Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 02, 2020

This is My 19th Covid Meltdown

This is My 19th Covid Meltdown

Last week I had a true Covid-19 meltdown.

It began when the facilities group where I work began sending me notifications that they were cancelling all of my conference room reservations. Some of these reservations were for long-standing weekly meetings involving over 50 attendees, so having the right room is important. I pushed back, a knee jerk reaction on my part, and the answers I was getting back? Well, they simply didn't compute. 

As I tried to wrap my brain around what was happening, I could sense and feel my internal wiring short-circuiting. 

It was only when I realized that they'd changed the name of the conference room to something like Covid-19 War Room that I got the message. 

You see, in my mind... this work from home thing is temporary. Any day now, I thought, we will return to the office and pick up right where we left off. We'll all soon be sitting in conference rooms, hour after hour, side by side... all of us wishing we were still working from home.

But... no.

Suddenly it occurred to me that was not the case. That we are never going to go back to the way things were. The world has changed... forever. And I will be working from my little bunker going forward... forever.

Images from the movie 1984 filled my head. The cold austerity. The isolation. The fear. 

Annie Lennox crooning in the background.

It shook me cold.

Given our current political climate and the cry for social change, visions of a dystopian nightmare began to occupy my thoughts. I felt horribly overwhelmed. 

And terribly alone. 

That's about the same time I started to notice all these reports and personal accounts of how all this was negatively impacting people's libidos. So, not only was it going to be a cold world... it would be sexless, too. 

Well, needless to say, I was just wrapping myself up in a burrito of insanity. I simply couldn't stand the thought of my tiny life shrinking even more.

I tried to explain what I was feeling to my work wife via email. She didn't get it. That's because she is going out... sitting on patios and having drinks with friends. She is travelling to friends' houses for weekend stay-overs, lounging by their pools. She's even going into the office once or twice a week. 

I tried to explain to my boyfriend. He told me I was over-reacting. That things will return to normal once there is a vaccine. That's his belief... the flagship, the beacon of light which keeps him sane.

But the virus is mutating. Today, it's Covid... tomorrow, who knows? It could be something else. 

More than ever, I am convinced all those science fiction writers, with their apocalyptic views of future society, got it right. I could see myself hunkered down in a bare-essentials tomb, staring at a screen in order to stay connected to society while learning of the world's events via sanitized propaganda news outlets. 

Which is why people are out there protesting. To fight this... all of it; the injustice, the current administration, the corruption, the authoritarianism... that future. They want to feel a part of life. They want to be living it... not just surviving it. They want a say in what tomorrow looks like.

Even the Covid anti-maskers. I get it. They are terrified of change and of the thought that change could be permanent. It's not only that they resent being told what to do. They fear the way we used to live our lives? That could be over. So they rage against it - even at their own peril. 

Because one can, indeed, live too cautiously. One can live life so cautiously that one has no life.

Me? I feel I have to air on the side of caution. I can't afford to have anything happen to my mother, my ex or my boyfriend. And right now... they are my whole world, on a daily basis. Their welfare is in my hands, just as mine is in theirs. 

So, I buckle down and try to remain grateful. 

And I try to let go of things that are non-essential. Like the prairie. And sex. And happy hours.

I keep telling myself that I have to work with what is available. If I want to exercise? I have to make do with what is on hand. If I want middle eastern food? I have to learn to make it myself. If I want a happy hour? Crack open a bottle. 

I read. I play piano. I learn a new song. I take the dog for walks. I bike. I clean. I work out. 

I have plenty to occupy my time...

...it's my mind that seems to be the problem.

It's living in a tiny bunker of its own design. Creatively coping... while all around it, sparks are flying, as its circuit board threatens to overheat

Is the sky falling?

Or is it just raining stars?

19th Nervous Breakdown - The Rolling Stones
































































DoublePlusGood - Eurythmics

8 comments:

Jimmy said...

I love the photos.

Think of of it as a stage of life. With my husband home, I bitch about my 'alone' time.

Bob said...

I am one of those who think this will change. Will it get back to how it was? Probably not exactly as it was because we've now earned that many jobs can be done remotely, and some folks like that. We've seen who the idiots are, and we can now ween them from our lives.
Carlos and i are home together a lot; i go "in" to work maybe twice a week, and he has his own business which is mainly work from home,so this is not too new. It's a new normal which may shift to a newer normal as we go through this.

But enough about that .... I need more people in full latex on the streets.

Mistress Maddie said...

I think for me living alone and the no sex is the biggest issue for me. By far. But this is not going away. Sure in PA it's getting better and more better....but everyday im hearing to expect over a 1000 deaths a day....and states like TX and FL and others where it is way out of control...people don't want to listen. Mother Nature tells me wait till fall and winter....i think it will get worst...and God forbid it mutate with the regular flu which is bound to happen. Being this close to fall and at the point where were at is NOT A GOOD thing all because of openings...people can't listen...places allowing to many people and fucking stupid people who don't want to mask up..and people having these secret house parties..dance clubs open and boating gathering. Can can you even social distance in a dance club?????? We're land of the spoiled Karen's and don't want to scarfiace....and I have heard of very little planning or mention of how to...from either trump or Biden in addition to anything even on climate change. So if mother nature needs to keep taking lives...i say let her till the stupid flock in this country can learn a lesson. And do things safely. Of course we may be down to a few 100 thousand......

anne marie in philly said...

you are doing some good work, dear. right now we have no control over COVID-19. we can only control our reaction to it. oh yeah, VOTE ON NOVEMBER 3!

whkattk said...

I hear ya.... It's fuckin' scary right now. Not just because of the CV-19, but everything the extremists are doing by walking and driving the streets with assault rifles. They're trying to scare us even more.

But, we have to hold on to a glimmer of hope. We have to look for it, squint our eyes and search if we must. Because hope is all we've got right now. Things will return to normal... They did after the 1918 Spanish Flu, they did after two World Wars, after HIV/AIDS, and they will again.

SickoRicko said...

I like whkattk's advice. I can totally relate to your narrative and I loved the images and music! I hope after putting this post together you were able to lean back and take a deep breath, cuz that helps a lot.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I fucking love the Stones!
As for we getting ready for a ‘new normal’? Yes. Many things are not gonna be the same. Especially without a vaccine and without a clear treatment for COVID. I miss many things and some days I feel just like you: trapped and hopeless. That’s when I have to go work on the plants, listen to records or go for a run.
I can’t wait until we can do museums and plays and concerts. But it’s gonna take a minute.

XoXo

BlkJack said...

I hear you loud and clear on this one. I hate having my life on hold. My husband and I want to travel, see family, and such but, like everyone else we are alone most of the time. I do agree with those who feel that we will get back to normal at some time, just not tomorrow. Right now, my focus is on the end of the orange goblin in a few weeks.
BlkJack