Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

It's An Art (Museum)

It's An Art (Museum)

The idea for this post was born from last week's It's An Art (Quiz). I mentioned that our friend, Sixpence, had lamented our inability to visit museums, a love I also share and an activity I sorely miss.

Given our isolation, it got me thinking about the images we choose to surround ourselves with on a daily basis - those select pieces of art we collect and display in our homes. So, I decided to create my own museum, one dedicated to the photographs, paintings, watercolors, sculpture, original prints and posters that I have collected over the years.

There are stories to accompany each piece, but I won't bore you with them. Suffice to say, some are commissioned pieces, some won at auction, some gifts, some inherited. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I am still stuck working with my Droid, even though I did purchase a memory card for this new camera someone gave me (but then I set the memory card down somewhere for safe keeping and, of course, can't remember where that someplace is). Also, taking photos of art under glass? Not easy. The glass reflects everything in front of it, including your body - hence the weird angles (and my occasional chrome dome). 

A couple of you have shared pics of your domiciles in the past and I have always enjoyed that peek into the world of another. So, if anyone feels inspired, I would love to see what's hanging on your walls. What's your treasure? Here are some of mine...

Enjoy! 

 Untitled
Sydney Terwey
Photograph, 2014

The Broken Sword
Sculpture
Red Clay, Steel Wire, and Wood, 1954

Untitled
Duane Atter
Photograph, 2010

Cabin Couture
Linda Wallace
Acrylic and Decoupage, 1994

Dragonfly Pot
Mary Pratt
Clay, 2019

By the Light of the Silvery Moon
Larry Kanfer
Photograph, 1998

Untitled
E.W. Sturcken
Charcoal and Chalk, 1933

Bleeding Hearts
Duane Atter
Photograph, 2010

Untitled
M.M. Egan
Charcoal, 1998

Paco and Beau
Jen Thiesen
Acrylic, 2002

After Rain
Kathy Christopher 
Watercolor, 1988

Dog With Green Scarf 
Kemp
Acrylic, 1999

Entrée Du Chateaux
A Signed Etching by Alfred Van Neste 
Early 20th Century 

Kitchen I
Meg Corcoran
Watercolor, 2015

Kitchen II
Meg Corcoran
Watercolor, 2015

Judy Garland
Carnagie Hall
Poster - original, 1961

Marian Anderson
Pickwick Theatre
Poster - original, 1941

Paul Robeson
Westchester County Center
Poster - original, 1937

Untitled
Hans Axel Wallen
Watercolor, 1978

Untitled
Charlie Welline
Linocut Print, 1987

Dancing at the Volcano
Charlie Welline
Linocut Print, 1987

Untitled
Sandi Dahl
Acrylic, 1990

Beloved
Jen Theisen
Acrylic and Wire, 2001

Joey's Black Eye
Miriam Arneson
Watercolor, 1985

Abstract
Adam Paol Seagram
Acrylic, 1996

--- ---

To Me You Are A Work of Art - Morrissey

7 comments:

Jimmy said...

Love your collection. Especially the 'black eye' watercolor. And that Dragonfly bowl is very Arts and Crafts. My type of stuff. Then the kitchen art. Gorgeous.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh, I love this.
And I so miss going to museums! If you come to Chi, we need to go to theArt Institute!
Love all the original posters. I’d stab a bitch for the Judy one.
I love the painting of the doggies! OMG too cute.
I also love the charcoal drawing of the guy and the dragonfly ceramic piece.
Very nice.

XoXo

anne marie in philly said...

those posters! both paul and marian are homebodies, so RECOGNIZE! my fave is the dragonfly clay pot.

Bob said...

Love the collection.

LoveLoveLove Paco and Beau and Kitchen I especially!

whkattk said...

Great stuff! Re: posters, I have a friend who has original Broadway poster collection going all the way back to the Fanny Brice in the 30's.

The Larry Kaner photo is stunning!

Mistress Maddie said...

That was great fun to see. Such varied subject matter. It also surprised me you didn't have more nudes. I have one painting a friend did in my kitchen, but most of my wall hangings are more photography these days either from friends or things I had blown up. I do a a pen and ink a friend did.. a Betty Page inspired pop art piece. I think my favorite here is the flora and fauna.

Although I did get a surprise the other day.

SickoRicko said...

Very nice eclectic collection!