Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sunday Diva / Three From the Hip: Billie Holiday

Sunday Diva / Three From the Hip: 
Billie Holiday

In my own personal big gay church there is a wing dedicated to those who are truly unique and one of a kind. For one such fine example, look no further than...

Billie Holiday.

Lady Day.

A vocal style all her own.

Incomparable timing. 

Distinct phrasing, relying on open-ended vowel sounds to soften and elongate, while emphasizing individual syllables to articulate.

Unmistakably pitched in her head voice, that sound of hers came from a place much, much deeper. It colored every note she ever sang.

And boy, did she sing. Like her life depended on it. And... in some ways it did.

She sang in an era when times were simpler, but oh, how very complicated they could become.

A cautionary tale? Perhaps.

But there was always the music. Always that sound. Always that voice.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Other people's words.

--- ---

"You've got to have something to eat and a little love in your life before you can hold still for any damn body's sermon on how to behave."

"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough."

They say... "I'm always making a comeback but nobody ever tells me where I've been."

God Bless The Child - Billie Holiday

Gloomy Sunday - Billie Holiday

Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday

And one parting shot...

"Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain."

6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

she had A VOICE! and she was born in philly! a pity she got hooked on drugs. :(

Bob said...

I could listen to her all day and all night.

SickoRicko said...

I love her and her music.

Mistress Maddie said...

I have always loved Billie!!!!!! And her Strange Fruit is probably the most dark, stirring, and poignant song EVER written you ask me.

I have introduced many friends to Billie by way of Amy Winehouse....sadly who was the modern day Billie.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

OMGOMGOMG
Love, love, her!
My first CD ever was a Billie Holiday CD. My boyfriend at the time gave it to me. Have never looked back.

XOXO

BlkJack said...

I have to agree with Mistress Maddie on Strange Fruit. Powerful!
BlkJack