Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 03, 2022

Acquired Tastes XLIII Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 119: Adonis Classics, Part 3 of 25

Acquired Tastes XLIII 
Gay Pulp Fiction, Part 119
Adonis Classics, Part 3 of 25

Greenleaf Classic Books, the publishers of  the Adonis Classics imprint, began in 1959 and continued until 1971, when management lost focus on the business as the government's prosecution for obscenity became a major concern.

By 1974,a new management team and staff were in place, operating out of an office at 7523 Raytheon Road in San Diego and production ceased on all existing imprints. In an attempt to break into mainstream markets, two new imprints were started which used cover art and titles that were not provocative. These efforts failed.

The year 1975 marks the end of  Greenleaf Classics' Vintage period. It is at this time, with the loosening of censorship laws, that the Adonis Classics imprint began production. It marks the end of Greenleaf Classic's Classic Age (1959-1975.) 

Adonis Classics would release a total of 252 titles during it's lifespan. 

The first twenty covers feature white backgrounds (with one exception) and colored drawings or black and white pencil illustrations. After the first two titles, a particular type-face was established, with the title appearing above the illustration. The distinctive Adonis Classics symbol was established with either the seventh or eighth title in the series.

After the first twenty titles, the imprint switched to their iconic red covers (though sometimes pink,) featuring a black and white illustration framed in a black circle which has an arrow attached - a universal sign designating something as 'male.' The book's title at the top of the cover is encased in a white circle with an arrow (the symbol for male.)

Today, we'll take a look at another ten titles, eight of which I was able to find covers for.



S/M Stud
Author: Kurt Kimble
AC 121 

I'm not sure what the difference is between the red and the pink versions. If you know, leave it in the comments section and I'll share it next week. Second printing? Different market? Different country?

The nice thing about this new format? There is more than one figure in the illustration. You see, I couldn't understand how I had nothing to say about the first twenty covers. Typically, I grab onto something I notice in the illustration and riff on it. But that's difficult when it's a lone figure because... there's no story. With two figures in the literal picture? There's a relationship, something happening, a setting... and that's just enough to create a story. Perhaps the publishers came to realize this as well, and that is the reason for the change? Potential buyers had to be intrigued enough by the possibility of what they observed in the illustration on the cover that they would actually buy the book. The illustration is the lure. I think that's at the root of my initial interest in gay vintage pulp fiction - the covers drew me in.

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Trucker Sucker
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 122 

Sorry about the tiny-sized graphic, but this is the best I could do. I'm having trouble finding some of these covers. Fortunately, William Maltese (Lambert Wilhelm) has an old website still up and accessible and he has a list of books he's written with an example of their covers. Unfortunately, he for some reason decided to make them very tiny scans with poor pixel quality, so... this is what you get.

Still? Better than nothing!

--- ---

Chopper Boy
Author: Kurt Kimble
AC 123 

The date in the corner of the cover is February 1976. I mention that so that you get a sense of how quickly the churn out product. 

The publisher is still playing it fairly safe with the cover art - no frontal nudity. But then, I think mere suggestion is sometimes far more effective than a blatant display. Take this cover, for example: A well-placed, filled-out crotch speaks volumes and helps fuel a potential buyer's imagination. 

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---


B&D Boys 
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 124

B&D stands for bondage and discipline (do you believe I had to Google it!)

Again, a well-placed crotch takes center focus. Quite effective. And that looks to be quite the potential work out. 

I don't think they offer this class at my gym. 

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Stable Boys
Author: Kurt Kimble
AC 125 
(Cover Not Found)

Aww. I love horses. And the notion of horny stable boys. 

I think that's what fueled Madonna's obsession with equestrian-themed bondage.

--- ---

Author: Curt McLean
AC 126

Ah, the seduction of a holy man.

The Catholic Church I last attended had a group of 'brothers' in residence. I sang with a couple of them in the choir and got to know them a bit. Let's just say... they gave off the weirdest vibes. I could never tell what was going on between us. In the end? I just began to avoid them, as I'd heard rumors and I was not going to get involved, as I had enough weirdness in my life to deal with as it was. 

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

Leather Bound
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 127 

I'm a vegetarian, but I do like leather. I no longer buy it or wear it, but I do love the smell of it, especially when warmed by some hunky man flesh. I've mentioned before how much I loved having sex on leather sheets... I couldn't get over how they just absorbed everything. 

Looking back, from this day and age of Covid-19 and Monkey Pox? 

It kind of loses its 'sexy.'

--- ---

Brother In Bondage
Author: Lambert Wilhelm
AC 128 

My older brother used to tie me up all the time. I hated it so much. And he was so mean. 

I do wonder how such interactions end up shaping our future sexual picadilloes. The idea of it grosses me out, but that sort of imprinting does happen. 

I experimented a little with bondage. I was almost always the one getting tied up. But that all ended after a dude tied me all up and then stood in the corner and smoked some crack. Yeah, it took a little acting on my part, but I eventually convinced him that I was having an allergic reaction to the fabric softener he used on his sheets and he let me go. 

As Whitney used to say in the day... crack is whack. 

--- ---

Well Hung
Author: Damon Marks
AC 129
(Cover Not Found)

I used to be a bit of a size queen. Oh, don't get me wrong, I still find the big ones impressive, but not all that useful - unless I'm in a certain mood (and that is happening less and less these days.)

Still, the sight of a big one at the prairie makes my heart soar. But it's unlikely that I would do anything with it other than smack it around. 

That's where handy-j's come in... er... handy! 

--- ---


Billy In Bondage 
Author: Kurt Kimble
AC 130

Well, it's nice to see they're getting a bit more creative with their titles. This one came out in May 1976. I do not find whipping sexual at all; there's a big disconnect in my mind when it comes to the two. The whole pain and pleasure thing? I get, in theory... but, for me, there are limits. Back in the days when I was still playing with a dude I call Mr. Fister - he would push those limits a lot (and was just devilishly handsome enough to get away with it.) But even then, our play was more degradation than punishment. 

Pain for pain's sake? Not my thing. Not even watching it. 

Available as a pdf or e-book at Hommi Publishing.

--- ---

And that's all for now.

Next week, another ten Adonic Classics.

Until then...

Thanks for reading!

Oh Bondage, Up Yours! - X-Ray Spex

2 comments:

whkattk said...

Some interesting titles...and they're always properly suggestive.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Did the covers become more... daring? The suggestion is sometimes out the window. Not that I'm complaining, but whoa.

XOXO