Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Wonderland Burlesque's 'The Big Interview' Quiz - Part Three

Wonderland Burlesque's
'The Big Interview' Quiz
Part Three

We are done with the arts. Today, we're moving on to the other areas of life. And you know what I've learned? That, for this particular sort of quiz, twelve questions are simply too much, so I am going to break this section into three parts - with only five per quiz. Why? Because sometimes less is more. Twelve such questions felt overwhelming. My bad. I learned. 

But that is the only thing that has changed...

Imagine if you were a television, radio or newspaper reporter and it was your job to conduct interviews with people you either admire intensely or from whom you would like to demand answers.

That's the fantasy that fuels today's quiz. I want to know whom you would like to interview, and just as importantly, what is it you want to know. What's the burning issue? What's that one question you're dying to get the answer to?

Explain your reasons for picking the individual. What is it about them that intrigues you? Approach this as if they have to answer the questions you ask them! They have no choice. They have to answer and answer honestly. And they can't walk out on you.

Let's begin! Here are the next five:.

An American Politician

So, this was tough. I don't want to talk to any of them. I think they're a den of thieves. Liars. People who have sold their souls. Even the good ones... the ones on the right side of things. 

But there is one man that sprang to mind, that I would love to talk to.

Jimmy Carter. 

He was the last politician whom I believe was involved for all the right reasons. He was there to serve. To be of service. He wanted nothing for himself. He simply wanted what was best for all of us. 

Of course, he was a fish out of water. He didn't understand how Washington D.C. worked or how underhanded the opposition plays. He thought that by simply asking everyone to work together for the betterment of the country, they would. But he was dealing with a lot of people who would rather burn the whole thing down before compromising.  

I want him to tell me, honestly, what he thinks of our current situation. Where's the hope? How do we fix it? 

And I'm telling him right up front that 'prayer' is not a solution and that religion in politics is one of the reasons we're in the mess we're in. So peddle that elsewhere. Wishful thinking isn't going to cut it. 

I want to know if he feels that America, as my generation grew up believing it to be - is over. Gone. Something that cannot be resuscitated. 

What does he see taking its place? 

And then I want him to share what he believes is the one thing or area we can concentrate on in order to right this damaged ship. 

I believe he's a wise man. I think he's seen it all. I feel he's capable of analyzing it all in a fair manner. So, I would like to know what he honestly sees as our future as a nation.

An International Political Figure

I also struggled with this. 

I want to confront the true a-holes, but what a waste of time that would be. People like Jair Bolsonaro aren't the sort that would be swayed by reason or common sense. He doesn't even understand the value of the rainforest. How do you talk to someone like that?

How people like that ever end up in a position of power is a mystery to me. I've never understood ruthless people. They're monsters. 

And there's only one way to get rid of a monster.

Monarchies bore me. I don't see their place in this current world except as a sort of lure for gullible tourists. Other than putting their faces on gift shop merch like a thimble or a shot glass? What good are they? All they do is perpetuate the idea that some people are born into privilege and that the rest of us need to honor and respect that privilege without challenging it. Utter nonsense. 

I guess I will talk to Germany's Angela Merkel. 

She's about to leave the stage. 

I want to know what she saw when she looked at Germany as she came into office and what did she help alter? What problems remain which concern her most? What does she consider her finest moment on the political stage and her greatest failure? 

And, of course... I want to know what she thinks of America. What did she think of the orange ogre? What does she think will become of us?

She's a smart lady. I think she has a lot to share.

An Activist

I do have someone in mind. And while I share the general gist of her vision, what intrigues me most are her accounting practices. I would love to know where the money is going. But that's rather negative and now is not the time to focus on negativity.

No, I have to pick someone I believe in. 

Oh. I know. Stacey Abrams. I think the world of her and I need her to do what she did in Georgia on a national scale. I know she's just one of many responsible for the miracle in Georgia, but she's the spokesperson of that movement... the right to vote. 

I'm sure plenty have interviewed her and asked about her methods. I want to know if she has a vision, a plan to mobilize voters throughout the country. And I know the media ardently feels that legislation being put in place to limit access to voting is going to impact elections, but is that truly the case? How much of what the media is saying is valid and what can be done to in the face of such restrictions? 

If someone wants to really vote - can they be stopped?

I don't know why I think she has all the answers. That could be a media fabrication, too, huh?  

