Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Lena Horne

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Lena Horne

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to what can only be described as...The True Divas. These are ones that may do many things in life, but from the moment they opened their mouths to sing they became the one thing they were meant to become: a true diva.

One such woman?

Lena Horne.

The Bronze Venus.

She broke so many barriers during her lifetime.

Hers is a story worth getting acquainted with.

A leader in civil rights, it took her a long time to recover from the brainwashing of white Hollywood. 

But she had great mentors. She listened. She learned.

She got angry. She got over.

The epitome of class, the lady has always conducted herself in a manner most regal.

Such beauty. Such grace. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Civil Rights and Freedom

"I was lucky, as many of my generation was, in having a man like Dr. King in our lives. He came at a time that we needed to take a long look at each other and see how similar we were. Every color I can think of and nationality, we were all touched by Dr. King because he made us like each other and respect each other."

"I remember the day Dr. King died. I wasn't angry at the beginning. It was like something very personal in my life had been touched and finished. After I got over the terrible pain of having something of mine taken from me, I began to think how bad everybody else must be feeling. It wasn't a nice time."

"Malcolm X raised my consciousness about myself and my people and other people more than any person I know. I knew him before he became Malcolm X."

"Malcolm X made me very strong at a time I needed to understand what I was angry about. He had peace in his heart. He exerted a big influence on me."

"My identity is very clear to me now, I am a black woman."

"I'm not alone, I'm free. I no longer have to be a credit, I don't have to be a symbol to anybody; I don't have to be a first to anybody."

"I don't have to be an imitation of a white woman that Hollywood sort of hoped I'd become. I'm me, and I'm like nobody else."

Stormy Weather - Lena Horne

Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man - Lena Horne

If You Believe - Lena Horne

And one more parting shot...

"You have to be taught to be second class; you're not born that way."

3 comments:

todd gunther said...

I read her memoir which was published at the middle of her remarkable life. She could very easily have written another volume for her life after 1965. As far as i know nothing else was ever published.

Deliciousdeity said...

"Since he went away the blues walked in and met me
If he stays away old rockin' chair will get me .."

And Cab Calloway conducting? Pure perfection.

SickoRicko said...

Beautiful amazing woman.