Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Wonderland Burlesque's Thanksgiving Quiz

Wonderland Burlesque's 
Thanksgiving Quiz

Yes, it's that time of year! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I have fond memories of gathering at my maternal grandmother's tiny house. There would be a minimum of 27 people crammed in that place, and how we all managed amazes me. But we did, and we had fun.

I think it's because this holiday is based on the meal, and food is one of my favorite things in all the world.

Okay, time to sit down, tuck in our bibs, and dig into today's quiz!

--- ---

1/ What is your favorite food item that is a part of your Thanksgiving tradition?

When I was a kid, I adored canned cranberries - the kind where you opened the can and placed them on a plate. It was the shape, texture, and color that I adored, because it fed into my obsession with food that does not taste or look like food. I loved slicing a perfectly round half-inch of the gelatinous, sugary goodness. It's flavor had a kick to it and best of all - it was the most over-looked item on the table. I could eat as much of it as I wanted. 

These days? Hands down, it's the mashed potatoes. Hard to screw up (though some have) and I find such comfort in them. And I don't care if you make instant potatoes (sacrilege, to be sure - I mean how hard is it to make real ones?), just as long as there are plenty on the table and you don't scold me for taking too much.  

2/ What is your least favorite food associated with this holiday?

I have a love/hate relationship with green bean casseroles. 

I no longer eat meat, so the smell of the turkey? Nauseates me. I like all the traditional Thanksgiving side dishes - you do not need the turkey. These days, I do eat tofurky or some equivalent. But only because other people keep buying and preparing them... offering them up like some necessary consolation prize. 

Bless them. And I dutifully eat it... but it is not necessary. 

Now, let's talk about stuffing. Stuffing should never be snotty. Do not serve me stuffing that has too much liquid in it. And... let's keep it simple folks. Too many ingredients can really try the patience of even the most tolerant of stuffing aficionados. There are things that do not belong in stuffing. M&Ms come to mind. Skittles, too. 

Dessert. Again... keep it simple. While I am game, I have lost my taste for anything featuring Cool Whip. Yes, it plays into my whole food that does not taste or look like food, but I have eaten my lifetime's share. These days? It's a hard pass.

3/ Have you ever prepared a Thanksgiving feast? How many guests? What did you serve?

I did. Or at least I tried. 

The year the soon-to-be ex and I got together and created a home, I decided to have invite all my family and his mother to our house for Thanksgiving. This was in an effort to win over my mother, who was still on the fence regarding my new life partner. 

I cleared the bunker, set up tables, and a sitting area where television could be viewed. I had activities planned for the munchkins, with every child going home with multiple prizes. I even decorated. Festive cut outs, color-themed table clothes, place cards, streamers... 

The menu was planned. I wanted to keep it simple and true to the occasion. Each of my sisters (three) and my mother were asked to bring either an appetizer or a dessert. 

The morning of the event, I received a call from my mother. My eldest sister wasn't coming because she wasn't sure children should be exposed to "that type of environment." It was 1997, dears. I called my youngest sister and asked her to talk to my older sister. I told her to mention that there was lots of wine available and presents for the kids. 

I don't know what my youngest sister said to her, but my eldest sister and her kids and husband showed up. On time. 

The only downside to the whole day? My ex, for some reason, became super controlling in the kitchen. After he grabbed a whisk from my hands, I picked up my glass of wine and headed down into the bunker, where I had a nice time chatting. 

Suddenly there was a voice from the top of the stairs, "Aren't you going to help?" "Of course!" And up the stairs went me and my three sisters, all ready to lend a hand.  We soon learned what he really wanted was an audience. Needless to say, I left my sisters to it and returned to the bunker and another glass of wine.

Never did it again. Though I have offered. 

These days? We keep it simple and small. In fact, this year it will just be my ex, me and my mom. The boyfriend has traumatic memories of the holiday and refuses to participate. The menu? Pizza (I wanted vegan pot pies) and a salad. 

To each their own.
 
4/ After the meal... do you take a nap?

I never used to. And then I saw them for what they are! A means of escape. 

I always wondered why all the men sacked out immediately after the meal. Just lying about, the television blaring, kids running around high on sugar. 

Years later I realized it was their way of getting out of doing dishes. And who's to blame them. Thanksgiving kitchens are the stuff of nightmares. So much yakking and positioning going on. 

I'd rather nap.

5/ Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? On in the background? Are you a faithful watcher?

It was always on in the background, while waiting for guests to arrive. I rarely actually watched any of it. It seemed to be a colorful waste of time - you know, like most variety shows. But on occasion my ears would perk up and I'd be transfixed, watching the cast of a Broadway musical perform, or a pop star lip-sync for their lives atop some garish, moving mountain of flash trash.

The performances rarely made sense. And, on the street, seemed surreal.

But, nope. Not a fan.

Those giant balloons scare the bejesus out of me. 

6/ Football? Big fan?

I loved football... in person. When I was in high school. 

I have never felt the same way about professional sports or televised sports. 

