Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Gloria Estefan

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Gloria Estefan

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to what can only be described as...The True Divas. These are ones that may do many things in life, but from the moment they opened their mouths to sing they became the one thing they were meant to become: a true diva.

One such graceful, gifted soul?

Gloria Estefan.

Such grace. A study in restraint. Beautiful tone. Perfect timbre. 

Butter melts.

She's had an amazing career. And managed to maintain the kind of life balance the envy of many.

Level-headed? Practical. Smart.

Her life flowed with the kind of ease we all wished to experience. 

And then, a tragic accident. It gave her pause, but she moved on. She got over.

Throughout it all several things remained her main focus - family, cultural heritage, and musical integrity. She never took any of them lightly. 

And that is why she's been rewarded so. 

She's lived an authentic life. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Strength In Difficult Times


"There are so many difficult things we're living through in the world today, so many horrible events, but we cannot let them stop us. No matter what happens, I feel you must move forward with optimism and not get totally sideswiped."

"In this life, I'm always going to choose the positive."


"There are so many beautiful things that are a part of the world, and I've always looked at life that way; I've always tried to put on a smile and a brave front, not just for my kids but in my own life and all the difficulties that I've gone through."
 
"Having felt people's love and support first hand through difficult moments in my life makes me feel it's our responsibility to help one another."

"If there's ever been a dark moment in my life... well, I wanted to check out. Music was a big escape."


 "My mom was a source of strength. She showed me by example that women, regardless of how difficult life may get, can do it all."

"I'm very comfortable in my own skin now. I started just being myself more and more. For women, this happens as you get older. I loved my 40's - I thought they were fantastic. And I'm loving my 50's. I'm going to love everything because you're either older or dead!"

The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You - Gloria Estefan 
and The Miami Sound Machine

Here We Are - Gloria Estefan

Coming Out Of The Dark - Gloria Estefan

And one last parting shot...

"I'm careful what I put out there into the universe, musically. I don't take it lightly."
 
"Everything that an artist does is a risk. Some people want you to stay the same. If you want to evolve, they want to keep you in a certain place."

"I know that people think of me in terms of Latin music and that's wonderful, that's my heritage, that's who I am, but there's so much more to me and my music."
 
"All I tell artists is, 'Do what you love. Never let anybody talk you into changing what your musical idea is just to try to get a hit, because you're chasing your tail that way. It's not going to happen, and if you're successful, you have to do it the rest of your life. Stay true to it and do it for the sake of the art.'"

"What's the point if you make something that's not you, and you're successful? You have to perform it the rest of your life."

2 comments:

Bob said...

True story; I was never much of a fan, but then one night I had a dream I was a roadie for her tour and I woke up the next morning loving her music.

She was right when she sang, "the music is gonna get you."

Anonymous said...

Nothing against Gloria but I was hoping to see naked men!
Denis