Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 09, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Sheila E.

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: 
Sheila E.

In my own personal big gay church there is a wing dedicated to those who belong to the Rhythm Nation. These divas got us to think, encouraged us to love and respect ourselves, made us feel sexy as hell and... most importantly, got us to dance! One diva has been bringing the magic to dance floors for decades and to this day manages to get our feet moving to the beat.

One such magical soul sister?

Sheila E. 

In the home of her father, Latin music legend Peter Escovedo, the beat was everywhere. How could it not become part of her?

This diva took that gift and found her own way. 

For a time, Prince served as mentor and a conduit, bringing her energy and joy to the world.

Infectious, jubilant and sexy as hell, her rhythmic magic captivated us, sending us running to the dance floor time after time. 

And she never stopped. She evolved, she grew - as both a person and a musician.

To this day, she remains as vital and vibrant as she was her first day on the scene.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The topic? A Life In Music

"That's how we grew up - kinda like Pops would put his drums, his percussion and instruments into the car and we would just go to a facility in the Bay Area and he would say to us, 'You think we have it bad? There are people worse off than we are. Let's go give back to the kids.' And that's how we grew up."

"Having that music around us all the time, it was so inspiring. But at the same time, I was a kid. I didn't pay attention to any of it. I'd get on the drums and hit them a few times, and then go outside and play."

"Don't forget, I was a musician long before I ever met Prince. That's a big difference between me and those other women he's worked with. We operate on the same plane, as equals."

"The point in me playing with Prince was to let a lot of people know that I can play trap. I don't think people know that."

"I like being in the back. I've done that for so many years, I'm really comfortable doing it. I don't like the solo thing as much as I like playing drums behind someone."

"My genre of music is very eclectic. I might play some Latin jazz, or just go into a spontaneous jazz thing. That's the thing about coming to one of my performances. Not every show is the same."

"To me, the stage is like my living room, or my home, and when you come over to my house, I have to be a hostess and invite you in so that we can have a great time."

"Engaging with the audience lets them know I'm approachable. I don't like that whole, 'You can't talk to Sheila E thing' - I don't like that."

"I want to be entertained, so if I want to be entertained, I know if I'm going to play, I want to make sure that you're entertained and that I'm having a great time. I really do love what I do."

The Glamorous Life - Sheila E.

A Love Bizarre - Sheila E.

Sex Cymbal - Sheila E.

And on last parting shot...

"The youth are very important to me, they're the next generation, but I want to instill in kids, even in playing, that it's never too late and there's no right or wrong way to do anything."

"The break down for kids is communication. Music helps bring that bond."

"I love talking to the youth and helping them as much as I can or encouraging them, if I can help them at all."



2 comments:

Bob said...

Love her; trailblazer.

Mistress Maddie said...

I love me a lot of Sheila E!!! Her contribution to music have been far and wide. I'm so glad you're included my all-time favorite song or hers sex symbol