I don't know the people playing. In high school? You were cheering for someone you actually knew (I grew up in a very small community). 

And that's why that enthusiasm has never transferred to professional sports teams. I look at televised sports and all I see is a lot of money running around on a field. Nice asses... but way to much money. 

For as much as they are paid? They should have to play naked.

7/ At what age did you realize that the story associated with the founding of holiday was more than a little suspect?

I have really only recently embraced the idea that what we were taught about Thanksgiving as children was more wishful thinking than reality. 

I don't cotton much with those who declare this a celebration of genocide... but I definitely understand why they feel the way they do. 

I am 25% Native American. My paternal grandmother was full-blooded. In all my years, this has never been a topic of conversation in my family. No one discussed it. My father never admitted it or brought it up. When asked, he claimed to be German/English. Which is true... his father was. But his mother was a full-blooded Native American. 

Growing up, I never could understand why my father looked the way he did. Nor why his eldest sister looked middle eastern. In fact, there was something not quite Caucasian about all his eleven siblings. My paternal grandmother died a few days after I was born. I have a picture of me being held by her as she laid in a hospital bed. So, I never knew her and, I fear, her story is lost to me forever. 

No, I don't know what tribe she belonged to. In fact, how my paternal grandparents got together? Big mystery. 

But I see our ancestry in most of my siblings. There's those cheekbones and the way our skin reacts to the sun. Why none of us talk about it? I have no idea. It's like a box whose lid has never been lifted. 

Which is odd. My mother's youngest sister married a full-blooded Mexican and, growing up, it never occurred to any of us that was something unusual. We never discussed it. It was simply part of the make-up of our family. Growing up, no one was called a name based on our bloodlines.

So, tolerance? I guess I grew up with it. I just never realized that we may have been viewed by others, outside the family, as something unlike everybody else. Though it does go a long way to explaining the resistance my family experienced living in a small town. I always chalked it up to our lack of money.  

But small towns being what they are... I guess I could see something else playing into what I experienced growing up there.

8/ Over the river and through the woods? What is the furthest you have ever traveled to celebrate Thanksgiving?

I flew from Los Angeles to Las Cruces one year, to spend it with my older brother. He's a total tool and his wife, though sweet and well-meaning, is a pro-life whacko. But their kids were nice - then. 

And I was lonely.

9/ What is the strangest or most unusual Thanksgiving you have ever spent? Oddest food served?

My first year in LA, my then boyfriend/partner (the painter) took me to friends of his (a gay couple) for Thanksgiving. It took me a little while, but I quickly realized that they didn't know my boyfriend very well at all and that we were basically strangers crashing their Thanksgiving with friends and family. I did my best, being grateful and cordial. But I definitely felt like a fish out of water. The couple was uber-wealthy and I was way out of my comfort zone. 

The food was catered and an odd mix. Things totally unassociated with the holiday.  It was more like a cocktail party. I remember sitting on their furniture, praying I wouldn't get anything on their upholstery. 

I did my best to sit and look good. Or at least to not stand out. When someone would ask a question, I was polite, but brief. I knew that I had nothing in common with these people and as soon as they discerned that I had nothing to offer as far as status, career, or networking... they moved on.

It never occurred to me to try and charm them, entertain them or ingratiate myself in any way.

I never saw any of them again in my life.

10/ What are you thankful for?

My health.

My family - as I define it.

My job and the security it offers.

That (should he live long enough) Biden will soon be in the White House and this current national nightmare can be put behind us. For a few years, at least.

Blogging and our tiny blogging community. I honestly don't know what I would have done if I hadn't rediscovered this. I enjoy it so much... and the other bloggers have added incredible insights and POVs to my life. I hope we all remain healthy and safe.

Oh, and gin...

...above all else. Gin.

Oh, and Maurice White... cuz he so damn sexy. Damn!  That man! Woot woot. 

I want him to wear me like tight fitting pair of satin trousers.

--- ---

Okay, your turn... you know the drill: leave your answers in the comments section, or post on your blog and leave a link.

And, as always... thanks for reading!

Gratitude - Earth Wind and Fire



































































Thank You - Dido

9 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ok, so I don't really cook, so my THNXGVNG contribution is usually set the table and look purdy. And eat. We usually celebrated at my putative sister in law's house. This year? I'm not doing THNXGVNG. Nope.
So here we go: No football, no parade. Pass. As for food, I like most everything. I'm not a fussy eater. I just don't like canned anything too much. And the mashed taters needs to be made from scratch. I also love stuffing, but you are right, not runny. I can live without the green bean casserole, too. And I'll be controversial: I don't care about pumpkin pie. Nope. Don't miss it. At all.
And we celebrate because the Wyphe's and her twin's bday is in November, so we mix it all up and celebrate several things at the time. One stone, several birds, lots of food.

XOXO

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh, sidenote:
I'm thankful for everything. Really. I'm healthy, I'm loved and I love.

XOXO

anne marie in philly said...

1 - lasagna or salmon

2 - turkey

3 - never

4 - hell yeah!

