Followers

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 30, 2022

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip: Brandy

Sunday Diva/Three From The Hip:
Brandy

In my own personal big gay church there is a wing dedicated to those who belong to the Rhythm Nation. These divas got us to think, encouraged us to love and respect ourselves, made us feel sexy as hell and... most importantly, got us to dance! These divas has been bringing the magic to dance floors for decades and to this day manages to get our feet moving to the beat.

One such dancefloor diva?

Brandy Norwood... but you can just call her, Brandy.

The Vocal Bible.

B-Rocka.

Slayana, The Slay Queen

Inspired by jazz greats, she's honed her distinctive sound by mixing her chest voice with her head voice, summoning an airy, buttery quality to her songs which remains as undeniably alluring as it is unique. 

Her life in the limelight began when she was still a young girl, of 15. Competing in a very adult R&B market, she held her own and took command of the charts.

Television broadened her appeal and she soon found herself the idol of millions of pre-teen girls.

As for the hits? Well, they just kept coming.

But as one ages, the kinds of hits life has to offer are the kind that can take a toll. 

Hell, they can knock the breath right outta you.

A string of failed high profile romances. Motherhood. A tragic automobile accident. Being a role model. She took it all in stride... or so it seemed.

And then, one day? She stepped away. 

For four years... nary a ripple.

Then? 

She came back with a roar. 

Yes, times and markets had changed, but the lady's talent? That remained undeniable. 

As for that latest setback...

Recently, it seems she's been dealing with a few health-related issues.

Good news is, as of October 12th, she "getting the rest she needs."

Yes, my dears, it is true! Even divas need a day off, now and then.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Because this light? For the world to make sense? 

It needs to shine.

The gospel according to her?

Well, here are three from the hip, dropping from her lips.

The Topic: Taking A Break

"I definitely felt like I needed a break, because when you do so much, you’re not able to appreciate the things that you accomplish."

"It’s easy to just give everything up, but it takes a lot of strength and a lot of willpower to just make yourself stay on it and get up and do something different. And I had to do that."

"When you get a chance to step back, you notice all these great things you’ve done and all these great people that you’ve worked with."

'So when you get a chance to look at things and chill and relax, it makes you want it more, and that’s why I’m so happy to be back!"



"It just feels like I’m on the right path musically and I’m in the right mindset to continue out my mission in music because I’m not putting myself in a box."

"I needed to explore my talent and versatility and see if I had another side to me, another sound."

"In my life right now, in my music, and just overall I feel like I’m winning. It doesn’t matter what this person is saying or what the charts are saying or what award shows are saying, the public opinion doesn’t matter. I feel like I’m winning in my spirit."

“I’ve had to come through a lot and I’ve made a lot of different mistakes, but I realized that I never gave up. I wanted to so badly.”

“I’m very proud of myself because I have come so close to just giving up and I haven’t done that.”

“My daughter, I can’t give up because she’s watching and she’s here and she’s waiting for me to be an example. So, between her, myself, and my will, and me pushing myself, that’s my inspiration.”

“It’s easy to just give everything up, but it takes a lot of strength and a lot of willpower to just make yourself stay on it and get up and do something different. And I had to do that.”

Sittin' Up In My Room - Brandy

What About Us? - Brandy

Baby Mama - Brandy feat. Chance The Rapper

And one last parting shot...

“I’m my biggest inspiration. And I say this in the most humble way. I’ve been through so much, just in my life.”

“I think it’s really finding that belief in yourself, where you just have it no matter what’s going on, no matter what anyone else says. I think that’s the challenge, is to really have that belief in yourself.”

Stay true to yourself because it goes a long way. If you don’t know who you are, who are you really?


The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica

No comments: