Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 05, 2021

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Sophie Ellis-Bextor

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing festooned with disco balls, strobes and a pulsing dancefloor. Here reign the Divas of the Dancefloor; a rare cultural phenomena somewhat confined to the clubs. Their siren calls beckon you forth, bewitching you with soulful sounds and inspirational words, causing your body to gyrate as if taken by a spirit. Theirs is the world of house - and by house, I mean, these ladies know how to take you to church, son. With their voices we soar and are liberated from gravity's and reality's pull. One such diva?

Sophie Ellis-Bextor

She trills to thrill. Like a bird, this one sings!

One of my very favorite disco dollies!

Such style. Such poise. A disco princess for the ages.

This saucy little minx has been dazzling those on the dance floor since 2000. With the help of DJ Spiller, she brought alive the bright shiny promise of the millennium, keeping our toes tapping and our hearts alight. 

Delivering on her abundant potential, she then gave us an international sensation in the form of Murder On The Dancefloor. Yes, killed it, the lady did!

The Freemasons heard her plea and offered much support in the form of Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer), which once again had us tripping the light fantastic beneath the glow of shiny disco balls.

To this day, she manages to intrigue and delight. If it's not her music, it's her stunning looks keeping us entranced.  

Her latest, a bright bubble of pop fun called While We're Still Young reminds us all that even though the years trudge on, the spirit of dance and the joy of life live in our hearts untouched by time - so like the lady herself!

The gospel according to her?

Here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The Topic: Her 'Look'


"I'm happy that I have a look, but I don't over-analyze whether or not it's beautiful or ugly. I don't know why people think I'm polished - I often leave the house with buttons missing and ladders in my tights. For every person that says I'm the new Audrey Hepburn, someone else says that I look like an alien. Everybody remembers Robbie Williams said I had a face like a satellite dish."


"In terms of influence, my style icons have been a mixture of Julie Andrews and Olivia Newton-John. When I was little I used to watch 'Grease,' 'Mary Poppins' and 'The Sound of Music' a lot. If you put all those things together you do kind of get my outfits. A slightly tarty nanny in a second-hand outfit. That is pretty much what I wear. I love getting dressed up. Being a pop star is the most brilliant job for that. A lot of girls love shopping, but they might see the most amazing outfit and think, 'When am I going to wear that?', so it's my duty to exploit the fact I do have events I can wear these things to." 


"I'm really interested in fashion but at the same time I find it quite competitive. Second-hand stuff leaves you more open to whatever your own personal style is rather than feeling dictated to by shops. I've got a thing for footwear; I have about 200 pairs of shoes from all over the world. Not all my shoes are designer. In terms of clothes, everything is on the same level for me. If I like it, it doesn't matter if it cost £200 or £2. I'm attracted to things rather than labels. I try not to wear anything I have to fidget with - there's nothing worse than wearing something and pulling down the hem and re-adjusting the top. My pet hate is when girls wear those strapless dresses and spend the whole night yanking them up."
 
Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) - DJ Spiller 
feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Murder On The Dancefloor - Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Crying At The Discotheque - Sophie Ellis-Bextor

And one parting shot...

"I've got quite a curvy shape so I try to wear stuff that's tailored. I used to be hung up on my figure, but it's a waste of time. I don't believe in diets. Have four pints one night, be healthy the next."

3 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I love Sophie Ellis-Bextor! theaudience was never on my radar, but I've been a big fan ever since Groovejet. She always looks fantastic - her style obviously works well for her - and she always comes across as genuinely nice, someone who I'd like to spend time with.
As well as the disco-themed music, I really enjoy her later, quieter, almost folk music - the albums Wanderlust ("13 Little Dolls" & "Love Is A Camera" are my favourites on this album) and Familia ("Cassandra" & "My Puppet Heart" on this one). I'm going to have to have a Sophie E-B music day, I think!

SickoRicko said...

Don't know her.

Deliciousdeity said...

Saucy little minx Hahaha. Love it. Your writing is as upbeat and fun as her videos! Her voice reminds me a bit of Dido, that hint of accent coming through. What a fun piece, and a nice introduction, like SickoRicko she is unknown to me, but then I rarely get out these days ..