Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Sunday Diva / Three From the Hip: Eartha Kitt

Sunday Diva / Three From the Hip: 
Eartha Kitt

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing dedicated to those who are strikingly unique, one of a kind pioneers.

Eartha Kitt.

Unequaled. Like no other.

Never has a name been more suitable. Of the earth. Feline. A born warrior.

She lived an authentic life, always true to her own self.

She loved whom she loved. She performed what she felt. She spoke up and stood up for what she believed in.

And she paid a price for it.

Blackballed. Phones tapped. Labeled a subversive.

Career over?

Naw.

Not Eartha Kitt.

There are forces not even the U.S. government can stop.

Marching to a beat all her own, the woman became a legend.

I think she may be the coolest person... ever.

Having a ménage à trois with Paul Newman and James Dean? In my book, that alone qualifies her for diva status.

But she was so much more than sex or the men in her life. More than her voice. More than dance. More than a catsuit, or a song, or a photograph. 

She's Eartha Kitt.  

The gospel according to her?

Well, here's three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Growing.

"I have used all the manure that has been thrown on me as fertilizer to make me stronger."

"I've never felt that fear is my enemy. Fear is my friend. It offers me a chance to stay alert, keep growing, continue creating something new. If you don't take that sort of risk, you learn nothing."

"I am learning all the time. My tombstone will be my diploma."

I Want To Be Evil - Eartha Kitt

Black Little Angels/Angelitos Negros - Eartha Kitt

Cha Cha Heels - Eartha Kitt & Bronski Beat


I encourage you to watch this:
from the musical Timbuktu!

6 comments:

Bob said...

One of a kind, and so far ahead of her time!

anne marie in philly said...

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I was lucky enough to see eartha perform live in a small DC supper club in 1990. FABU!

SickoRicko said...

I have always loved her unique voice.

Mistress Maddie said...

NOW were talking!!!!!!!! Eartha is to be sure a gay pillar. Just today while on day drinking....I had on Where's my Man and may have did a impromptu routine to it. She was perrrrrrrfet in that song and many others.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love her!
Her 'I want to be bad' is my national anthem.
Jujubee did her in Drag Race and I could not stop laughing.

XOXO

whkattk said...

Oh, now, Eartha was one of a kind. Fabulous voice, classy all the way - even when she was being a teensy bit naughty.