Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Wonderland Burlesque's Guest What's For Dinner Quiz

Wonderland Burlesque's 
Guest What's For Dinner Quiz

I have always enjoyed planning a dinner party far more than actually having a dinner party. The concept exists in a state of perfection in my mind, while the actuality is something more of a bore, a snore and a pain-in-the-ass chore. Now... I know that those of you with taste, skills and patience will disagree and it is for those of you so inclined that I have created this quiz.

You're throwing a dinner party! Yes, you! Money is no object. You can invite anyone you like - famous, living or dead, family, ex-boyfriends... you choose.

You get to do it any way you want. So put your own spin on those plates, gurl. Dress it up. Dress it down.

Home cooked or catered? You may have this in your home or any place you please. Again, money is no object. This has nothing to do with reality and all to do with what your ideal dinner party would be.

There are no rules.

Where and when would this be happening?

Oh, dear. This one has been a hard quiz for me to get started. You know me; my mind flies in several directions at once. I want a picnic? No. Something Gatsby grand? No. Celebrities? No.

I've decided to keep this real, working with what I have and know.

I'm going with late June. It's warm enough to be outside, yet not hot and oppressive. Things are green and happy by then.

I am going to have this at the boyfriend's house... cats and all.

He has a lovely dining room. And the most ridiculous dining set: the table is ornate silver wood, the sides inlaid with aged mirrors. The chairs, which have a curve to their back, are silver wood and covered with plush silver/grey velvet, inlaid with these ridiculous large buttons that look like diamonds. The seats are cushioned in the same silver/grey velvet. The two captains chairs? Ostentatious. It has a leaf and seats 6 very, very comfortably. The room itself has an old cherry wood floor, the woodwork is in a lighter cherry wood, lime green walls, and lots of windows that provide plenty of natural light. For the evening, I would banish all the cat towers to the basement (along with scratching posts and toys) and clear the book shelves of excess clutter. I'd set up a small table in the corner right outside the kitchen to serve from.

Describe how the evening progresses?


There will be a cocktail hour on the patio in back. It's covered by a white aluminum awning held up by ornate white metal trestles. There are red flat stones that make up the patio floor. There's a large round table and plenty of seating. 

I will string some white LED Xmas lights under the canopy to create a little fake magic. And there's just enough greenery about to make folks feel in touch with nature. 

Then, dinner. Vegetarian. We're doing a soup, a salad, a main and a dessert.

After dinner and before dessert, we'll return to the patio and have a bit of entertainment. 

We'll remain outdoors for dessert and coffee and remain there until folks head home. 

Of course the weather will cooperate. It always does. Right?  

Theme?

Musically casual. This is just about friends gathering. If something happens, great. If everybody just wants to sit and talk, that's cool too. 

I find that when I have an agenda, I tend to focus on meeting milestones and checking all the boxes. Instead, I am going to opt for simply enjoying some good food, nice music, and fine company. 

Dining room décor/place settings description?

Well, I already described his dining room furniture and the room itself. One wall is dominated by a series of three abstract paintings. I guess they are the focal point of the room. Otherwise it is book shelf city. One bookshelf is filled with books and CDs. The others? Board games - and not your average board games. These are very expensive, highly collectable games designed for the hardcore board game crowd. He frequently helps to kickstart games, so he gets all sorts of special extras which is why the versions he owns are worth so much.

I don't claim to understand the obsession, but having been apprised of their value, I recently nudged The Boyfriend to purchase some insurance for his collection. 

This has been an obsession of his since he was a child. He likes nothing more than unwrapping them, putting them together and reading the rule manuals. Oh, he plays them with others, and me - on occasion. I think of it as one would someone who collects rare books or first editions. 

Anyway, it makes for a very library/scholarly feel to the room. 

The table and chairs are so ornate? I don't think I will be putting anything but a  low profile flower arrangement on the table. Any decorations would clash or compete; it would be overkill. 

Placemats: Something woven - basket weave - I need and like the texture. And, again, to not distract, maybe in a muted grey. I bet I could find something at The Dollar Store. (Yes, I am a Dollar Store Diva.) Napkins will be paper - but the expensive ones. I could get those at a party supply store and, again, muted grey. 

I will have to bring the dinnerware from home. The Boyfriend has this rule when it comes to dinnerware - nothing can match. So he has a collection of odd bowls, plates, glasses. I have snuck a couple of pairs of wine glasses into the mix, but otherwise its a collection of one-offs. Which would make for an interesting table and provide a bit of table banter, but this is my party and that's not me. 

