Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 15, 2023

Acquired Tastes XLIII: Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 147 Adam's Gay Readers: Part 4 of 10

Acquired Tastes XLIII:
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 147
Adam's Gay Readers: Part 4 of 10

This week we continue our ten-part series of posts dedicated to Adam's Gay Reader's.

Adam's Gay Reader's were released under the Surey Books banner, and published from 1983-1991. Whether this imprint is related to other Surrey publications remains to be seen.

The books were distributed by Star Distributors, which operated out of a P.O. Box  (P.O. Box 36) at the Canal Street Station in New York City, NY.  

A total of 155 titles were published, all featuring distinctively soft, but gay-erotic illustrations, all in a watercolor-like style.

Described by The Book Merchant Jenkins as:

"One of the many gay erotic pulp novels produced in the mid to late 20th century. These short sexually explicit stories, many of which were formulaic and published in easily recognizable series with graphically illustrated covers and titillating titles each targeting a specific sexual niche, demonstrate the breadth of sexual fantasy, occupation, desire, and deviance of the emerging homosexual culture."

 And... so far, that's all I have learned about this imprint. If you have any info, leave it in the comments section or contact me via blogger.

This week: I found 11 out of 15 covers.

--- ---

Insatiable
Author: Carl Enders
1986
AGR-146

I once had a costume designer from The Guthrie do exactly what's pictured. I didn't know whether to be flattered or annoyed. The uninvited grasping of one's genitalia? Well, that wouldn't fly in the age of #MeToo, but back then, what did I know?

Well, there's getting fitted and... getting 'fitted', am I right?

Oh, look... it's 1986.


--- ---

Tricks or Treats \
 Author: J.W. Schooter
1986
AGR-147

Finally! A holiday-themed book. Oh, there has been at least one Xmas-related book mentioned as part of  this genre... but obviously, this is a sub-genre that has not been fully plumbed. 

This one appears to present the story of a skeleton who is about to get boned! Though based on the buns on Nureyev there, I think he's the likelier candidate when it comes to getting 'treated'. Great cover.


--- ---

Canterbury Tails
 Author: Bjorn Peters
1986
AGR-148

That font and typeset on the titles... floating at that odd angle in a sea of white? Kind of cheap looking, no? Not cheap looking, the fine color work on these covers.

And did someone mention cheap? Because those denim daisy dukes on construction work numero uno are about as white trash as a pair of bull nuts hanging from the trailer hitch of an F10 truck. I do believe he's about to offer a meal alternative which packs plenty of protein. Yes, stow the hoagie, son. He's about to show you what that pie hole was made for.


--- ---

Body Boy
Author: Michael Scott
1987
AGR-149

And now? It's 1987. 

It's a very special year for yours truly because it's the year I came out and... started working out! Yes, we were past the whole Jane Fonda work out / Perfect phase. Lifting weights were in and while I have never been a gym bunny, I have been incredibly consistent about doing some type of work out, typically lifting weights at home. 

The only issue with doing that - and the main reason I think so many gays belong to gyms - is that you rob yourself of the opportunity to show off your workmanship in a shared shower. Yes... all eyes on me! We didn't work up a sweat for nothing. And speaking of eyes... it appears our two hunky work out partners only have eyes for each other. Talk about 'spotting' someone!

Available as a downloadable PDF or ebook at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Off Campus Housing
Author: Mark Andrews
1987
AGR-150

The first time I went away to college, my mother set me up to sleep in the basement of this older woman who rented cots to young men. There were to be four of us. One shared bathroom. No privacy. It was set up like a hospital ward or an army tent. No kitchen privileges, just plenty of rules - like no alcohol, no smoking, no visitors, and a curfew - 10:00 pm sharp. 

I initially agreed because... I was a stupid kid. Fortunately, I met a student a year older than me during summerstock who happened to be going to the same college as I was in the fall. He was looking for a roommate to split expenses on an off-campus apartment. Because I grew up an awful lot that summer - I jumped at the opportunity, leaving that older lady in the lurch - man, was she pissed. But... I stood my ground. 

In a way, it was unfortunate. I did really well my first quarter, but quickly fell in with the theatre clique and lost my scholastic focus; unless the class was about literature, writing, or theatre? I had a tendency to show up on the first day of class, the day of the midterm and the day of the final. I passed so many classes doing just that... I'm sure if I'd lived in that lady's basement with the 10 pm curfew I would have actually attended classes and applied myself. Also, who knows? Four dudes living together in a crappy basement? You stay up talking one night? Somebody starts talking about sex... and, who knows? Maybe my first year at school would have looked a little bit like what's pictured on the cover of this book.  

