Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Who Did It Better? Second Avenue

Who Did It Better? 
Second Avenue

Ah, time to return to the seventies.  And another soppy ballad. Seems to be my favorite time period. and one of my favorite kinds of songs.

Today's Who Did It Better finds another great song with competing versions released at the same time - reportedly, two days apart. Tim Moore, who wrote it and singer supreme, Art Garfunkel both released versions of Second Avenue as a single the week of August 31, 1974. 

Okay... so, you're asking yourself.. who is Tim Moore?

Well let me tell you!

The song is amazing, as are many of Tim Moore's compositions. He has a long history in the industry. Early in his career he was the drummer for Todd Rundgren's first band, Woody's Truck Stop. Then he formed his own band, The Muffins and they had a minor hit with Subway Traveler. After the Muffins supported such acts as The Velvet Underground, the group broke up. He moved to Philadelphia, and became a staff writer and studio musician for Philadelphia soul legends Thom Bell and Gamble and Huff.

During that time, he lived next door to Daryl Hall (later of Hall & Oates). The two became friends and formed a band called Gulliver, releasing one album in 1970 on Elektra Records. In 1974, Moore would win the American Song Festival (an international songwriting contest) Grand Prize Award for the song Charmer (covered by Etta James). The song would attract a lot of interest and lead to a solo album on the fledgling label, A Small Record Company. 

Meanwhile, Art Garfunkel's first solo album had run out of gas and Columbia Records was eager for more product. Moore's song came to the attention of Clive Davis, who pushed for Garfunkel to record it. It was released as a stand-alone single during the same week as Tim Moore's version. Garfunkel's version would never be included on an album (except for a re-recorded/edited version for a greatest hits release) because he was already in the midst of recording his Breakaway (1975) album, and it was decided the song didn't match the tone and texture of the rest of that album.

Garfunkel's version would peak at #34 on Billboard's Hot 100 and #6 on the Adult Contemporary Chart.

Moore's version reached #58, at which point his record company, A Small Record Company, would close its doors. That meant no more promotional support for the single and it quickly faded from radio. 

The end of Tim Moore? Hardly. Learning that he was a free agent, a bidding war took place between Columbia Records and Asylum Records, with the latter winning. Asylum would buy Moore's first solo album and re-release it on their own label, however, the momentum was gone. Moore would go on to release three more albums for Asylum and one for an independent label in 1985. Of note: he would pen Rock 'N Roll Love Letter, which was a #28 hit for The Bay City Rollers in 1976. 

Okay, you've got the facts... now, let's hear the music. 

The Song: Second Avenue

The Competitors: Moore vs. Garfunkel

Put on your listening ears and let's take a stroll down memory lane, shall we?

Second Avenue - Tim Moore

Second Avenue - Art Garfunkel

So, first off... about the song. It's one of those gems that should have been bigger than it was (there are a number of those). I first discovered it on a compilation album issued by Warner Bros. Records (of which Asylum was a subsidiary). On the inner sleeves of albums, Warner Bros. would advertise these sampler albums... for a mere two bucks you would get two discs loaded with songs that may or may not have been a hit, but the company wanted to give you a taste of the various artists on the label. Moore's version of Second Avenue was on one of these.

I'm a sucker for a wistful ballad. And this one... is one big sigh. The piano lines throughout are ethereal and gorgeous - pure beauty. I then discovered that this piano book I'd dug out of a bargain bin for a buck - 101 Songs, blah, blah - had a very accurate score for Second Avenue. I did manage to play it, but never as well as Moore. 

So, this song holds a special place in my heart. 

Note: The Tim Moore recording is from the Asylum re-issue. I don't know if they messed with production or not, but this is most likely not the exact same version that was competing with Mr. Garfunkel's version (but close enough?).

Moore's version is crisp and clean. His vocals? A tad nasal on occasion, careening off a bit. There's a lovely lilt to his voice, a slight vibrato that adds a hint of vulnerability, which suits the song and the production nicely. That dull, thudding drum beat? Yeah, a tad annoying, but consider the time period. Moore turns up the emotional heat a couple of times - as much as possible considering his voice is more folk-oriented and this is not a power ballad by any means. He tells his tale simply with a piano arrangement - unlike any I know - supporting him throughout. At times, it threatens to overwhelm Moore's delicate vocals, but I do adore the crisp sound of a real acoustic piano and here, it is played incredibly well.  Too busy? Maybe.

I find Garfunkel's vocals to be absolutely lovely. The man could sing the damn phone book. His breath control and sense of phrasing? Unapparelled. However, his version is quickly overwhelmed by that damn string arrangement by Ernie Freeman. I also find the production by Roy Halee to be a tad muddled. Leaden even. And they commit an ultimate sin! They mess with the opening piano line, inverting it, which immediately torpedoes the song's natural lift. Yes, I have problems with this version. Had it been the only version I'd ever heard? I would, of course, adore it (and, because it's Mr. Garfunkel, I do). 

And there's the rub. See, I grew up with Tim Moore's version. I had no idea the Garfunkel version even existed until the days of Napster. So my ears are tainted and biased toward Moore's version. 

And... because of it's cleanliness, it's lack of fuss - because the arrangement remains true to the song and doesn't get in the way... I am giving this one to Tim Moore. It makes me want to hear a lot more of his stuff. And why I haven't, after all these years? Well, my only excuse is that there are only so many hours in a day and my days of spending hours in my room listening to music - I mean... really listening? Yeah, I'm afraid they went the way of the 8-Track Tape.

Okay... your turn. What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments section. You know how I love to hear from you.

That's all for now...

Until next time - thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I love how you talk about music. Really.
Now, on to the vacuous: Tim Moore was a looker!! Gosh I can imagine him singing that song on the piano on a rainy march afternoon... pants would be off in no time.
Even though Art's voice sounds sweeter (is there such a thing?) I think I like Tim's version better, like you. There's something thudding in Art's version? I don't know what it is.
I like the sound of the seventies, especially in ballads sung by men.
And now I want an 8-track player!!!

XOXO

anne marie in philly said...

never heard of this song until now. I like garfunkel's version better. and who knew all that about tim moore, a wannabe homeboy!

whkattk said...

Oh, my...this is a tough choice. I absolutely love the theatrics that Garfunkle always brought to a lyric. He tells the story. And, yes, I love his clear soaring notes. Moore's version is more basic instrumentation, a more simple version - and most likely carries his intention (we artists know what we initially intended for a piece). He got a nice tone.

So, for me, this is a tie.

Mistress Maddie said...

I like Art Garfunkel a lot...and not a fan of the song....but i like the Tim Moore version better also.

SickoRicko said...

Tim's voice had a certain appeal to me.