Back when I had an antique/collectibles shop on Chicago Avenue, I got into collecting dish sets, and I was something of a completist; I would hunt until I had place settings for at least eight. I would also research to make sure I found the sugar bowls and the salt shakers, etc. It was kind of nuts. I had to let many of them go when I moved to Los Angeles, but I stored a few of my favorites. 

Given that this is taking place in June, I have decided to go with my Stetson Florals and Leaves collection. Made in Lincoln, Illinois during the 1950's, this dining ware is simply painted, but very colorful. They look like a single, simple watercolor flower.  It will go with the season and add a needed dash of color to the table. I have a set for 16 in yellow, 12 in pink, and a bunch of assorted. Nuts. Just nuts. They sit in a box and really aren't worth anything - yet. 

I will go with the yellow flower, since those are the ones I started with and have the most of. So, my centerpiece will also be floral, but low profile; daisies and day lilies? Maybe use the gravy boat as a vase?

I will place small votives in yellow glass on each side of the center piece. This will add some nice ambient lighting. And lighting is important! Nothing overhead. 

Food / Beverages?

Keeping with the fact that this is casual and something I am going to do myself, I am keeping it simple. 

Outside, the bar will have a nice Chardonnay and a nice Petite Sirah.  Gin will be available, too, mixed with grapefruit fizzy water.  There will be a hummus and olive platter to graze from. 

Soup: A simple ginger carrot pureed soup. It will set up our taste buds for the main. No dairy. I will use coconut oil yogurt, instead.

A bowl filled with toasted/warm naan bread will sit on each end of the table, refilled as needed. And did I mention the set comes with serving bowls? They aren't large, but they match the dinnerware.

Salad: A mix of chopped spinach, mixed greens and purple cabbage. I know a lot of people do not care for fruit in their salad, so, even though I am a huge fan, I will skip it. Instead, I will put a few slices of ripe tomato, a tiny bit of purple onion (easy to remove), topped with a bit of slivered almond and a lemon wedge on the side. Dressing will be a light vinaigrette served in individual tiny ramekins. 

Main: Tikka Masala, (substitute yogurt with coconut oil yogurt), with oven-roasted cauliflower, chickpeas and green peas on a bed of basmati rice. This is a fun and easy dish to make, super flavorful and light enough for the late spring.

Guests?

Going with people I know. And since there are only six of us, two of the places are already taken up by me and The Boyfriend. The other four:

My friend Laura, who I haven't seen in ages. She's a gifted vocalist/guitarist. 

My work wife, best bud, Melissa, who I haven't seen in over a year.

Our gaming friends, Chris and Carol. Carol is a social worker who is also an animal rights activist/volunteer. Her house is filled with small creatures. She fosters bunnies and Guinea pigs. Chris is an engineer. They're very interesting.

What are you wearing?

It is late spring, but I am not wearing shorts. Blue jeans and a cotton tee for me. I like clothing that breathes and in social situations, that comes in handy. I am going to wear a pair of deck shoes that I bought for my trip to Cancun. They are so lightweight, but also offer a lot of support. 

What are your guests wearing?

Again, causal. We don't have a theme. I simply want people to relax. 

Music in the background: 

It will be a mix of Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Sade and Chaka Khan.

Entertainment?

After dinner and during dessert, Laura and I (and The Boyfriend if he can be convinced) will offer up some homemade tunes. 

For fun, I've learned three songs which Laura typically includes in her sets. We'll see how it goes and she can sing harmony when I play. The Boyfriend has a beautiful voice, but rarely shares it. last New Year's Eve, he surprised me by singing Matt Alber's Velvet Goldmine.

Laura will bring her guitar and I have an electric keyboard I'll have set up on the patio. 

A little outdoor songfest. We won't play long. I know how to read a crowd. 

Dessert is raspberry sorbet and a pink sugar wafer. I don't know why, but those fake cookies always put a smile on my face.

--- ---

Well, that's it for me. I kept it simple, but you don't have to; let your imaginations run wild. Or stay true to reality. Your call. 

Leave your answers in the comments section or share them on your blog and post a link here. I'd love to hear your plans for the perfect evening. 

Hope you enjoyed this. Perhaps it has inspired you? Something to plan post-Covid?  Hmm?

Hey, thanks for reading. 

Dinner At Eight - Rufus Wainwright














































































































Garden Party - Rick Nelson

7 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

OMG Rick Nelson! Whoa.
Now on to the party: I enjoyed so much reading your description that I forgot to take notes! LOL
I would cater cause I can't cook to save my life (Whole Foods helped me once when I threw a tiny dinner party to celebrate my colleague's tenure) and it would be at my place (you know how it looks). We would probably drink some wine and listen to music. I have never been one for formalities...
And now I need to know more about your collections! OMG Upton. I would sit with you and kiki for HOURS!

