Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 04, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Lulu

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Lulu

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing devoted to the sainted known as The Working Girls. Typically, these women have had long, varied careers; hosting shows, acting in movies and on television, doing variety shows, Vegas and working for a cause. They are legends because they have earned it.

One such diva?

The incomparable Lulu!

David Bowie once told her she had a "fuck off" voice!

She burst on the scene as the cutest go-go boot wearing lassie every to make England swing.

And has endured these, oh, so many years, transforming herself, changing with the times and refusing to rely upon her past triumphs. 

Her sound has varied from R& B to pop to glam to new jack swing to dance-pop.

Oh, it wasn't all lights, camera, action. She chafed against a music industry which wished to cast her as  a pop songstress, when in her soul all she felt was soul. 

Middle of the road? Not this lady.

To this day, she continues to deliver, with a cheeky sense of humor, her very unique, inspiring sound. 

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Past Associations

"I’ve got stories I never could tell. I never could speak when I was very young. I always admired Americans because they had a way of being very natural and talking on stage."

"So now I’m older. I have so much experience. I’ve worked with so many legends that have inspired me. I can tell stories about that on stage."

"... I don’t remember everything. But your memory is jogged by a photograph, and sometimes, you get stuck. You know, like, looking at pictures of me and Maurice Gibb. You know, I was married to Maurice. And how lucky! Just to talk about the 60's; I could go on forever.

"With Maurice, I get a little bit emotional. With David Bowie, I get a little bit sad."

"Of course, with John Lennon, because he’s not been around for longer, there’s not so much sadness. But the heart aches a little bit."

"But then I want to turn it to the parts where it’s like... Jesus, I can’t believe I was with them! I did that, and I did that, and I did that!"

"I was in a movie that made one of the most important cultural statements in a film – and I’m talking about To Sir with Love. It’s one of the classic films of all time."

"I didn’t think about that when I was doing it. I only really thought about it when I was at Sidney Poitier’s birthday party, and Oprah Winfrey was talking about him. She was going to introduce me."

"And I listened to her talk about what an impact Sidney made in her life, and how she watched a black man get out of a big limousine. A white man opened the door. He walks out with a tuxedo and a white bowtie. He walks into the Academy Awards and wins the Academy Award."

"She said, 'I was sitting in a shack, holding the aerial, if he can do that, if Sidney can walk on and get an Oscar as a black man – what can I do?'"

"She said, 'Well, you know, I didn’t know what to get for your birthday, Sidney. But then I knew what I can give him for his birthday. Here she is. I’ve flown her in from London. It’s Lulu.' I could hardly sing, you know?"


To Sir With Love - Lulu

The Man Who Sold The World - Lulu

Independence - Lulu

And one last parting shot...

"I don't want to be left in the past. When I stand next to Kylie, Beyonce or Rihanna, I don't want to be a decrepit old lady."

"To me, feeling good about yourself as you get older is all about your attitude - if you think you're old, you'll feel old."

"I have a crush on Steve Tyler. He's funny, he rocks, and has a voice like a god. There is another one who I have discovered can sing. I should try and make an album with him... it's Barack Obama!"

No comments: