Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 01, 2021

Weekend Onesie: A Year of Dancing With Myself

Weekend Onesie:
A Year of Dancing With Myself

Last Thursday I celebrated a bit of a milestone; it's been a full year since I returned to the blogsphere. 

This would never have occurred without the Covid pandemic and all the necessary changes to our day-to-day lives. While it can hardly be viewed as a half glass full scenario, reconnecting with the part of me that enjoys writing and the wonderful people that populate the blogsphere is something I am grateful for. 

Yes. In this day and age? We need to take our 'wins' where we can find them.

It took me a month to regain my footing, but once I got my programming down, blogging became something I found challenging and enjoyable again. I think I've found a nice balance between offering something informationally substantial, while keeping it fun; an accurate reflection of who I am at this point in my life. 

All the posts have not been 'winners', but meeting a self-imposed deadline, the constant editing (even after posting), playing with language, and coming up with content have provided me with endless hours of self-entertainment. And I have surprised myself; I had no idea I still had this kind of discipline and moxie.

Has it become a bit stale? Perhaps. 

The purposeful programming dictates the content - it sometimes feels a bit regimented - and I must admit, I'm aware of the occasional drop in quality. But that standardization is also an aspect of what's kept this a constant challenge. 

In the future, I may shift gears (I had no idea how much classic gay pulp fiction was published in the 1960's and 70's!) and some change is inevitable; we are all in the process of picking up the pieces of our old way of life. Just this week my workplace announced a date when we will be returning to the office and this summer, the prairie calls. But for now? I plan on carrying on as is. 

I want to say thank you to all those who follow the blog. You are part of the reason I keep writing. The fact that you clicked that little follow button acts as a vote of confidence which I greatly appreciate.

And please forgive me if this all sounds a bit too self-referential and egotistical. Because it certainly has not been all about me...

The real treasure in all of this? My fellow bloggers. 

You only need look to the right side of my blog and find the list of those who have served as inspiration, fine examples, and support during the relaunch of Wonderland Burlesque. I adore reading these blogs on a daily basis and thank them for putting up with my non-stop, unfiltered commentary. 

There's a true community to be found here; a real connection. It has rather redefined the term 'friendship' for me. I frequently bemoan the fact that as I've gotten older, I've no friends, but that's not true. 

Though you are all people I have never met, I still consider you friends. You have all shared so much over the year and have been a huge source of comfort and support during this pandemic, as well as sharing the pain we experienced during the orange ogre's final year in office, the trepidation experienced during the 2020 election, the fear felt during the insurrection on Jan 6th, and our combined outrage surrounding the death of George Floyd.

We've cheered one another on. Battled the same dragons. Wished each other well. Decried the same injustices. And celebrated each small victory. 

So, the title of this Weekend Onesie is a bit of a misrepresentation; for I have not been dancing with myself...

I've gotten to dance with all of you.

--- ---

Thank you all. 
A year has passed and this song is over, but...
Let's... keep on dancing.
- uptonking from Wonderland Burlesque

Is That All There Is? - Peggy Lee

8 comments:

Jimmy said...

You are loved.

anne marie in philly said...

and I'm glad you returned! SMOOCHES!

Bob said...

I didn't know you returned to blogging, I thought you'd been here all along and I just found you through Sixpense.
But I'm glad I did!
xoxo

Mistress Maddie said...

You have no idea how delighted I was when I saw your updates entry. I always looked forward to your blog all these years.

SickoRicko said...

What a terrific post! You really are creative and expressive. I love that Peggy Lee song!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

There's at least a sliver of a silver lining in every cloud, and making new blogfriends isn't so much a sliver as a massive slice!
I'm a relative newcomer here - "introduced" via Mistress Maddie (who else gets around as much as She? - so haven't been around as long as many others, but very much enjoy your slice of the 'Sphere.

FelchingPisser said...

Congrats. Always a good read...

Deliciousdeity said...

Bravo! Bravissimo!