Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Weekend Onesie: Mired In The Past

Weekend Onesie
Mired In The Past

I seem to be mired in the past.

This is not a pity party, dears. Just something I happened to become aware of!

I was reading Sixpence's and Bob's blogs the other day, admiring how many responses they get. And that's when it struck me...

Their blogs are very forward thinking - they grab on to things that are happening now; they talk about them, present them, offer an opinion or a reaction.

Then I looked at my own blog... and it seems rather stuck in the past.

Old, vintage gay pulp fiction - ancient gay history.

Quizzes where my answers tend to be about things that took place thirty years ago or more.

Comparing versions of songs, most of which played on jukeboxes way back in the day.

Old, vintage movie posters and movie trivia from a bygone age.

Celebrating female singers, many of whom have shuffled off this mortal coil, most of whom have  lengthy, auspicious careers behind them.

Everything I write about is from the past... mine, someone else's, or a matter of history.

Ruminating. Stirring ashes. I'm not sure why I'm so fixated. I talk about a self who hasn't existed for decades.

I do appreciate the now. I certainly like myself better these days. And I'm generally happy. No complaints, really. 

As for the state of the world? Well, it leaves a lot to be desired, which is why I don't write about it too much because it's all so negative. I get frustrated that, other than vote, I have very little sway in any of it. 

I don't care for modern celebrities very much. It seems to me that they can't hold a candle to those of the past. The most celebrated among them? Well, it's all industry politics, social media, spin, P.R. and money, money, money. 

Does that mean all my best days are behind me?

Hardly.

And I look forward to the future; I don't fear it. I think retirement is going to be awesome. Such an adventure. I have no idea what the third act holds in store. So many possibilities. 

Just as I look forward to a future world where things may very well turn around and greatly improve. 

But, for now, I seem mired in the past. 

I assume its the comfort of knowing. 

We know what happened in the past - mostly. Others have documented it. Facts are facts. There is no uncertainty. There are no surprises. 

That, no doubt, is the appeal. 

And I talk about myself in terms of my past because that, too, is known. 

I'm still making my peace with some of it. Sometimes it's fun to reminisce. 

But it's important not to get stuck back there, where nothing can be altered. 

What this all made me think about was something an anonymous stalker used to ask me over and over again... who am I writing this for?

The answer has always been 'myself.' A little selfish, but, hey... it's a blog. 

What I write about is so narrow in focus. I just really dig the graphics. And the music. 

It's been two years and four months since I rebooted this blog. I quickly set upon a course and haven't altered it, but on occasion.

I guess we'll let it ride for now. 

But I am aware of my odd little picadillo. 

File it under 'fun from the past'...

File It Under Fun From The Past - Marianne Faithfull

6 comments:

Bob said...

I like that every blog is different and presents different ideas and responses. I mean, if we all posted the same things why bother reading, eh?

Anonymous said...

If no-one remembers the past, how to learn how not to repeat the mistakes?
and
There are no new fashions, only are unforgotten.

Sometimes you need to look beyond the now.

Mistress Maddie said...

It's nice to be current, but if no one remembers the past it's long to be forgotten. So, Mi glad someone does it. I myself am of today, but at heart I'm an old soul left over from a time ago....and most times detest this current time.

And let's hope this comment goes through. Not one comment has shown up today on any blog.

SickoRicko said...

It's not just "a" blog, it's "your" blog. You're a good writer.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

There's always so much to know and learn, and I've learned from your musings, as have many others, I'll bet.
I think that if one doesn't know the past, how can they recognise the future?

Anonymous said...

To resume:

Keep calm and continue Blogging... AS NOW!