Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Leann Rimes

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Leann Rimes

In my big gay church, there are many, many wings. One is dedicated to those referred to as Forever Our Girls. They are the girls next door. The ones who seemed accessible, real and a part of every day life while stealing our hearts with their girlish charms. And they did it all wrapped up in the trappings of whatever was topping the charts at the time. Sounds changed. Styles came and went, but the one thing that remained constant? Their voice.

One such hometown girl?

Leann Rimes

She came on the scene at age 13, channeling a bit of Patsy Cline and singing songs beyond her years. 

Growing up in the public eye, she earned a place on the pop and country charts as she sought to musically define herself.  Accompanying her on that journey? Her voice; bigger than the skies above Nashville.

She grew up. She married, fell in love with someone else, divorced and then married again.

That didn't set well with the country music establishment, despite it being founded on songs about loving, cheating and divorcing. Seems what's alright for some? Was not right, in their eyes, for Leann Rimes. 

They turned their back on her.

She weathered the storm and came out the other side more determined, more defined, more... her own woman - and as talented as ever.

She's become a great friend of the gay community, taking up such causes as The Trevor Project's Trevor Live, which provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning young people.

And in 2017 she sang Love Is Love Is Love, which topped the Club Play chart and became a gay anthem. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips. 

The topic? Her (Side Of The) Story

"The world when I was 13 wasn't truly driven by tabloid magazines and social media and reality shows. I was able to have a little more of a private life.  I've grown up in the press my entire life."

"I refuse to discuss tabloid rumors. I'm not gonna apologize for who I am and what I've gone through. I don't earn my money from trying to hurt people or get in the tabloids. I have a talent, I can sing." 

"People are so quick to judge and make decisions for themselves about situations they know absolutely nothing about."

"Just because someone can sit behind a computer screen and have a different name and hide themselves, they feel like they can do anything to anyone. Online bullying has to stop."

"What people don't understand is that it wasn't about Dean or Eddie, it was about whether or not I was in the right place.

I never, ever in my heart want to hurt anyone. My relationship with Dean was great, but ultimately it wasn't a fulfilling marriage for either of us. You can't break what's broken already.

Eddie and I are overwhelmed by the amount of lovely well wishes. We are blessed and.... I'm Mrs. Cibrian!"
 
Blue - Leann Rimes

Can't Fight The Moonlight - Leann Rimes

I Do - Aloe Blacc With Leann Rimes

And one more parting shot...

Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I see a child, then I look and see a woman who should be turning 60.

1 comment:

Mistress Maddie said...

I have been a so-so fan. I was never a huge follower of hers but never disliked her. A favorite of mine, and a turning with her with the gays' was when when a dj grab on to her Tick Tock song, remixed and dropped it like it was hot as hell...and it was! She had then gays from there.

Many think she wrecked Eddie Cibrian's home and marriage. I don't think from then on, either of them were ever given a chance in Hollywood and Nashville again. And not sure why, 3/4 of them do it. But I feel it's hard to wreak a home if something is not already off.