Followers

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Weekend Onesie: Me And My Piano

Weekend Onesie: 
Me And My Piano

Why go arty and classy, when you can go slutty? Right?

I thought I'd give you all an update regarding the progress I'm (not) making in my quest to become someone who sits down and plays the piano, belts out a few songs and invites everyone to sing along.

Last time I checked in, I had 50 songs memorized. That was September 1, 2020!

Here's the original list:


(click on them to make them bigger)


Since that time? I have only added 18 songs to the repertoire.

Why so few?   

It's a little like juggling. I already had 50 balls in the air... so adding these 18? More difficult than I'd imagined. Apparently, I don't have that gift where I can instantly recall any tune I've ever heard.

Anyway, here's a list of the new additions:


Note the sudden concentration on holiday fare. I don't know. I just want to be that guy that could sit down and entertain at a party for fifteen minutes... you know, get everyone singing. Or maybe I could appear in the corners of empty shopping malls?

So, the reason for the relative slow down?

First off, there's the matter of  the memory on my hard drive - the one in my head. It apparently has limits. And it is struggling.

Secondly? Time and energy. I have been trying to play on a daily basis. At least a dozen songs per set. And I have managed to do that almost every weeknight for the past nine years. Exhausting.

And, considering I'm not much better than when I started? A bit of a spirit crusher.

And the third excuse?

Motivation.

As in... I don't really have an end game. Nothing planned. There's no date. No number of songs. No recording date. No special event. No gigs. 

So, I struggle sometimes to justify all the time and energy.

Of course, when that happens I remind myself that the main reason I'm pursuing this is to keep my memory active and sharp, hoping to ward off Alzheimer's. 

That's a pretty good motivator. 

That said, I remain a pretty awful piano player. Plod, plod, plod. Like a Clydesdale on cobblestone. 

I pity The Boyfriend, who must endure my warbling on occasion - though I do try an limit my playing when at his house. 

Recently, I gained an audience member when playing on the sun porch at The Boyfriend's house. His name is Babadook - and I will tell you all more about him next Saturday. I'm not sure he's exactly thrilled that I insist on performing for him, but let's just say he's sort of a captive audience at this juncture. 

Anyway... I enjoy it, right? I mean, the playing, the singing, the memorizing? I guess.

There's nothing like discovering I can hammer out an arrangement for a song. The learning process is painful, but I enjoy the discovery. All The Man That I Need came about because I'd written a Who Did It Better post regarding the song. Turns out four are all the chords that I need to figure out that song.

Who knew? 

And I think of adding more to the list, to keep things exciting, but... it's sort of a defeatist strategy. 

I was getting really discouraged that the past repertoire wasn't improving quality-wise. There was no consistency and tons of errors. 

And my voice? It continues to surprise me - as in - who is that singing? I still never know who is going to show up. Sometimes, when my allergies are really bad? The answer is no one. 

Still, I plan to plod on. 

My piano gets tuned next week. That always gets me revved back up. I love to hear the difference. 

And I love my piano. 

It stands in the center of my room. 

And the center of my heart. 

Follow your passion this weekend, my dears.
Pirouette at the center of your heart.
It's what makes our lives sing.
- uptonking from Wonderland Burlesque 

--- ---

My Old Piano - Diana Ross










She's After My Piano - 2 Fabiola feat. Loredana

4 comments:

SickoRicko said...

As long as you gain pleasure from it, keep doing it.

Mistress Maddie said...

I only wish I was there to hear you play. And you know...they say tulips on the organ are better then on the piano!

So many questions now. I don't how you remember so many songs? Was learning to play easy? How often does the piano need tuned? Do you play as the one picture suggests with you hands and cock? Is getting blown while playing as hot as it could be hear? Do you play naked? If so can we get pictures? And do you take request? I d love to hear Fly Me to the Moon.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

When I was learning to play, I always wanted to be able to do what you can do: belt out a tune at an opportune moment. However, that never came to pass, because I was (and still am) too cautious and selfconscious - plus, I stopped playing in my teens and never really memorised anything.

You might think yourself "a pretty awful piano player", but just think how many people in your audience can't play at all and will be delighted and impressed with your ability to play without sheet music etc. We're all our own worst critics.


Your final quote: Yes!

BlkJack said...

What kind of piano do you have? Pictures? A song for us to hear? We'd love to hear.
BlkJack!