Followers

Total Pageviews

Friday, September 04, 2020

Friday Fun: Happy ​National Wildlife Day!

Friday Fun: Happy ​National Wildlife Day!

I love me a good education! And I got one, while looking for photos for today's post. 

First off... these cute animal sanctuaries, where people go and feel good about themselves and then shell out a little cash in order to have their photos taken with baby animals? Turns out many of them are terrible places with operators who steal babies from Momma animals, just so they can charge some gullible tourist big bucks for a photo op. Back in 2018, Katy Perry got burned big time this way, not realizing what type of place she was dealing with or what type of business she was promoting. This is a bad business model, folks. Let's not feed that beast or encourage such places to exist. 

So, I did my best to steer clear of re-posting such pics (though I think one or two might have gotten through because the dudes were just so cute). 

Then, I felt conflicted about sharing pictures of animals on chains. Because... these are wild animals. They're not supposed to be on chains. They belong in the wild. They are not on this earth to entertain us. They should be enjoying life in their natural habitat and left the hell alone. 

So, the only animals pictured in chains are those being taken care of at a reputable sanctuary, and the only reason the animals are at the sanctuary is because they cannot be released into the wild. Except, you know... those pics with that hot model and all those birds of prey and the owls... and that hot guy with the tiger. 

No, no... I'm sure there's nothing shady about exploiting those animals in that way. 

And then there are those guys who make a living by promoting wildlife via their television shows. Oh, the guys sure are handsome... but can you really film a television series and get that close to an adult lion without really messing up that animal's natural habitat? By being there, occupying that space... aren't they contaminating the very thing they're claiming to cherish?

To say nothing of that YouTube 'star' who quit his 'promising, lucrative career', chucked it all and moved to Africa so he could commune with the wildlife, because that is what his soul told him to do. Yeah, I am sure he's not having any negative impact on the lives of those animals as he posts picture after picture of himself cavorting with lions and tigers. Or the video of him jogging along the road shirtless as the animals trail behind him, because he lives such a simple and natural life... which is why he's so muscular and lean. I mean, what else is there to do? He's following his heart. His heart! Follow him, already, fer chrissake! Be influenced by him, already. Buy what he buys. What are you waiting for?

I'm sure no poachers have him or his animal friends in the scope of their hunting rifles.

And then there are those charming photos of celebrities using wild animals as props for photo shoots. Nothing unethical about that, right? I mean, they are probably promoting the need for animal sanctuaries, right?  Promoting 'awareness', yes... but of what? Or whom?

I dunno. 

Mistress Maddie mentioned how she feels about zoos recently, and I have to say, I agree. I have such mixed feelings about them. Are they good? I mean people develop an appreciation for wildlife, right? And it is fun to see these animals up close. And these zoos... they are doing the world a favor by preserving endangered species. Still... 

What about that poor polar bear who is totally out of his element, going stir crazy in that tiny, limited space? Or that seal they keep trotting out in order to entertain folks....oh, no, they tell us. They like performing. 

Really?

Do they?

I'm glad that circus animals are becoming a thing of the past. I never want to see another human being sitting on an elephant unless it's in an old Joan Crawford movie (bonus points for naming that movie). 

Now, we really have to work on eliminating all of these exotic petting zoos. Two years ago, I went to a corn maze and found that they had such a thing on site. It made my heart sink. None of those animals wanted to be there. And they sure as hell did not want to be touched. Needless to say, I never went back and never will. 

I mean, what is this person doing with camels, kangaroos, lemurs, emus and such? This is fucking Minnesota!  How is this legal? Who regulates this industry? What standards of care in place? 

So, it's with a lot of mixed feelings that I present the pics below. Some of them, I know for a fact are of wild animals and their protectors or caregivers. And the Australian firemen? Well, lets just say that we would not have a koala bear population making a comeback if it were not for their bravery. So if they want to pose bare-chested and raise funds for the protection of wild animals or for the means to protect those wild animals... I am only too happy to share their pics. 

But those models, celebrities and folks making bank by promoting their relationship with the animal kingdom?

Naw. You don't get a pass. 

But I will post your pics and expose you for what you are, anyway.

Happy National Wildlife Day!

Let's give the 'wild' back to wildlife.

Lite A Flame (The Animal Rights Song) - Laura Nyro













































































Cruel Circus - The Coulourfield

8 comments:

Jimmy said...

Unless domesticated, animals of the wild should be left to other animals of the wild. Not caged or confined.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ugh
Just commented and this stupid site ate it.

GRRR

Bob said...

I like a zoo where mistreated animals, who perhaps cannot be returned to the wild, can be kept and cared for, and the public can see them.But just caging animals out of their element for my enjoyment, is not good.

Now, if the zoo was full of hot shirtless men, then I'd visit every weekend!

Mistress Maddie said...

Yay Wildlife!!!! Good post Uptonking!!!! I couldn't agree more. Some zoo's are top notch and excellent with the good educated people they need and have done tremendous with exhibits, but not all zoos are well run. And if you do give to a wildlife sanctuary, do research and make sure first it's legit and second it's well run with intention. I actually give to two different Elephant sanctuary's for years now. Elephants and giraffe's are a passion of mine. I honesty feel like the guy you spoke of, Im so ready to give up everything and go living with one of these wildlife persevere that help and saves these animals...work for meals and board. I have always deep down felt I should be doing something with animals. It is gross does how many animals large and small are close to extinction. And people wonder why I could give two fucks but the virus thinning out our herd. This is a more heated debate for me then even politics.

anne marie in philly said...

animals - human and otherwise. nice!

whkattk said...

Christian, the lion cub. Remember him? Adorable and they took him from London to a sanctuary in Africa - a real one where the animals are let loose to live as intended. The brothers(?) wnet back several years later and Christian recognized their voices and came running. Another few years went by and when they returned, they spotted him but he didn't respond. That's "back to the wild."

SickoRicko said...

"Berserk"

Anonymous said...

Hey uptonking I've been trying to get in contact with you. Is there any way I can message you?