--- ---

Travelin' Sex Crew
Author: George Kiva
1987
AGR-151

This is a rather generic cover for a rather intriguing title. I, for one, would love to learn all about what it means to be part of a 'sex crew'. I have no idea... and, based on this illustration, neither did our dear illustrator. Though, actually, he did a great job capturing the physical mechanics involved.

Available as a downloadable PDF or ebook at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Dorm Dicks
Author: Dick Fourme
1987
AGR-152

Hee, hee. Dick Fourme. Dick for me. Get it?

You do? On a regular basis?

--- ---

Finnish Sauna Studs
Author: Dirk Van Damm
1987
AGR-153

This description was found on GoodReads: "When record producer Grant Mackay travels to Helsinki to set up recording sessions, his primary concern is completing the project on schedule. But distractions arise, in the form of some extremely attractive Scandinavian men. Grant has left his lover back home. While 'on the road', the temptation to stray becomes too much for Grant to resist. Especially when some oversexed musicians want to perform for him, and with him, in private. There's plenty of heat, and things get steamy, both inside the sauna and out of it."

Oh, those Scandinavians sure do know how to sauna!

Available on Amazon as a downloadable kindle version (but not with the original cover.)

--- ---

Babes In The Woods
Author: Mark Andrews
1987
AGR-154

Let's hope for the sake of these babes in the woods that tube on the table is K-Y Jelly and not airplane glue. Is this a story of young interns putting in long hours at the hospital and sleeping on the premises? That sure looks like one of those tables that hover over a hospital bed. And other than a drug store, I can't think of a place with more K-Y on hand. Perhaps one of our young future doctors was demonstrating the particularly effective technique he uses when performing an anal exams?

--- ---

The Chicken Hole
Author: Ward Michaels
1987
AGR-155

My stars, those buns are more globular than anything found in nature. Peel that speedo down at your own risk. Something tells me that our young coach is about to get sucked into a 'chicken' hole. And from the knowing look on our would-be bottom, I'm thinking he knows exactly what... and who, is coming!  

Available as a downloadable PDF or ebook at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

After Getting Randy
Author: Caleb Warren
1987
AGR-156 

This is a sequel to AGR-144, Getting Randy.

--- ---

Body Guard
Author: Michael Scott
1987
AGR-157

So, this is where they got the idea for that Whitney Houston movie!

Did you know that film was in development long before Houston recorded her first note? It was originally in the works back in the 1970's with Diana Ross and Ryan O'Neal tied to the project!

An all gay version? Let's see. How about our own Miss Maddie as the superstar performer and Omari Hardwick as the titular character? Woo! Is it just me? Or did it just get hot in here?

If I starred in it? My body guard would probably be Don Knotts.

It's okay... I actually find him hot. 

--- ---

Notell Motel Act IV
Author: Ace
1987
AGR-158

So, there are very few franchises in vintage gay pulp fiction history. Oh, there were a few back in the days of Greenleaf publications - The Man From C.A.M.P. series springs to mind, along with a few others. The Notell Motel series actually started out as part of the HIS69 imprint, but, along with their author, ACE, jumped ship for this imprint. 

And as for the first book in the series? It's credited to Ed Koch. 

Available as a downloadable PDF or ebook at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

More Than Friends
Author: Jon Hartley
1987
AGR-159

Do you know the number of books which share this exact title? I don't, because after checking out dozens and dozens of them, I gave up looking for this cover.

--- ---

Bad Dude
Author: Bill Cozad
1987 
AGR-160

This title is credited to Bill Cozad, who I believe also wrote under the names Will and Willaim Cozad. 

This cover features more mystery items on top of that open dresser in the foreground. It's anyone guess. K-Y Jelly and some old-time poppers? A bottle of sleeping pills and a suicide note? 

The term drama queen does exist for good reason.  

--- ---

And that's all for now.

But don't worry, there's more Adam's Gay Reader's to come!

Until then...

Thanks for reading!

Insatiable - Darren Hayes

3 comments:

whkattk said...

I like that this imprint was more forward. But I guess culture had changed a bit by that time.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

First things first: DARREN HAYES!!! OMG love! Savage Garden *faints*.
Now, on to those stories and the covers: Yes, please! The Chicken Hole and Bad Dude? Hawt.

XOXO

Deliciousdeity said...

HAHAHAHA. OMG check out Knotts as Robert Petroli, brain surgeon :) I think it's from The Steve Allen Show, a Man-in-the-Street sketch. 'Don Knotts beats heat', Youtube.