

And I resent it a whole lot less. 

That probably has something to do with all the money and time I am saving. 

Gone is the rush out the door and the commute. Gone are the weekly visits to the gas station. I don't drive very much at all, so my anxiety has reduced greatly. 

Gone are trips to concerts and restaurants along with the expense of both. Every two weeks I pay off the balance on my credit card and am currently spending less than a third of what I used to. 

Gone is the hour I used to watch the news before going to work. I have sort of unplugged from the news media, for the most part. I still watch the news while preparing my evening meal, but no longer do I spend time on-line reading up on the latest screw-ups in DC. I think the pandemic and the death of George Floyd has caused a sort of sensory overload.

Gone are dreaded lunch meetings and those annoying 'celebrations' that would pop up in the workplace - a baby shower, a work anniversary, impending nuptials - always accompanied with soggy take-out sandwiches, unwanted donuts, sweets and calorie-laden appetizers. Working from home, I was afraid I would eat more and gain weight. But that has not been the case. I actually eat less and better (more salads) than when I was working at the office. 

I do miss going to the gym every day. But, e
very time I make a cup of tea (which takes 4 minutes in my microwave), I throw down my yoga mat and do a combination of calisthenics and dumbbell exercises. I manage to get in a full work out by the end of the day. And then there are those bike rides and runs with the boyfriend.

And speaking of the boyfriend - our time together has become calmer, more domestic, more productive; it's quality time. We stay home. We work together to improve our immediate surroundings (gardening, cleaning), and seem to be enjoying and appreciating our weekends much more. 

I find myself living in the moment, playing piano, writing and gardening, or simply sitting under my tree at the prairie.

All of this? I used to not have the energy or patience.

It's a peaceful, productive existence. 

Which is why the prospect of it ending makes me sad. But, last week, a meeting flew into my inbox and it looks like we are discussing a return to work plan. Not sure of its scope - maybe it will only pertain to essential workers - but it worries me. It seems too soon. 

I used to look down on people who worked from home. Lazy, I would say. Getting away with something, I would think. Not holding up their end, I believed. 

But, no more. I get it. 

Working from home works... and it works well. 

I just hope I get to continue doing it...









































































Huey Lewis and The News - Working for a Living

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

LOL...My other half loves it as well! He can sleep later in the morning. But then, spends the day on Zoom and headphones and computer. The only difference from your photos is, he never works naked or with hard on. :)

Mark Greene said...

Giving me some interesting concepts to work with.

Mistress Maddie said...

Well I can hardly do my work from home.so I guess I'll keep trying to do the auto fellicto and see if i can get back into it.

BlkJack said...

As a furloughed personal trainer it's been tough. No longer am I able to walk through the locker room to see if everything is okay. I've always made it my personal mission to make sure that all of the male members were completely satisfied with my level of service. I do miss seeing the "D"!
BlkJack!