Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Dusty Springfield

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Dusty Springfield

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to what can only be described as...The True Divas. These are ones who may do many things in life, but from the moment they opened their mouths to sing they became the one thing they were meant to become: a true diva.

One such soul?

Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien...

Dusty Springfield.

A good Catholic girl with a voice for and of the ages. Universal, it has touched all who've heard it. 

She summons it forth like a ghost from a wishing well; reverberating like a torch when first lit.

Her time on this earth, celebrated. 

But, as revered as she was for her vocals, she also served a higher purpose. 

She put a popular face to those people who had formerly lived only in the shadows. 

The first celebrity gay wedding? 1983, in Canada. The marriage didn't last, but the statement made did. 

Fickle in love. Prone to drink. In and out of fashion, but... 

...always a legend. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, her are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Sexuality

"A lot of people say I’m bent and I’ve heard it so many times I’ve almost learned to accept it ... I couldn’t stand to be thought of as a big butch lady. But I know I’m as perfectly capable of being swayed by a girl as by a boy. More and more people feel that way and I don’t see why I shouldn’t."

"My sexuality has never been a problem to me but I think it has been for other people. I have tried sex with both men and women. I found I liked it. Sometimes the ladies involved give too much of themselves, sometimes not enough." 


"I burp like everyone else and I'm promiscuous. My affections are easily swayed and I can be very unfaithful." 

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Dusty Springfield

Son of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield

What Have I Done To Deserve This - 
Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield

And one more parting shot...

"Basically I'm a drag queen myself. I used so much hairspray that I feel personally responsible for global warming!"

3 comments:

SickoRicko said...

I had no idea!

Mistress Maddie said...

One of my favorites!!!!! I can't get enough of Dusty...like ever.

Cali-Boi said...

The Pet Shop Boys with Dusty gave me chills. Excellent.