Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Sunday Diva / Three From the Hip: Jody Watley

Sunday Diva / Three From the Hip: 
Jody Watley

In my own personal big gay church, there is a wing devoted to those belonging to The Rhythm Nation. These women got us to think, encouraged us to love and respect ourselves, made us feel sexy as hell and... most importantly, got us to dance! One such diva brought a sense of style unlike anyone before her. She was runway perfection, demonstrating once and for all, that even though the beats are big, the hoops could always be bigger!

We are talking about the queen of cool...

Ms. Jody Watley

She paid her dues, putting up with the volatile, toxic environment that was Shalamar, only to emerge unscathed, like a butterfly from a cocoon. A stylish, sexy, powerful butterfly.

She showed us how to dance, how to walk, how to dress, and continued to evolve before our eyes as a musician and a woman.

Jody told us not to accept less. That we are of value. That we all have have worth.

And she did it all, reigning supreme; under the brightest of lights, with the freshest of moves, on the hottest of dancefloors.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? Maturing

"When you're a girl, passion can dominate the equation, but as you grow up relationships evolve. Mad passion can grab you at first, but it can't last forever. Passion has always been important to me. That won't change. What changes in a woman's perspective. I mean, I have two kids now. I'm a single parent balancing motherhood and my career. That changes the equation."

"The music business is very hard on women over 22. You really have to prove yourself every time you make a record. Are you as vibrant as you used to be? Are you as sexy? So I really want to prove that a woman (of a certain age) can be all those things and more."

"I always make this joke that I know you were expecting to see the big skirts and the hoops. But that was a long time ago. Artists aren't always seen as real people. If you start out as a teenager, sometimes people want to keep you locked as that. But I'm a woman now." 

I'm Looking For A New Love - Jody Watley

Real Love - Jody Watley

Nightlife (Dave Doyle Remix) - Jody Watley

And one last parting shot...

"There's one more thing I want to say. It's a touchy subject. Black beauty. Black sensuality. We live in a culture where the beauty of black people isn't always as celebrated as other types. I'd like to help change that if I can!"

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

if those are recent pix of jody, she looks FAB and BEAUTIFUL! and you picked my fave songs of hers. "listen up..."

Bob said...

God, how much do I love Jody. This post made my day.
I love her voice, energy, style, attitude and beauty.
And it is sad that sometimes people think black can't be beautiful when it clearly is. Jody is all that and more!

Mistress Maddie said...

Now i was a HUGE Jody Watley fan!!! And even up to about a couple years ago many still didn't know she had new releases. And some of the dance remixes were hot. Her newer stuff was as food as classic Jody.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

She looks fantastic.
And she was the ORIGINAL 'it' girl on MTV, no? After she left Shalimar. Like you, she's in the parthenon of dance divas I always go to.
Looking for a new love is soooooooo good!
Hey baby. I've got something for ya.... that groove!

XOXO