XOXo

Jimmy said...

"A dream dinner party"....It would be in December and I would rent out 'Blue Moon Fish Co.'. there would be an open bar on the dock.The theme would be "Last years clothes". The tables would be basic white, no fru fru. The party could order from the menu-anything goes. I like to be around people who live passionate lives. Intense people.An old friend Cookie (we first met in court).lolol Olaf, he is always good about talking horses. Wadi Sali, a clairvoyant from the Duke psychic research facility and Shirley and John (lots of heat there). I would be wearing linen. I love linen clothes even though they do wrinkle. I don't care what people wear. Who needs entertainment with this group? We are the entertainment!

Bob said...

Where and when would this be happening?
I think May. When we first moved to Smallville and began meeting people Carlos talked of having a Cinco de Mayo party at our home. Trouble is, he only “talked” and so the party never came to be. The following year I said we were having it, but because of Carlos suggesting it talking of it, and then forgetting it, I dubbed it Cinco de Never, as in it seemed like we were never going to have it.
But we did and have had one every year since … except 2020 and 2021. But next year? It’s ‘Never’ again!
Describe how the evening progresses?

Full bar because I need my drinks; lots of wine; and a delicious Hibiscus Sangria made with dry white wine, fruit juices, brandy and triple sec; looks nice, knocks you on your but. Also, Bob-a-Ritas [my special Margarita creation named after moi] by the pitcher.
We’d be outside on the upper and lower decks, or wandering through the yard, or for those who hate the outdoors, in the sunroom, windows fully open.
Dinner is all made from scratch my Carlos and me; Spicy Shrimp Ceviche; Pinto Bean & Corn Salad; carne asada; Green Rice; Corn Masa Boats with Chorizo; Grilled Flank Steak with Flour Tortillas and Chimchurri; Chicken and Chiles with Tortillas and Chicken and Pork Tamales; refried beans; arroz con pollo; guacamole; nopales.
Desert is mini cheesecakes made by Carlos and flan, made by the two of us, and served outside with conversation and music and just good times.
Theme?
Well, clearly, Mexico and Cinco de Mayo! Casual and fun and relaxing.
Dining room décor/place settings description?
We’d use the dining table, fully extended, it seats twelve, as a buffet, so all that food has a place to sit. Drinks are on the island in the kitchen and appetizers on the kitchen table. It’s buffet style; pick a plate, pick your silver, pick your drink, your food and a place to sit.
Food / Beverages?
Oops, again I got ahead of myself and already shared that!
Guests?
We’ve had as many as fifty at Cinco de Never and as few as twenty; but it’s always a good crowd, good food, drink, music, and fun.
What are you wearing?
Shorts and a fun colorful shirt! Probably barefoot because it’s my house and that’s how I roll.
What are your guests wearing?
Probably the same, though they might keep their shoes on, though that isn’t a rule!
Music in the background:
Classical, Mexican, Pop on a rotation, both inside and out.

Entertainment?
Carlos will no doubt play the trumpet; someone will have a guitar; Neal will sing.

Thanks for this. It’ll be two years in a row we’ve not done this because of COVID, and this makes me wanna do it big time in 2022!

whkattk said...

Oh, gosh.... It would be casual dress, but everything else would fancy as I could get it. A Saturday evening, in late May. Cocktails out by the pool. Guests: Barbra Streisand and Jim Brolin; Secretary of Transportation Pete and husband Chasten. That's it. Dinner would be served in the dining room by a staff but I'd do the cooking. Then it would be coffee and desert. Then back out to the pool for cocktails and more excellent, stimulating conversation.

Mistress Maddie said...

Where and when would this be happening? My place maybe in the summer.

Describe how the evening progresses? With me it's always a laid back affair, light whore- derves and copious amounts of wine or cocktails.

Theme? I don't do themes really except for new Years eve. If I host, it's always bow tie and jacket dress up night, or black tie. Its fun and everyone looks so dashing. Most are nude by 3am anyway.

Guests? My very close inner sanctum of 8 friends.

What are your guests wearing? People can usually wear what they want. Most always look fashionable and nice. Jeans, shorts, polos, tees, button downs un buttoned, campy whatever they want.

Music in the background: ALWAYS! With me it's either jazz, lounge, or old sounding swingers and singers for the 30-50's.For dinner anyway. If I host just cocktails, then dance music.

Entertainment? Honey... Im usually it!

Now Ill await your invitation for your event !!!



SickoRicko said...

I avoid dinner parties if possible.

Xersex said...

I'm like Rick!