A Humanitarian

Kristine Pearson

Here's an unsung one. 
I remain a big fan of radio. Growing up, it served as an inexpensive and portable means of gaining knowledge. I still listen, usually when cleaning or cooking or as I do my morning bathroom routine. Not talk radio. Blech. Just oldies stations. For me? Radios are tiny auditory time machines.

For the people of Africa, they are something much more vital. Education and information remain a struggle in developing nations, A single radio can make a huge difference for these impoverished people. Kristine Pearson, the executive director of the FreePlay Foundation recognized radios as a means of meaningfully impacting the everyday lives of those living in poverty and isolation.

Pearson was part of a team that developed a radio which would allow villages without electricity access to the airwaves. "There are now almost 100,000 Lifeline radios committed to various humanitarian projects in developing countries, with over two million listeners."

I want to learn all about the development of this particular radio. How does it work? How did she go about finding people to make this happen? And does she have any firsthand stories regarding the impact her work has had on people's lives? What were the results? What's been learned?

A Philosopher 

Immanuel Kant

An advocate of reason as the source for morality, what distinguishes Kant is his innate desire to bridge the gap between rationalists like Descartes and empiricists like Hume. In doing so he established  a middle ground that recognized the value of human experience without leading to skepticism.
 
His 'Categorical Imperative' centers on the idea that "there are intrinsically good and moral ideas to which we all have a duty, and that rational individuals will," by default and through reasoning, feel morally obligated to do the right thing. He also advocated the belief that "the world can live peacefully by means of universal democracy and international cooperation."

Such schools of thought are one of the reasons I wish anyone seeking public office would have to pass some kind of knowledge test before running. Yes, an individual could study just to pass the test, but then they would be exposed to and have to comprehend what it is they are studying. I have a feeling people like Matt Gaetz or Marjorie Taylor Green would be incapable of passing such a test. But I would encourage them to try because then they would be exposed to actual ideas and concepts as opposed to being allowed to assume office and behave irrationally without regard to their responsibilities and the consequences of their actions. 

It's through education that people develop empathy. It's through knowledge that people develop a conscience. To serve in public office? You should have a degree of both.

My interview with Kant? It would be a puff piece. I'd want him to show me what he does in his down time. What are his hobbies? What kind of music does he enjoy? What's his favorite food? What does he consider his favorite chair?

When we think about philosophers, we frequently lose sight of the fact that they are human beings with full lives and not fountains spouting profound thought. 

It would be kind of a kick to know the last time Kant bought new underwear. 

--- ---

And that's it for me.

Okay, your turn. Leave your answers in the comments section. Explain them if you wish.

Man, this is difficult! It's like doing school work. I know it's something of a haul, but let's do this and then we'll get back to something light and fun in a couple of weeks. 

The thing is... our brains grow complacent. Because we are constantly and so easily fed so much information, we sort of stop thinking for ourselves. I think that's what I'm working through as I try to answer these 'interview' quizzes; the topics touch on things I haven't thought about for years and years. 

My head? There's a lot of cobwebs in there I never noticed until now. 

I guess a little challenge is good for us.

Thanks for reading!

The Spirit of Radio - Rush























Radio Ga Ga - Queen

4 comments:

whkattk said...

I think I could take a pass on all of those. Not my section of the paper. LOL.
But for the politician: John McCain. I want to know what he was thinking when he chose Palin. Break it down for me - all the way to brass tacks. What in the world made him think she was presidential material in any way, shape, or form?
Activist: Who was Obama's Attorney General? Yeah, him. Why is he so flipping ***nice*** when addressing the voting rights and jerrymandering issues? Come, on, dude. Why can't you show a little fire in the belly?
Humanitarian: Jimmy Carter. Because that's really what he was and is.
Philosopher? No clue.

Jimmy said...

Out of your list, I would only like to interview an Activist. That would be Ann Northrop. What a noble life she has lived.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love the vintage radios! I have two and I love them!
Ok, let's see: I'd like to interview Brian Sims. The man has been in politics for a short time, but I think he's got a good chance of becoming a great politician.
An international political figure? Macron. I'd say Trudeau, but I'd get fucking distracting plotting how to jump his bones. I like Macron's approach to things.
An activist? Greta Thumberg. She's the future.
A humanitarian? I'd rather profile the Feed the Children foundation. I don't have children, but a child in need is a tragedy.
A philosopher? Cornell West. I think he's fascinating.


XOXO

SickoRicko said...

I love all those old radios.