5 - FUCK MACY'S! we have our own parade AND it's the oldest parade
in the country!

6 - FUCK NO!

7 - middle school age

8 - visit the in-laws 2.5 hours away by car; they are dead now

9 - my ex-husband's parents: FIL was a nutcase and MIL was paranoid. she burned everything she cooked. marshmallows on the sweet potatoes - OH HELL NO to that glop!

10 - spouse, cats, blog friends, knitting yarn, gin

Bob said...

1/ What is your favorite food item that is a part of your Thanksgiving tradition?

I always loved my Mother’s Cornbread Stuffing, so I learned to make it and we now have it every year. And then there’s Carlos’ homemade Pumpkin Cheesecake that he makes every year because it’s also my favorite.
Those two; hands down.

2/ What is your least favorite food associated with this holiday?

I fall on the side of loathing the Green Bean Casseroles, which is why we do Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Bleu Cheese and Balsamic Reduction. Yum.

3/ Have you ever prepared a Thanksgiving feast? How many guests? What did you serve?

We’ve done dinner for twelve …once. It was traditional: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce; the aforementioned Brussel sprouts; grilled asparagus; dinner rolls from the Mulberry Bake Shop; a salad Nina brought; and all kinds of desserts.
We usually have about six people and we cook—because Carlos and I love making Thanksgiving Dinner—but this year it is a Covid Dinner for Two.

4/ After the meal... do you take a nap?

No; there’s the cleanup; there’s the boiling of the turkey carcass to make soup broth; there’s still wine; it’s time for an easy chair, though.

5/ Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? On in the background? Are you a faithful watcher?

Always on in the background. If I heard something interesting I’d stop to watch, though.

6/ Football? Big fan?
That’s a simple answer: No.

7/ At what age did you realize that the story associated with the founding of holiday was more than a little suspect?
I was a teenager. Now, for us, we celebrate the day as our own giving of thanks for the last year, and not based on some fairytale that ends in murder.

8/ Over the river and through the woods? What is the furthest you have ever traveled to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Cross country from Miami to Oregon for a family gathering. Usually, though, we keep it close to our home.

9/ What is the strangest or most unusual Thanksgiving you have ever spent? Oddest food served?

I don’t remember any strange Thanksgivings, or odd food. For us, it’s always been about family and friends and so it’s fairly traditional, which I like.
Except …the first Thanksgiving I after I moved to Miami to be with Carlos, he and his Aunt Gloria took me to the Rascal House on Miami Beach for Thanksgiving. A Jewish deli; really good food, but I’d never gone ‘out’ to dinner on Thanksgiving. I was near tears because it was nothing like I’d ever wanted or expected. But after that we began cooking and hosting and the world turned upright again!

10/ What are you thankful for?

Life, health, love, friends, family, pets, home, air, music, words, AKA blogdom,, peaceful times, and most of all, Carlos.

Jimmy said...

Smooches...to you and the tiny blogging community.

whkattk said...

Well, I basically hate this time of year, but I'll try to play along.

1. Lobster. Because, we don't like turkey, and what did those pilgrims actually have at the ready? Seafood.
2. See answer #1.
3. Yes. Most number of people? I think 12. The traditional dinner and all the trimmings and fixin's.
4. Couldn't, but I sure wanted to.
5. When i was a kid. As an adult? Nope.
6. Nope. No football. Music is on in this house.
7. Not sure when I came to that realization. But, I'm glad I did.
8. From here to the homestead in OH...about 2300 miles.
9. In the military. Bad food in the mess hall, but great fun with a few guys afterward. Yes, that kind of fun.
10. A wife who understands and accepts my bisexuality; my home that I designed and built 22 years ago; the people who read my blog and, especially the ones who read and comment. Hugs to you, Upton!

SickoRicko said...

I love that "Thank You" song.

Mistress Maddie said...

I love thanksgiving!!!

What is your favorite food item that is a part of your Thanksgiving tradition? By far the turkey and stuffing. By my aunt's Madera sweet potatoes are to die for as is her cranberry sauce relish...no canned anything in her house.

What is your least favorite food associated with this holiday? Is there such a thing?

Have you ever prepared a Thanksgiving feast? How many guests? What did you serve? Nope not yet. But i guess soon I might have to take the reigns.....

After the meal... do you take a nap? After dishes and before dessert we all take a walk around the block to get fresh air.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? On in the background? Are you a faithful watcher? Both. It's on...but early watch faithfully. To much talk and commercials. It's a former shell of what it used to being....just floats...bands and balloons. Now it just promotes...brands, stars and Bway shows. Meh.

NO FOOTBALL!

At what age did you realize that the story associated with the founding of holiday was more than a little suspect? I don't know i ever really believed it.

What is the furthest you have ever traveled to celebrate Thanksgiving? Two hours.


What are you thankful for? my health and home. My family and friends. Nature. And my independence. And watching another year of A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

Mistress Maddie said...

And you have no idea how happy i was when you popped up in my blogger reader during the pandemic. I always enjoyed you and your blog. Im glad your back too.