Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Shirley Manson

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Shirley Manson

In my own personal big gay church there is a wing dedicated to those who are one of a kind divas; individuals who have remained just that - an individual, no matter their circumstances. They are 'The Rebels'. One such soul?

Shirley Manson

How does a girl from Scotland end up fronting a band with three Wisconsin cheeseheads. That's just the kind of happenstance that's graced Manson's life. 

She'd never written a song before meeting the fellas and initially? It was a no-go.

But their differences drew them together and the rest is music history.

They've had their ups and downs, stood together, stood apart - though they never remained so for long.

Tenacious. Bristling with energy. Electric and eclectic. 

Manson has, at the very most, paid lip service to the demands of the industry, at times, openly defying them.  She's not the sort to stand there, look pretty and sing and refuses to be declawed or defanged.

She's her own drummer, marching to a beat only she can hear, although her bandmates certainly seem supportive and very tuned into it. 

Her take on pop/rock, one of a kind. 

The group's 2021 release? More overtly political and socially conscious than every before, they speak their minds as only true veterans can.  

The gospel according to her?

Well, here's three from the hip, dropping from their lips.

The topic? Being In A Band

"I'd never imagined myself in a band. So the fact that I've had such a long career without really naturally pursuing it is really astounding. It's taken me a long time to accept what I do for a living and actually feel like I have anything of value to add to the equation."

"I am laughably aggressive, and the rest of the band is very laid back, so we mix well. At the end of the day, though, the band members have to be strong. It's down to the individuals in the unit. Listen to me, I'm talking like I'm in the army and this is my squadron."

"And then there's all these other creeps that surround your band and suck off you like leeches and try to manipulate you and your business. You have to watch like a hawk. I'm always ready to fight. I see it very much as a battle. You have to watch all sides of your advancement, you have to make sure people's bodies and minds are healthy and their morale is cool before you can really go out and play great music."

Stupid Girl - Garbage

Bleed Like Me - Garbage

The Men Who Rule The World - Garbage

And one last parting shot...

"In terms of fitting in, you know, I don't have a lot of armor up. I'm a raw nerve and it's really uncomfortable for a lot of people. I have a temper on me that could hold back tides. I mean, I tend to do my own thing, and that usually crosses purposes with everyone around me."


--- ---















2 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

Now you know I love me some Shirley Manson...her music and her style.

She slap the shit out of you and ask questions later.

BatRedneck said...

Their music and the way she sings are haunting. Their albums - at least a couple of them - would surely be part of the things I'd pack up and take with me to cross the Styx :-)